ASUS ROG Zephyrus GX501 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by HamzimusPrime, May 20, 2017.

1. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Not sure if Asus has a working GPU tuning tool for that model, but MSI's Afterburner usually works, and you might be able to adjust the power as well as the GPU core / memory speeds too.

You might need to disable or uninstall ROG Gaming Center first, and install Intel XTU as well to tune the CPU.

Also MSI Afterburner is bundled with RTSS which lets you set up a Frame Limiter setting, I usually set to Refresh - 1, with or without G-sync, to reduce CPU / GPU load rendering frames not used.

MSI Afterburner
    https://us.msi.com/page/afterburner

Intel XTU
    https://downloadcenter.intel.com/do...treme-Tuning-Utility-Intel-XTU-?product=66427

2. SteveEricJordan

SteveEricJordan Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yeah, that's also what i do.
    125 undervolt, LM repasting, power plan to 1-99 and limiting frames to 60 fps.
    With all these steps i get max temps of 78 while gaming. But it seems like some people here get those temps with just repasting so i propably didn't do the best repasting job possible.
    But 78 max temps seems the limit for the Zephyrus, i didn't see better temps for this device anywhere.
    I want to drop the temps as low as they can get because i need some space for when i'm gaming in the summer at friends places where there is much higher temperatures than at my place and also i'm using the device on my lap so the lower the temperatures - the better.
    I know that's not good for my legs, but please don't argue about this like all people i tell that do.

3. hmscott

Reputations:
    If you are saying you edited teh Advanced Settings for your active Windows Power plan for CPU Performance to 1% Min and 99% Max, you have disabled Turbo completely, and are running at base clock only, that's a big performance drop...

I'd suggest 0% - 100%, that way you get Turbo Boost which comes in handy during heavy CPU demand sections of games / apps, and with 0% set you downclock completely during idle periods on each core independently.

It shouldn't raise temps much, as you already undervolt, which kicks in most during highest CPU load's, which is during Turbo time.

Do you OS your CPU? If it is OC'able, and you set each Core multiplier, you could stagger the multipliers favoring 1 and 2 threads, and reduce the multiplier for core 3/4 to save power without much of a performance hit.

Otherwise it looks good. :)

What GPU tuning have you done? Have you tried MSI Afterburner and undervolted the GPU?

4. SteveEricJordan

SteveEricJordan Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Wait, it's also possible to undervolt the GPU? Tell me more.
    How would turbo boost affect temperatures? I just deactivated it on my way to lowest temps possible because i had enough fps in every game i play anyway, so i thought why not. But if it's not really worth it i would change it again. I set it to 0-100 now and will test that for a while.

hmscott likes this.
  5. hmscott

Reputations:
    IDK if it's locked out on this model, but it's worth a try, at least you can set more finely the GPU Core and memory speeds. :)

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+undervolt+with+msi+afterburner

And, yes the 99% cuts off Turbo boost and limits your CPU to base frequency only. A rather drastic cut in performance. Now that you have undervolted and LM'd you should be fine to restore your CPU to full performance. :)

6. GreggoG

GreggoG Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm pretty sure the core voltage on the GPU is locked, at least it was locked out in MSI Afterburner. But you can adjust the curves though, that should help decrease the temps a bit if my understanding of curved is correct :/ There are plenty of youtube tutorials to watch.

hmscott likes this.
  7. Marlon Estella

Marlon Estella Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Just received my GX501VSK (1070 version).
    It's a used/refurbished unit, and so far so good.
    Clean install of Windows 10 Pro, so I had to reinstall all utilities to get the keyboard rgb and touchpad/numpad to work.
    No issues as of yet.
    Previously had a Gigabyte P35W V5 (5700HQ and 970m), so this is a huge upgrade for me.

Small, nitpicky things:
    1. Red LEDs on the side are kind of annoying. I will mainly use this as my work laptop, and it doesn't look very professional.
    2. Arrow keys are very small.
    3. Seems like I received the bulkier charger, and not the slimmer one (again small, first world problems, lol).

Good (and surprising) things:
    1. Trackpad placement and usage is actually very cool. It feels more natural than having the trackpad on the bottom.
    2. Keyboard placement is surprisingly good. I thought this was the toughest to get used to, but it doesn't feel any different from a regular desktop keyboard placement (away from monitor). Actually it makes more sense, and I'm happy to know that my hands won't sweat as much when I game (due to less heat from internals underneath keyboard).
    3. Speakers aren't as bad as what I've read. It's not good, but it's not bad either.

***Only thing ASUS that I've installed is Aura Center (for keyboard rgb customization). I'll be using Intel XTU to undervolt, and hopefully MSI Afterburner to overclock gpu.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
  8. Jesse Rockwell

Jesse Rockwell Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi. Been using the GX501 1080 version for a few months now without any issues. I do a lot of photo and video editing and this thing flies thru 4k footage. Awesome.

Also, my temps while gaming have never gotten above 75 on the GPU and 80 on the CPU. I am very into modding Bethesda games, and that really pushes the GPU. I have not undervolted or done any modifications. Did I just get lucky???

I recently encountered the speaker issue though. It's strange as it goes away if I turn off the Sonic Suite Bloatware, but returns soon after. I rarely use the speakers, so it's not a huge deal, but is there really no other way than opening the beast up?

I also d/led new Realtek drivers from the Asus page, and now Sonic Suite throws an error saying it can't find the audio driver on startup, and the program no longer works.........

Any help appreciated

9. GreggoG

GreggoG Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Curious, after the computers warmed up, but idle, what temps are you guys getting?

I had mine connected to my TV (720p), and after I stopped gaming, it idled around the high 50s/low 60s. I thought that was pretty odd. Later I disconnected the HDMI cable and the temps immediately dropped to mid 40s. Anyone have any idea what might be going on?

10. Jesse Rockwell

Jesse Rockwell Newbie

Reputations:
    I get 35-40 GPU and CPU idle. That's odd about the HDMI. The lid was open right?

hmscott likes this.