ASUS ROG Zephyrus GX501 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'ASUS Gaming Notebook Forum' started by HamzimusPrime, May 20, 2017.

1. thebigbadchef

thebigbadchef Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    They will work. Don't worry. You can select between DESKTOP GTX 10XX or LAPTOP GTX 10XX drivers.

Pick laptop and you'll be fine. U dont need a 'specific' max-q driver.

Marlon Estella likes this.
  2. thebigbadchef

Reputations:
    I have repasted my GX501 just last week. Unfortunately I think I will have to redo it so I will attempt to video it and upload to youtube and perhaps share it here.

I used LM and I've recently noticed that the temps on each core vary by A LOT (core1,2 and 3 are quite ok'ish - however on core4 I keep noticing a huge difference in temps: example: light usage: core1,2,3 average temps 45C and core4 avg temps 55C) - which can only mean 3 things:
    -bad copper heatsink (not quite as flat as it should be) - which is bad.
    -uneven LM surface/contact - unlikely
    -screws aren't quite tight making the heatsink press just on one side of the CPU - likely
    -a combination of all these options - unlikely

I will do it in a few days as I am waiting for a T5 screwdriver to arrive. I also ordered K5 pro paste in case I have to re-apply the thermal pads.

I'll keep you posted.

3. SteveEricJordan

SteveEricJordan Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I would love if you could make a video.
    Did the 8 screw "arms" around the cpu and gpu also bend down for you when you screw them btw.?

4. thebigbadchef

Reputations:
    That could also be a problem.
    As I was putting the heatsink back in its place I noticed that the 8 'arms' did not give any resistance whatsoever. I might have to carefully adjust these (lift them up a bit).

5. GreggoG

GreggoG Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Do you know what thread size/length the screws that hold down the CPU/GPU are? I've opened it up a few times and it looks like the screws heads are beginning to show a little bit of wear. Just thinking for the future in case I ever need to open it up again.

6. Marlon Estella

Marlon Estella Notebook Guru

Reputations:

I found a video of a complete tear down of the GX501. However, it is (i believe) Korean, and though I don't understand it, the tear down seems pretty straightforward (like i didn't realize the fans are separate from the heatsinks).

7. thebigbadchef

Reputations:
    My god he actually kept the keyboard hanging onto the 3 keyboard/touchpad/led connectors for the whole duration of the video. Please don't do that. You will destroy your connectors:
    upload_2018-4-16_18-28-58.png

Vistar Shook likes this.
  8. Marlon Estella

Marlon Estella Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    upload_2018-4-16_11-25-42.png

Yeah these two sections scared me.

9. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Actually, removing those kind of connectors from their retained socket can be deadly too, if you break the retaining clip, or snap off a tab, your cable won't stay in the socket, then you have to figure out some way to tape it, glue it, or some other creative way to keep it connected. Not disconnecting them, without putting a strain on the cable / connector is optimal, but difficult, there usually isn't much slack in the cable.

Another reason I suggest never re-pasting; if you can tune your way around the thermals, CPU undervolt, OS power plan, Application settings, RTSS / Gsync / Vsync FPS limit to refresh, fan curve, all are better choices than getting into the hardware.

10. GreggoG

GreggoG Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Props to that guy for making a full tutorial, but he had some big pitfalls. Most notably the fact that he didn't disconnect the ZIF cables. Second, he didn't really clean the surfaces off, he just dry rubbed a q-tip on it. Use rubbing alcohol to get a better surface. Three, he lifted up the heatsink and then reapplied it later but hadn't redone the VRMs, could cause air bubbles.

hmscott likes this.