ASUS ROG Zephyrus GX501 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by HamzimusPrime, May 20, 2017.

1. thebigbadchef

thebigbadchef Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So a 2 hr session of PUBG got the CPU up to 76 C. I think this is reasonable. I am actually so satisfied with this change.

mason2smart and Vistar Shook like this.
  2. GreggoG

GreggoG Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I ordered the thermal pads on Amazon, should be here on Thursday. I am holding off on doing any serious gaming until then. Although now in retrospect, I'm confused about something. Like I mentioned before, when I played BF1 at ultra everything 1080p 120Hz, my GPU temps were in the low 80's, but my CPU temps were astronomical. When I plug my laptop into my TV which is 1366x768 @ 60 Hz and play BF1, temps on both the CPU and GPU only got up into the 60s.

That would suggest that both are being taxed less than at the higher resolution, but why would the CPU temperature drop? I can understand the GPU dropping, it's not rendering as large a picture and at only half the frame rate. But the CPU is running just as many calculations as it was before. The only thing I can think of off of the top of my head is the shared heatpipe design, but that would imply that the GPU is adding 30 degrees to the CPU. I guess that's plausible but then why would the GPU only get up to 80?

mason2smart likes this.
  3. SteveEricJordan

SteveEricJordan Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    -

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
    mason2smart likes this.
  4. thebigbadchef

Reputations:
    Yes 0.5 mm pads work fine for me.

Hmm, how come you cannot answer your 2nd question. Come on you can't be serious :)

Of course you remove the old pads/factory paste. I would suggest you use isopropyl alcohol to remove the residue (works for both CPU/GPU thermal paste and VRMS and other components + heatsinks).

Vistar Shook and mason2smart like this.
  5. mason2smart

mason2smart Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I also recommend keeping an eye on the Battery Health %'s as a proportionality to the number of recharge cycles.

The left shift key squeaks on my brand new replacement unit....

hmscott likes this.
  6. thebigbadchef

Reputations:
    Last update on this. Several long gaming sessions done and I am proud to say that I saved this laptop's life!
    Max CPU temp: 78C
    Max GPU temp: 76C

Huge improvement from 94C.

For anyone out there that decides to use LM please make sure you know what you are doing as this operation is quite risky if applied improperly and without taking all safety measures.

hmscott and Vistar Shook like this.
  7. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Have you undervolted yet? You could have dropped load temps from 94c to 84-85c just from a software change, rather than risking opening your laptop, and now you may have no warranty...did you ask Asus if it is ok to re-paste - always good to get that ok from them in writing (email/ticket) to use in your defense later should you RMA.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
    thebigbadchef likes this.
  8. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    It's like a new pair of shoes, it needs some time to wear in. :)

Are you still gonna swap that one for a Coffee Lake 6c/12t??

mason2smart likes this.
  9. mason2smart

mason2smart Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    My new unit also has battery drainage when running Middle Earth Shadow of War...
    Can anyone reproduce this issue?

As far as I can remember, my previous GX501 did not suffer from the same problem....

Attached Files:

hmscott likes this.
  10. thebigbadchef

Reputations:
    I can;t be bothered to go through another awful customer support situation. Last time I contacted Asus about a ROG device it was taking about 3 weeks in between their responses.

I would like to think I am more than capable of repasting my CPU/GPU.

I do know this voids the warranty but then again I like the risk - sounds silly I know but in about 15 years I have never had a laptop going dead on me that required me to ship it to the manufacturer. And I've had a lot of laptops (probably around 8 or 9).

Whenever I purchase a new device I try to test and push its limits for a while before repasting - if it has a manufacturing fault - it will either break down whilst I am testing it or as just after buying it.

Again - none of these have happened to me (lucky I guess).

On all brand new laptops I actually advise you do a repaste as the stock paste is just incredibly bad. At least that's how I do it.

For about 4 years now I have started using LM (on a MacBook Pro, an older Asus Rog, MSI gt83 this Zephyrus and on a few other friends' laptops). I cannot recommend LM repaste enough (ONLY IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING - cant stress this enough).

I sold my old Asus Rog (LM applied on both CPU and GPU - i7 4820hq and GTX 980m) and I am still in touch with new owner. He has had the laptop for nearly 14 months now. He never had to repaste it. Temps are still as they were when I sold it to him. He will however have my guidance and support when the time to repaste it will come.

hmscott and Vistar Shook like this.