ASUS ROG Zephyrus GX501 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by HamzimusPrime, May 20, 2017.

1. GreggoG

GreggoG Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The piece right above the top copper pad.

2. thebigbadchef

thebigbadchef Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Oh lol - sorry was overthinking it. You mean the whole "aluminium" like heatsink under the copper heatsink right? This:
    [​IMG]

No. That will not come off - it is not soldered to the copper heatsink though. Its just part of the whole "build" sort of speak.

GreggoG likes this.
  3. GreggoG

Reputations:
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
  4. thebigbadchef

Reputations:
    Stock thermal paste (no undervolt) XTU 60 min stress test CPU temp: 94 C
    Stock thermal paste gaming session (no undervolt) (PUBG, Dota2, Witcher III, GTA V): highest 95C on CPU and 88C on GPU

Grizzly Liquid Metal temps after first 35 min of Prime95 stress test (max heat settings, CPU intense tasks) (undervolted -125 mV): 68C

Safe to say Liquid Metal saved my Zephyrus' life.

Gaming temps will follow.

[​IMG]

5. thebigbadchef

Reputations:
    Interesting - this hasn't happened to me. The copper heatsink came out entirely + the arch-shaped heatsink + the 2 fans due to the fans being attached to the heatsink (sticky thermal tape). I did not take the fans off. He might have done that and I suspect the arch-shaped heatsink shares the sticky thermal tape with one of the fans.

GreggoG likes this.
  6. GreggoG

Reputations:
    Hmmmm, odd. I guess maybe I just have to give it some gentle persuasion or check for a retention screw.

I was also considering beefing up the M.2 thermal pad. Do you know what thickness that one is by any chance?

7. thebigbadchef

Reputations:
    I did not remove my M.2 NVME drive but I am sure once you remove it you'll know what you need. To be honest I did not see a thermal pad ON the NVME drive - it might be underneath? No idea.
    I'll keep the 500GB for a while and will look to upgrade to 1 TB as they're quite pricey at the moment.

GreggoG likes this.
  8. SteveEricJordan

SteveEricJordan Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    -

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
  9. GreggoG

Reputations:
    Yeah it's underneath. It's probably not 100% necessary, but can't hurt. The one on there is pretty small, I'm thinking full coverage would be better.

10. thebigbadchef

Reputations:
    I have been running Prime95 for almost 90 minutes straight now. I am also downloading Steam games in the background but after CPU heat stress test for 90 minutes I got a max of 68 C (at about 24-25 room temperature - which is normal room temp) - this value used to be 90C with stock thermal paste.

If the stock one Asus used was the k5 pro paste - chances are there will be a little bit of a negative impact as you removed the heatsink. Personally I change thermal pads on every repaste. Some people still like to use old thermal pads - I don't. Perhaps check your temps and keep it in mind for next repaste to get thermal pads or K5pro paste and replace old ones.

Vistar Shook likes this.