Asus ROG Zephyrus GX501 - GTX 1080 MaxQ OC?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by pitha1337, Aug 30, 2017.

1. pitha1337

pitha1337 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Do not understand your point, all full 1080 Laptops I know are very heavy and bulky. The zephyrus is esepcially for people who like thin and light notebooks which they can carry arround. When I think about the Alienware 17R4 this is much to heavy. Besides that the 1080p screen is far enough for the 1080MQ. Nevertheless everyone should choose the laptop which fits the personal needs. For me it is heaving a light high performance gaming laptop which can be easily carried :)

2. don_svetlio

don_svetlio Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I still don't see any portability in the GX501 with only 2 hours of battery life. I can't really use it away from a power outlet so the weight/size factor becomes a semi-moot point. The ZenBook Pro - now that's portable. You can use it for 8 hours without a charge being needed.

ThatOldGuy likes this.
  3. pitha1337

pitha1337 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Agree with the battery life...2 hours is just nonsense. Nevertheless I will never use a gaming laptop without the AC Adapter because the low battery life while gaming and the reduce of graphics power. So in combination for me the ASUS Zephyrus is a very nice compromise.

4. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Except the Zephurus is not a laptop... because you cannot use it on your lap; even if plugged in. Got the flappy bottom cover to bend on your lap, and ridiculous keyboard placement for awkward close typing. Only worth using as a DTR; but in that case, why does it have to be so thin?

You can get MSI 16L13 with full GTX 1080 at only 6.4 Lbs, and 1.6" thick doesn't "look sleek" but it is hardly bulky.

don_svetlio likes this.
  5. skyFox90

skyFox90 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    For that reason i don’t want to buy it, i mean i love this laptop but i don’t like few things, the first one is the screen, at this price they could put on it a 3k screen 120hz and i don’t like even the cpu on it and battery life.

6. knibbler

knibbler Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    This really is the kind of laptop that's hard to judge without having it in hand.
    Its got a lesser gtx1080 that with a 200mhz overclock can almost reach stock gtx1080 levels of performance. Mine holds that speed no problem and stays under 80c playing Pubg.

Thats unheard of before at that dB and thicknesses . If it overclocked and wasn't able to cool then I would understand the problem but this laptop delivers. So call it a dumbed down 1080 or a souped up 1070, but it wouldn't be able to stay cool in this chassis at that level of performance unless a 1080 was used and then optimized.

Keyboard aside, this may be the only laptop ever created that can actually be used for gaming on one's lap. (maybe there has been a laptop before with no intake on the bottom?) It doesn't need a cooler or have a bottom vent to worry about.
    Realistically Id bet a lot of us put their lappies on our beds in the evening. Is there any other gaming laptop in the world that can survive on a bed without a laptop tray underneath?

Not to mention finally being able to play graphically intensive games without the fans creeping up and blasting away, reminding us why we have to wear headphones and deal with our wives waking up and freaking. Lol

What it says it will do it does so well. That's all I'm trying to say.

Soggygravy and pitha1337 like this.
  7. Soggygravy

Soggygravy Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

Perfectly stated.

We all understand that we can put a desktop in our backpack and plug it in places but we value something that won't make us all cripples for carrying it around not to mention piss off our wife or roommate. I got a Dead in arrival zephyrus from Amazon refurb and my replacement arrives today, looking forward to putting it to the test. Had a hard time deciding between this or a gtx 1070 like the aero 15x or msi stealth