]]>

Asus ROG Zephyrus GX501 - Dissasembly and Repaste?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by pitha1337, Sep 5, 2017.

1. pitha1337

pitha1337 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hi@ all, repasted the ASUS 5 minutes ago with Gelid - GC Extreme. So haven't used liquid metal yet. Here are my results. I will post some pictures of the disassembly soon. It is very easy by the way :)

10 Minutes Prime and -125mv undervolted and of course repasted^^

Attached Files:

2. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Nice work, you completely removed the core temp differential, and the overall temp is some of the best I've seen while running prime95 on a laptop, no need to go further :)

ThatOldGuy likes this.
  3. rene_Canlas

rene_Canlas Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks! Waiting for your disassembly guide :)

corteen and hmscott like this.
  4. Ambrosios

Ambrosios Newbie

Reputations:
    so is there some pictures of the repaste...or after the heatsink has been removed? i am tempted to do it...already got some thermal grizzly...but there doesn't seem to have anything online that shows a repaste....and i rather watch the process before i actually do it myself

Last edited: Oct 27, 2017
    hmscott likes this.
  5. Storm5ive

Storm5ive Newbie

Reputations:
    Here is my 3DMark Fire Strike Score after Repaste with Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut and OC with MSI Afterburner:

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/14386195

I also undervolt the CPU with -125ms. Repaste was simple and took me about an hour. When you open the case you have to remove 13 screws. 3 from the left Radiator, 2 from the right one and 8 for CPU and GPU. After that you have to remove the Black Label on the left Radiator where the white and black wifi cable goes through and the connection for the right fan. I also used a couple of Thermal Pads after cleaning.

Very happy with the Zephyrus now, temperatures are also fine, great Gaming Machine.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
    corteen likes this.
  6. Syndfull

Syndfull Newbie

Reputations:
    I've got the Gx501VIK model (1070 max-q) of the Zephyrus. I'm thinking I may do a repaste but am posting here to ask whether this is necessary and to ask for advice towards appropriate steps.

• Why am I considering repasting?
    I want my laptop to last ~5-6 years and I'm worried about heat produced affecting the lifespan. I game ~10-20 hours/wk. I will be going back to school in 2 years and won't be able to afford a new laptop in the future.
    • What do temps look like now?
    Running prime95 small FTTs 8 threads for ~27minutes produces this at an undervolt of -125mv. Idle is stable with 39-40C averages.
    • Why am I worried?
    To be honest: I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to a gaming laptop. I've always owned a desktop and this is a desktop replacement. I have repasted desktops I've built before. Unfortunately, I need to have a laptop for the portability it affords. I know I'd like to have temps under 80C. Considering that my best undervolt produces the temps above, I'm worried I have a bad unit and need to repaste. I need advice if this is a necessary step to ensure my laptop lasts as long as I need it to.
    • What other options am I considering?
    Trading up w/ cash for an Aorus X7 or possibly a delidded Clevo/Sager unit. Trading down w/ cash for an EVGA SC17. As long as I can ensure it 1.) looks professional 2.) will have great performance and 3.) will last quite a while, I am up for suggestions.

Thanks for any help anyone can give me.