Asus ROG Zephyrus GX501 - Dissasembly and Repaste?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by pitha1337, Sep 5, 2017.

1. pitha1337

pitha1337 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Okay, will try another 10 minute session with prime. First I undervolted with -100mv and this was fine so I tried -125mv. I had one or two freezes but I think this was becasue a too high OC of MSI Afterburner. After disabling this OC no crash occured even in long gaming sessions e.g. BF1 for 1 hour.

hmscott likes this.
  2. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    The OC is cool, you just need to adjust the undervolt to match the voltage needs of the additional OC :)

It's good to undervolt at stock speeds to get a good baseline for maximum undervolt, so as you OC you know to reduce the undervolt as needed to gain stability at the new OC.

It's good to completely remove the undervolt, and do the OC on stock BIOS voltage, then when you find the top OC, you can then see if there is any voltage margin left by trying an undervolt.

If there is no undervolt margin at the top OC with stock BIOS voltage, this tells you there might be more OC available by *overvolting* :)

Then you can overvolt by +50mV at top OC and then see if you can OC a bit more, and a bit more, until unstable again, then increase overvolt by +5mV to +10mV.

It's a good plan to ratchet up in increments like this to bracket stability, undervolt, OC, and then overvolt. Culminating in finding top OC + overvolt to the limits of your cooling, and then undervolting slightly - back off the overvolt by -1mV at a time to complete the tuning.

Don't let that all scare you off, you'll discover this on your own as you explore the limits, in your own time.

Have fun :)

Darkhan likes this.
  3. pitha1337

pitha1337 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Here is my 10 minutes prime test with -125mv. Core diffentials are bit high aren't they?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
    hmscott likes this.
  4. hmscott

Reputations:
    Not optimal, but not fatal. Under 10c and without thermal throttling on the hottest cores, you are still ok, but there is room for improvement :)

To fix the core temp differential it would require redoing the thermal pads - replacing with thinner pads or K5 Pro - typically. And, replacing the paste too.

You might have uneven tightening of the screws around the heatplate, first thing to check. Don't pull the heatplate - reseating introduces air bubbles that make it worse, instead loosen the screws and retighten them in a cross pattern, 1/2 turn at a time to get even pressure across the plate against the CPU. After it's all tight again, test again for core temp differential.

Good luck :)

ThatOldGuy likes this.
  5. pitha1337

pitha1337 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Do you know how thick the thermal pads which are currently attached are?

Still searching for disassembly guide. Am I the only person who wants to remove the heatsink ? :D

hmscott likes this.
  6. hmscott

Reputations:
    Probably :)

Most people get what they want from undervolting... turning on the Balanced Power Plan with CPU min/max of 0%/100% so the CPU can downclock during idle time and between load lets the laptop cool down too. High Performance Power Plan runs at full speed all the time (except for power and thermal throttle) 100%/100%.

Read the thread, do some googling, I've seen mention of pad thickness for various Asus models. :)

7. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Look closer, 16c between Core 3 and core 0. Still not fatal, but that is big

@pitha1337, you may be able to simply tighten the heat-sink without damaging the warranty sticker. With a core differential that large, good chance one of the sides is not screwed down as tight as the others. Do what @hmscott said with loosening and tightening

hmscott likes this.
  8. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 what is quality control?

Reputations:
    doing 100/100 isn't worth for anything other than benchmarking

for battery I would recommend 1/99 and plugged in 5/100

I use this on all of my systems

hmscott likes this.
  9. hmscott

Reputations:
    Good idea for the battery operation, 99% disables Turbo and reduces CPU power draw - and performance - quite a bit.

I don't use battery mode much, so I don't think of it when recommending AC settings, thanks :)

10. hmscott

Reputations:
    You measure the differential between odd and between even cores, 0/2 and 1/3, those pairs are physically near each other, so if half the CPU is under less pressure / contact this differential shows up.

The 0/3 differential is likely due to stray processes loading / running during Prime - like a system update or telemetry report run, typically - or another program indexing.

Core 0 is usually the core that gets a couple extra degree's from random single thread's as well.
    I've seen this a few times, so there is a chance re-tightening the screws around the heatplate is enough to get the temperature differential down below 5c.

ThatOldGuy likes this.