Asus ROG Zephyrus G15-GA503 ( New 2021)

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by IKAS V, Jan 15, 2021.

Tags:
  1. seanwee

seanwee Father of laptop shunt modding

Reputations:
    When overclocked, yes. But there are better performing laptops which have mux switches (enables switching to dgpu only mode) which the new Zephyrus laptops lack. I recommended the Legion 5 Pro because it has both a ryzen cpu, a mux switch and max-p gpus instead of max-q gpus.

Spartan@HIDevolution and DreDre like this.
  2. Mr JmG

Mr JmG Newbie

Reputations:
    You should check the benchmarks, but I don't think this would be an upgrade, GPU/FPS wise.
    G15 Zephyrus is somewhat limited (80/100W TGP), you should fine a less restricted unit for this to be an upgrade.
    I went from a i7 8750H / 1070 Max-Q to i7 5900HS / 3080 which definitely is an upgrade. This AMD processor is a beast, compared to the i7, and the 3080 performs way better than my 1070 - both 80W (3080 with a boost to 100).

Vistar Shook and seanwee like this.
  3. mario64

mario64 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thanks for the response. It seems that Time Spy on the G15 is about 2000 points higher than my Blade. Not sure how that translates into real world FPS though.

4. mario64

mario64 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    My Best Buy G15 3070 does not have that option in Nvidia control panel but strangely System Info shows it as enabled.

5. njramsfan

njramsfan Newbie

Reputations:
    Anybody have this weird issue where g15 3070 reboots instead if shutting down when selecting shut down?? Lol. It's random and when it happens I have to turn off via power button.

6. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    The 3070 and 3080 versions of the G15 are back in stock at Best Buy.

7. pitha1337

pitha1337 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hello everyone, I have the Asus Zephyrus G15 with AMD 5800H and RTX 3080.

Yesterday I repasted my GPU with LM and added an additional SSD. I was shocked how bad the Liquid Metal was applied to the CPU. Unfortunately the barrier which should hold back the LM on the CPU was not "set" correctly. I modified this a bit an now everything should be fine. Dropped my CPU temps about 4°C. On GPU (the thermal paste was a desaster...) temps were dropped by about 6°C with LM. Overall the buid quallity is great and the screen is beatiful. Only some very minor backlight bleeding on the top of the bezel (only visible with max brightness and in a dark environment on black background).

Do you have some additional hints how to further improve performance on the G15? In Turbo mode my GPU runs at about 95W. Currently I switch between performance mode and balanced mode. Does someone use manual mode? In summary the 3080 (max-q 80-100W) runs like the 3070 Max-P (140W) in the Lenovo Legion 5 Pro. Someone would say go for the Legion but the design and weight of the G15 ist just great (very great for portability).

8. kimbap_man

kimbap_man Newbie

Reputations:
    so disheartened by asus laptops, the gotta be my 5th laptop exchange...anymore and I'll end up getting tagged as some sort of return fraud by BestBuy at this point.

first g14 2021 constant BSOD
    second g14 sound popping
    decided to switch it up hp omen 2021 flimsy af and constant fans at idle with no fan curve control
    first g15 back light bleed galore
    second g15 perfect screen.. literally no blb to be seen. booted up a game and not one minute later, some random granny shows up my door and asks to join for tea sessh

there was no tea.

this incredibly high pitch steam noise cannot be normal. only gpu side. cpu side is a cool whooosh.

can't even go to the physical store no more, dudes will think im crazy.
    I'll probably just ship this one back and live in shame

i was in the middle of checking out 13NR04J0T03111 (vga fan for GA503QS) then i realized I shouldn't have to purchase parts already for a new device.

EDIT: purchased another one online BESTBUY.. going to compare the two.

Last edited: May 21, 2021
  9. Gebirgskuchen

Gebirgskuchen Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I had had luck, getting the GA503 with 3080 for only 1780€ as B-Ware. I hope that it won't have any of the typical problems, which were claimed in this thread.

I'll let you know in the next days.

10. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I purchased a 3080 G15 but promptly returned it as it idles at least 10 degrees warmer than my XPS 17, plus the AMD GPU driver would not never load, not even with a clean installation of either the software or operating system.