Asus ROG Zephyrus G15-GA503 ( New 2021)

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by IKAS V, Jan 15, 2021.

Tags:
  1. vetch

vetch Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Wow, that's really interesting! You've got overclocked 3080 performance there so an excellent result. Shame that you lose the USB-C outs though.

So you've tried flashing higher TDP bioses from Asus and none of them worked (and from other vendors too like MSI)? Do you mind be asking where you got the bios files from? I've been keeping an eye on Techpowerup.com's vbios archive but there aren't any on there (apart from mine is which I uploaded).

2. Talon

Talon Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I’ve been google “3070 laptop vbios techpowerup” and watching google drops. They don’t list the unverified directly I don’t think so I’ve managed to find a few 3070 files that way. I’ve also asked a few people on Reddit to do dumps for me so I’ve gotten a couple that way.

MSI has vbios files for some of their new laptops to add ReSizeBar support not there at launch/shipment.

https://www.msi.com/Laptop/support/GS66-Stealth-10UH#down-bios

This is the 3080 GS66. They don’t differentiate the 8gb and 16gb file so I assume it works for both. But not certain. I would be curious if it acted the same way on your 3080 G15.

Edit: to figure out the TDP of each rom I was plugging them into that old Pascal TDP Tweaker. It can still read the TDP on these files.

vetch likes this.
  3. CSHawkeye81

CSHawkeye81 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    So I was wondering if you add a 32GB 3200 stick of ram into the laptop that the onboard 8 and 8 of the 32 additional then would work at dual channel right?

4. Talon

Talon Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Yes that is correct.

5. Muezick

Muezick Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:

Oof you lost me - i gotta have C out haha

saturnotaku likes this.
  6. Terreos

Terreos Royal Guard

Reputations:
    Are you noticing any noticeable gains in games though? 1600Mhz is still pretty high for this thing stock.

Darkhan likes this.
  7. Derek712

Derek712 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Anyone else getting locked up after pausing a movie in Netflix while full screen? 3x now...

8. Jakamo5

Jakamo5 Tetra Vaal

Reputations:
    I could try to reproduce your issue to see if it's systemic. A few questions just so I can emulate your environment -- Using a browser or the app? What GPU mode in armory crate? What's your nvidia driver version? Does the lock up occur as soon as you hit pause, and every time? What's the lock up look like (frozen / permanently non responsive system, or bsod? Any stutter or speaker noise?)

Not a fix, but a potential workaround -- if you're watching in a web browser, try the Netflix app instead.

9. LVNeptune

LVNeptune Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    So a few things:

I ordered two of these from Best Buy.

I thought it was a single ONBOARD 16GB DIMM with an extra slot based on the specs DIRECT FROM ASUS. https://rog.asus.com/laptops/rog-zephyrus/2021-rog-zephyrus-g15-series/spec <- Every single configuration shows an onboard 16GB DIMM (this is wrong). So you have 1 onboard 8GB DIMM and 1 slot you can upgrade to a 16GB or 32GB (32GB I haven't tested but according to Crucial it works) bringing you up to 24GB or 40GB respectively.

I have questions regarding the "Freesync" support. Is this laptop doing any kind of video muxing sending the data from the RTX card directly to the Radeon card which displays? I am trying to understand what the purpose of Freesync is in this case. Is it actually running in any kind of G-Sync compatible mode or is this STRICTLY for the onboard Radeon?

10. Jakamo5

Jakamo5 Tetra Vaal

Reputations:
    The specs in your link don’t show 16gb soldered and a free slot though. All of those configurations show 16 soldered and 16 installed in the slot, for 32gb total. So unless Best Buy was opening up the packages and laptops and removing the 16gb of sodimm (which of course they’re not), none of the models in that link would match the Best Buy model.

Don’t get me wrong, Asus doesn’t make it easy to tell, especially considering the Best Buy model number doesn’t match any of those model numbers, but that’s even more reason why I don’t think it’s accurate to say that the specs on Asus’s website are wrong. The Best Buy model just isn’t any of those ones that you were looking at.

Here’s a good answer from the customer Q&A on the Best Buy model:

“Asus has a ton GA503 variants on its websites across the different regions, but virtually none of the GA503QR’s (the QR means 3070 gpu version) have a 16gb soldered and free sodimm slot configuration. They’re all either listed as 8gb soldered + 8gb sodimm, OR 16gb soldered + 16gb sodimm. In fact, Asus only lists two GA503 configurations as available at the time of this response. One is a 3060 version, and the other is a 3070 version, which matches the Best Buy specs above exactly. That’s the GA503QR-HQ115T model on Asus’s website, and it clearly says 8gb soldered on board and 8gb in sodimm slot. https://rog.asus.com/fi/laptops/rog-zephyrus/2021-rog-zephyrus-g15-series/spec

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021