Asus ROG Zephyrus G15-GA503 ( New 2021)

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by IKAS V, Jan 15, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Derek712

Derek712 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Once it's delivered, it'll tell you in order details on bb.com.

2. Muezick

Muezick Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    it does, can confirm - both the ones I ordered were displaying return within 30 days. Course after returning them I lost the elite status but yeah it does work like that lol.

3. Terreos

Terreos Royal Guard

Reputations:
    I haven't experienced any of these issues. Kinda hoping this isn't a wide spread thing. I've had my fair share of laptops that just don't perform out of the box.

4. Muezick

Reputations:
    When I reloaded windows 10 pro onto my machine, the speakers had all kinds of horrible problems, but after updates and drivers, it went away. I have noticed the drivers on these systems are a bit finicky - i would imagine that's by virtue of them being new and with time, they will level out to the like standard 'all bug fixes/just works' version that will likely also be downloadable via windows update.

5. Jakamo5

Jakamo5 Tetra Vaal

Reputations:
    Not ideal, but you can modify your EQ settings to allow full volume without speaker popping. This reviewer shows his EQ settings.

Mine arrives tomorrow. Will report back on speaker issues and screen flicker.

Terreos, Atma and Muezick like this.
  6. Talon

Talon Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Muezick likes this.
  7. Muezick

Reputations:
    Talon likes this.
  8. Talon

Talon Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Now I just need to get my BIOS unlocked for ram tuning and I will have my ultimate 4.2lb travel beast.

Muezick likes this.
  9. vetch

vetch Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    @Talon That is indeed an amazing graphics score and equals my best score with my 3080. How did you manage to maintain such a high core clock speed?

Talon likes this.
  10. Talon

Talon Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    By using the MSI GS66 vBIOS for their 3070. I can't flash the higher TDP vBIOS from the GE or GP series. I also can't flash an Asus higher TDP either. The 3070 in the G15 won't let you cross flash since it's a low TDP card and is likely just "max-q" without the name.

I didn't bother with the MSI GS66 version before since it's 80-95w and my G15 is 80-100w. I figured what would be the point. Well I tried it out anyways to see if it would boost differently. I discovered that it doesn't read power correctly at all, and the card is effectively shunt modded. This lets the GPU run away with itself and can boost to above 1800Mhz in Time Spy and then hit above 1700Mhz most of the time. Seems like a crazy oversight. Of course this causes temps to rise, and I used max fans for protection. For gaming I just downvolted and locked the card around 1600Mhz to keep it cooler and reduce the power use and hopefully not kill the board.

Unfortunately I lose USB-C outs, but HDMI works. Either way cool discovery.

Terreos, Papusan, Muezick and 3 others like this.