Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 vs Razer Blade Advanced 2020

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by ColinMacLaren, Feb 17, 2021.

1. ColinMacLaren

ColinMacLaren Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hello,

I am looking for portable gaming laptop that I can use on the couch or on the go.

I got a deal for a Razer Blade 2020 Advanced (i7 10870h + 2070 Max-Q) for 1350 EUR and a G14 Anime (4800h + 2060 Max-Q) für 1444 EUR. One I am going to keep, one I am going to return.

G14:

+ CPU is more efficient, even with a TDP limit at 15W it still performs decent
    about twice the battery life.
    + can do some light 720p gaming on the go with its APU (this is not going to happen often)
    + can do some mediocre gaming on the couch while connected to a 65W Power delivery adapter (this is actually nice, so I don't have to carry the power adapter around the house).
    + lighter and smaller
    + Anime Matrix is a gimmick, but a cool one
    + Keyboard has a nicer tactile feel
    + doesn't get too hot on its surface
    + great speakers for a laptop

-CPU has worse Single threaded and gaming performance under heavy load (not much of an issue since I am going to be GPU-bound in most situations anyway).
    - screen has worse response times, color coverage and refresh rate (although I will be hard-pressed to get more then 120fps anyway)
    - AMD drivers suck really bad when connected to an external display, HDR not working correctly, Dolby Atmos for Home theatre not working ect
    - GPU performance is about 25% worse
    - while being more tactile, the keyboard is also more crammed and the spacing is off, so typing from muscle memory isn't working all that well. The rubber buttons also feel cheap.

Razer Blade:

+ Premium look and feel
    + brighter, more color accurate and much faster screen
    + about 25% faster GPU
    + better CPU gaming performance
    + keyboard has correct size
    + superb touchpad, pretty much the only touchpad in the world that isn't a Macbook and does not suck.
    + HDMI directly connected to the NVIDIA GPU, so flawless HDR, VRR and Dolby Atmos
    screen size is a lot more comfortable

-CPU cannot be undervoltet do to stupid Plundervolt bios updaten so its way less efficient and hotter then the 4800h.
    - gets hot on its surface

- while USB charging does work for 2D applications you just cannot game on it on battery or even a 100W USB C adapter at all. The NVIDIA will be hard locked to 300 MHz and Intel HD 630 is a joke
    - battery life isn't all that great, even on 2D applications
    -
    speakers are meh
    - bigger and heavier

2. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Sounds like know both notebooks pretty well ...for on-the-go, the Asus is more portable. I guess you must decide how much that portability is worth to you. It seems you like the Razer better.

Charles

3. ColinMacLaren

Reputations:
    Thanks. your are probably right. Razer is cheaper, has the better GPU and better touchpad.

4. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Also the Zephyrus might have soldered RAM, at least this year's model does.

5. ColinMacLaren

Reputations:
    I am returning the g14. Althouth I have to admit that it is the more comfortable device. It doesn't have the sharp edge on the wrist, the wrist rest is a bit shorter so I have a more comfotable angle while typing, the larger space bar really helps in shooters and the lid can be opened a bit wider.

The Razer is thinner, faster, has the better cooling and just feels more premium.

JRE84 and etern4l like this.
  6. jamzkangster

jamzkangster Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yep, I think the 4800 is more efficient however Asus G14 are just terrible...terrible laptops. Not sure why people still buy these things. The Zephyrus 15's are better....not by much but still better than the g14.
    One thing Asus has never gotten right is their cooling program and the cooling itself. All of it sucks. Armory crate is clunky and the fans suck. Asus needs to take notes from ACER on how to cool their laptops.

Razer is definitely much better in the 14 inch space.

7. Joikansai

Joikansai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    A bit late but they’re apparently testing 14 inch form factor with ryzen 5000 series, gpu seems up to 3060, sounds there’ll be potential competitor for G14.
    https://www.google.de/amp/s/www.tom...er-may-finally-be-launching-amd-gaming-laptop

8. jlp0209

jlp0209 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Have you actually owned a G14?

I've owned the 2016 and 2017 14" Blades, fantastic machines. Owned the 2020 G14 and now have the 2021 G14. The RTX 3060 is much better than the 2060 in the last model. The 2020 was a 1st gen product and all the issues could be resolved by tweaks in the registry and additional utilities. Far from ideal, but it worked flawlessly.

All of the issues have been resolved with the 2021 model. Armoury Crate is actually very useful and functional now. The fans do not suck haha, no idea where you're getting that from. Asus uses LM on the CPU now, helps a bit I'm sure. My gaming temps on the CPU never exceed 90 degrees and I've never seen 80 degrees on the GPU. **Depends on the games, I'm sure other games I haven't played yet could increase the temps by a bit, but I'm not at all worried. This is while running a manual fan profile in Armoury Crate, which again, actually works now. You can cap the CPU watts in Armoury Crate if you don't need the additional CPU power to keep temps even cooler. You can disable the dGPU completely now as well within AC. Silent mode is truly silent and the fans turn completely off.

I love the G14. That said, I will absolutely come back to Razer if they re-launch the 14" Blade series, with a competent GPU (80 watts minimum). And adaptive sync. No adaptive sync, no buy for me. I agree the build quality is better on the Blades, I returned a G14 for piss poor QC (uneven lid that wouldn't close tightly, loose trackpad). My current one is perfect.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2021 at 11:31 AM
    Joikansai likes this.