Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by undervolter0x0309, Jan 26, 2020.

1. Philaphlous

Philaphlous Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Probably from lapping the heatsink. There's still some room for improvement where I ended up calling it a day but the flatter the heatsink the more efficient it'll be...mine is pretty darn flat and smooth... I noticed a little Knick out of the heatsink surface which was probably creating some lift to the surface...

2. Muntster

Muntster Newbie

Reputations:
    My heatsink does not seem to have a nick although my 4900hs does have a couple "dents" on the die for some reason. Would LQM mitigate the need for lapping? How would I go about lapping my cooler and how do I determine if it is flat? Should I just order a new heatsink? Lastly what is the resistance of the wire you used for the shunt mod?

Last edited: May 31, 2021
  3. AzazelHimself

AzazelHimself Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi everyone, I'm planning to get the new g14, and the primary use case for me is when it's plugged in to an external display and the lid is closed. 2020 model had overheating problems when closed. Do you happen to know if the new model has the same issue?

4. Philaphlous

Reputations:
    FYI, I've broken down and I'll be attempting Liquid Metal TIM here soon with my G14... I'm hoping for a crazy drop in temps...

5. Muntster

Muntster Newbie

Reputations:
    Go for it! I used some cheap kapton tape and nail polish to insulate the smds, all is going well. I think im going to buy a new cooler to fix my horrid temps. http://imgur.com/gallery/dwaQSoU

6. Muntster

Muntster Newbie

Reputations:
    I wouldnt run it lid closed, the 2021 is the same chassis just better Armoury crate and hardware

7. Muntster

Muntster Newbie

Reputations:

Also how is the shunt mod? What resistance are you running? I noticed you got rid of the shunt resistor

8. Philaphlous

Reputations:
    Just broke my Time Spy record: https://www.3dmark.com/spy/21315891 | 7118 Total | 6828 Graphics

I use 2 small 28awg wires as "shunts"...not exactly sure the power draw...maybe 95W.

Once I do liquid metal TIM I may shorten the wires even more for more power draw... I think my G14 could handle 110W from the GPU probably...

9. Howie16

Howie16 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello everybody
    my laptop (Asus Zephyrus G14) shows me that the programs "acpowernotification.exe" and "armouryswagent.exe" are using my GPU (Geforce 1660ti) permanently. How can I stop this?

In my global NVIDIA settings I had actually put that it should primarily use the internal GPU.
    I can close the above programs in the Task Manager, but the next time I reboot they are active again.

Can anyone help?

10. Philaphlous

Reputations:
    Liquid metal is ON!!!!

All is well so far. I had to fix one of the wires of my GPU fan...it came off when I took the heatsink off...thankfully soldering it back on was very easy:

Unfortunately I haven't seen much of a change in GPU temperatures...maybe 1-2C better. The CPU is where the big gains are. Here's some before and after:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I used butyl rope to seal the SMD's and substrate and added TIM above that to create a seal to the heatsink. I think this might be adding some additional space/gap for the GPU which is maybe why I'm not getting the best temps on the GPU...they're certainly not bad but not amazing... I'm also probably getting some heat spread from additional cooling capacity from the CPU over to the GPU. I've noticed that temperatures between the CPU and GPU will be nearly equal when gaming so I'm sure there's considerable sharing of the heatsink...