Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by undervolter0x0309, Jan 26, 2020.

1. Philaphlous

Philaphlous Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It'll be here Monday but unfortunately...out of town for thanksgiving...guess it'll have to wait a week...lets hope it actually stays at the fedex location and isn't stolen since you can clearly tell its a laptop on the outside...

With after 8 calls to best buy and fedex and about 4 hours down..lets hope this is the perfect unit....

Edit: I'll be replacing the stock 1tb drive with a SK Hynix Gold P31 1TB drive. Apparently that's one of the best ssds on the market right now for pcie3. Can't wait to experience that speed!

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
    Biker Gremling likes this.
  2. fr0ntier4u

fr0ntier4u Newbie

Reputations:
    I may go this route as well, but I wish it was available in 2gb

3. Donald@zTecpc

Donald@zTecpc Company Representative

Reputations:
    2TB is available by XPG and Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 PCIe 3.0 x4 NVMe Solid State Drive.

Either will be virtually the same performance, or better, than the SK Hynix.

fr0ntier4u likes this.
  4. Philaphlous

Reputations:
    Best Buy is so incompetent... its staggering they're still in business...

I'm away so supposedly Best Buy is the only one that can put package holds on their products being shipped...so nothing I do with fedex will hold the package... Apparently Fedex will try 3 times then return the package to Best Buy...so tried on chat and over the phone to have Best Buy contact Fedex to change the shipping...they can't figure it out...so they just instead flat out are shipping ANOTHER G14 laptop to me...no extra charge..LOL so now I'll have 2 G14 laptops in route to me being held by Fedex and probably will both be undelivered...haha this is awesome!

My only hope is that it take Fedex a few days to ship the 2nd G14 being shipped out on Wednesday.. I'm pretty sure by the end of this I'll have no laptop...no refund...and no more sale that they won't honor...that's my luck in 2020... or... I end up getting both for the price of 1..lol

5. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    This seems like more of a problem with FedEx. I've had lots of issues with them in terms of getting stuff delivered (or not as has been the case sometimes). It seems odd they won't let you put any sort of hold on it because it should be possible at least after the first delivery attempt has been made.

6. Philaphlous

Reputations:
    I just paid $11 to get it delivered when I'm back in town in a 2 hour window.... lets see if it actually goes through...lol maybe I should do the same thing with the 2nd G14 or see if that'll be delivered once I get back home....Who knows...maybe I'll be able to pick the one with the least amount of issues..hehe :eek: It's crazy..worst buying experience ever....well no...buying a car from a dealer is worse...

Edit: Looks like the package is finally held! Guess throwing money at the problem fixed it...hmm...metaphor for life... I'll likely have to do the same thing with my 2nd laptop coming..which hasn't shipped yet...so fingers crossed on the 2nd... :vbeek:

I'll do a full teardown after a few tests with both units and determining which unit is better if I do indeed get both....

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
  7. Philaphlous

Reputations:
    Alright! Time to post an update!
    I ended up getting only 1 unit the other day. Got everything installed...mostly... did a bunch of testing and ended up taking it apart already and doing a repaste job. Glad I did because the thermal paste on the G14 is awful. It's like caked on and baked in...hard as a rock and pretty thick between the CPU/GPU and heatsink. Unfortunately I did a super quick job and probably didn't do the best...which I think you'll see in CPU temps over GPU temps. I currently have a custom fan curve in AC and right now I max out around 83C on the CPU and 62C on the GPU. I'm still in the process of overclocking and tuning the GPU... looks like there's quite a bit of voltage headroom... Right now I'm trying to get stable at 1605MHz and 0.713V which I believe might be stable ATM....

Here's a link to my Flickr album:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/30149337@N04/albums/72157717119290976

One thing that did concern me abit was the GPU heatsink surface...there was a knick in the surface which was raised and ended up making an indentation in the GPU surface...now there's a coating between the GPU and actual transistors, however, it does appear to be enough that my fingernail catches on it...so I just flat out went right away and ended up doing a fast lap job (not dirty) on the heatsink... as you'll see the surface is WAY smoother with a near mirror finish now... I didn't take much time on it as I wanted to get it reassembled quickly.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is after my lapp job:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I'm giving Thermal Grizzly Kaundanaut or whatever its called a try...
    I added 1.5mm thermal pads to the CPU/GPU tops in hops of creating additional surface pressure on the dyes...not sure they're actually making contact... I think they are because I added another 1.5MM and it was too much...started to bow the back cover.
    [​IMG]

Overall super happy with the CPU. It's a beast! I'm getting 1935 in CinebenchR15....
    GPU is crippled with the 65W limit... I have 4 shunts and once I get some down time I'll do the shunt mod on the GPU TDP for around 85-90W...

8. Biker Gremling

Biker Gremling Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Kryonaut is only good for 1 or 2 days and doesn't spread very well. Best for laptops are Nanogrease, Mx-4 and Hydronaut.

Did you add thermal paste to the memories and VRMs?

Please remove the thermal pads ontop the heatsink. That doesn't improve thermals significantly and will en up cracking a die due to the additional pressure (specially when you thumble the laptop around)

Enviado desde mi GM1913 mediante Tapatalk

saturnotaku likes this.
  9. Philaphlous

Reputations:
    • Kryonaut will be temporary..just wanted to give it a go since I have a tube... MX-4 will be the replacement...I should be getting that for Christmas...lol :rolleyes:
    • I'm not really worried about the pads adding unnecessary pressure...in-fact I don't really think they're barely touching the copper tape on the bottom of the frame.. I'm hoping that I can transfer some of the heat to the case..since I've got a cooling pad underneath it at almost all times.
    Next up will be the shunt mod... I think I'll need to file down the tip of my soldering iron a tad since the shunts are soo tiny. But man, I can't wait to unlock the full potential of the GPU... I'm running benchmarks all day and, obviously dependent on fan speeds, but I'm barely hitting 60C on the GPU after the repaste while hitting the TDP limit...Soo much thermal runway that 80-90W really should be nothing for this laptop.

You're going to hate me...lol when I get carried away I thermal pad everything in sight...lol :rolleyes:

10. seanwee

seanwee Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    There is no reason to get MX4 nowadays, it was a good budget option a few years back but now it either performs worse than top pastes like CM mastergel maker/gelid GC extreme or is worse value than chinese pastes that cost far less and perform just as well like the GD900.