Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by undervolter0x0309, Jan 26, 2020.

1. thesacredmoocow

thesacredmoocow Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  2. Biker Gremling

Biker Gremling Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I have been looking at resistors to purchase but don't know if to go for 500mW or 1W types.

When I got my G14 something I did was to game for very long sessions to see if this could really become my main laptop (the one for not only work, but for also to game on). Something I noticed was that the CPU would constantly hit 105C, and after a while it would BSOD (this was using an external monitor and a cooling pad). Disabling boosting would remove this problem, but the best solution was to use Ryzen Controller (now I run ~25W for games). I estimate that between the repaste, limiting the CPU to 20W, cooling pad and running full fans, 80W on the dGPU is possible.

3. thesacredmoocow

Reputations:
    maybe try repasting? even with boost on I haven't gotten temps that high. 90s at the most.

4. thesacredmoocow

Reputations:
    My PCIE bus from hwinfo reads ~20v so I'll assume that that's the input voltage. at 200W that's 10a, plugging it in, V=10(0.005) = 50mV at 10a being dissipated by the both of the resistors, which is 500mW. Since there is actually less current going through the additional resistor (unless you try to go higher than 130W) the resistor should be dissipating 250mW at the most. 500mW resistor should be enough.

Edit:

R2 = (W1*R1)/(W1-W1) and W2 = (W1*R1)/R2 + W1

Where R2 is the additional resistor, R1 is the original Resistor, W2 is the desired resulting wattage, and W1 is the original Wattage

Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
    Biker Gremling likes this.
  5. Biker Gremling

Reputations:
    Well, so today I decided to disassemble my G14 and remove the motherboard to see if there were the resistors to shunt on the back. After a nerve wrecking experience (due to the glued keyboard flex cable), this is what I found:

[​IMG]

As it can be seen in the picture, the resistors marked as 4 are present, but these seem to be for measuring the power that comes from the barrel plug. Now, if we peel the cover from the motherboard top...

[​IMG]

There are these resistors, but they seem to go to the indicators LEDs. Since there's nothing in the back of interest (that I can tell), let's see what we've got at the front.

[​IMG]

So, resistor No 3 if for the battery. I don't know what resistor No 2 is for. There's an R005 marked resistor (No1), but that doesn't seem to be for the GPU. But, what is under that cover next to the SSD?

[​IMG]

Aha! More R005 marked resistors, and these are over at the GPU side.

Now comes the interesting part. Without the cover on, I ran Valley Benchmark and tried measuring the Voltage drop on resistors 1 and 6, but unfortunately I couldn't detect any voltage drop. I tried on resistor 3 and measured a drop of 0,02V.

So now, the big question: What resistors are the ones to shunt mod? Do I have to keep searching?

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
  6. seanwee

seanwee Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The resistors marked 6 are most likely the ones you are going to shunt mod, they are exaclty the same ones that were used im my zephyrus G.

The problem is, they seem too far away from the gpu vrms. Can you take a picture of the components in the area around the gpu vrms? Also look for any other R005 marked resistors on the board.

7. thesacredmoocow

Reputations:
    Perhaps they are under the metal covers around the gpu? It does seem odd that it's on the other side of the gpu as the vrms...

These appear to lead to the vram vrms? Are these a separate component circuit from the cpu/gpu vrms? I don't see a separate voltage controller

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
  8. Biker Gremling

Reputations:
    Since I have enough leftover thermal paste, I'm going to remove the heatsink and see what is under the heat shields. Hopefully we find there the elusive resistors.

thesacredmoocow likes this.
  9. thesacredmoocow

Reputations:
    Let us know what you find. Looking at the pictures again, I suspect that #6 is for the gpu. 1, 2, and 3 Im guessing are for the barrel plug, PD, and battery, respectively. It doesn't make sense that anything else nearby would require current sensing, let alone that much amperage judging by the thickness of the traces.

Sent from my BND-AL10 using Tapatalk

10. Biker Gremling

Reputations:
    So no R005 resistors under the shields.

I'm pretty certain that the resistors under the cover next to the SSD are the ones for the GPU. I say this because they are next to an "ite" voltage regulator, and those are generally used for GPU power delivery control.

The reason I might not be able to measure any voltage drop on these resistors may have been due to the multimeter not having enough resolution to pick up the voltage drop.

I will have to come up with a test or something to find out if these resistors are truly the ones for the GPU. [​IMG]

Enviado desde mi GM1913 mediante Tapatalk