Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by undervolter0x0309, Jan 26, 2020.

1. erikjoya

erikjoya Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Do you think it's just a software issue? I'm willing to wait until they iron it out but I just read from a reddit post that it's a hardware issue that's why I'm now hesitant about the device

2. Wertzius

Wertzius Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yeah, from the guy talking about an asian forum without any source? No way that this error passed development without notice, it has to be software.
    I am already in contact with ASUS about that.

3. Wertzius

Reputations:
  4. gooface

gooface Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Bios version 212 is no longer on the support page...

5. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Kind of sad that it takes members of the community to address an issue that should be Asus' responsibility. I've had nothing but terrible experiences with Armoury Crate so I returned my GU502.

6. Sakraycore

Sakraycore Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    What kind of issues with armoury crate?

7. jlp0209

jlp0209 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It is there under the BIOS and firmware tab, not under the drivers tab. I installed it earlier today, it seems to update the firmware version according to device manager.

https://www.asus.com/Laptops/ROG-Zephyrus-G14/HelpDesk_BIOS/

It's part of the fun for me. I tweak everything when building a desktop PC. All of the tweaks we've been doing on the G14 are very simple and take little time, and are one and done. The fan utility that has been created is fantastic. I've had no conflicts with Armoury Crate while using it. I've added the fan utility to my startup programs and when I want things silent just click on the profile in taskbar icon. Can easily switch back to default Asus profiles right within the utility or Armoury Crate.

People have been undervolting Intel laptops for years. One can argue Intel should've been doing this all along.

My old Razer Blade 2017 required a BIOS mod to unlock the full potential of the GTX 1060. By disabling ASPM at the BIOS level using my modded BIOS, I got significant performance gains.

seanwee and ChrisHW like this.
  8. saturnotaku

Reputations:
    • Not loading properly from a cold boot, which results in the ROG and fn layer keys as well as the OSD not working.
    • Non-functional manual fan control.
    • Not detecting installed games so I can make proper fan and screen profiles.
    • Not properly switching in and out of the power profiles I create for the games that are detected.
    • Only one power plan (silent) that properly puts the CPU in all of its c-states. Despite my overriding it in the Windows power and sleep control panel, performance mode locks the CPU in a turbo boosted state at all times.
    Clean installs of the software and/or operating system are like whack-a-mole - when one issue goes away, another pops right up. People throw shade at Razer Synapse, but compared to Armoury Crate, it's god-tier amazing.

That's all very well and good, but most of the folks who frequent this forum are a subset of a subset of the overall market. Most folks who walk into Best Buy to pick up one of these want to power it up and go.

9. Wertzius

Reputations:
    Yeah, the whole manual fan stuff in Armoury Crate is completely garbage but i also just use the new small tool now. A fan profile for every game? I invest my time more in gaming itself ;-)
    I just use the quietest possible manual profile for everything.

10. saturnotaku

Reputations:
    Perhaps performance profile would have been a more accurate term. For some games I play, the silent profile actually works fine, but for current, more demanding titles, I want to be able to use all the horsepower I paid for. It should be as simple assigning the profile to a executable. The problem is, I can't choose it on my own. Armoury Crate relies on its own scanner to find programs. It's fine for Steam games, but it wouldn't pick up anything I had installed from the Windows Store or Origin. Further, in the games that did show up, it would switch to performance mode when the application started, but wouldn't switch back to silent when quitting.