Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by undervolter0x0309, Jan 26, 2020.

1. Mr_Mysterious

Mr_Mysterious Like...duuuuuude

Reputations:
    I saw that, thank you Wertzius.

I posted because I was concerned about the slightly higher temperatures without seeing an increase in the CPU utilization. I went back to the default settings and my temps calmed back down.

I guess what was confusing me was that in the subreddit, you mentioned that the GPU fan stopped, but in the screenshot I took, the CPU fan stopped. Just comparing results, trying to see why there are discrepancies. :)

Mr. Mysterious

2. Melarn

Melarn Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Returning mine. Benches were amazing, love the look and feel - but in actual practice I had a number of issues with both thermals (cpu riding at 95), black screens, straight dumps to sleep mode during game play and some artifacting issues during gameplay. It's possible I got a defective gpu I suppose - I may exchange for a new one, try again and see and then return for good.

3. seanwee

seanwee Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Thermals are normal but black screens and artifacting are definitely not normal.

Are you overclocking the gpu? Probably not right?

4. Melarn

Reputations:
    Nope. In fact, I even went into armory crate, completely readjusted the fan curves for both GPU and CPU and took the factory OC on the GPU down to 0.

5. Wertzius

Wertzius Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Black scrren problem is soled and linked here (I also recommend the subreddit) an temps are normal.

6. Melarn

Reputations:
    Except my black screen was happening while gaming, not browsing, and would occasionally force the machine into sleep mode even though every trigger for sleep (aside from manually forcing it) was turned off.

7. jeremyshaw

jeremyshaw Big time Idiot

Reputations:
    @Melarn Any chance this was happening with the laptop lid closed (like with an external display, kb, mouse, dock, etc)? I recall reading in the manual about a specific overheat protection mode when the lid was closed.

8. Melarn

Reputations:
    Yes... the forced sleep. But it did happen (though less frequently) with the lid partially open.

9. Wertzius

Wertzius Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yeah, you cannot use this laptop with closed lid. It will shutdown because of overheating. You have to use some kind of elevation or a cooling pad.

10. Biker Gremling

Biker Gremling Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    ASUS, is it really so hard to program the laptop to use a lower power state instead of sleeping it off? Some people use the thing docked for office work.

Enviado desde mi HTC One M9 mediante Tapatalk