Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by undervolter0x0309, Jan 26, 2020.

1. Terreos

Terreos Royal Guard

Reputations:
    All the laptops that were sent out where review samples. So it's possible they just got a bad unit. And I'm sure that could be patched with a bios update. So hopefully that is fixed by the time it gets sold to the general public. Subscribe to Jarrod's Tech on youtube. He will definitely cover that and anything else you'd want to know about the product.

Meh. . .I'm too old to be playing them forknights with you kids anyways. I'll stick to my adventure games.

But, this is the first 14" 120hz screen I've seen on the market. So that will be something for them to fix in later revisions. I'm just happy we have a high refresh rate model unlike the MSI Prestige.

JRey and Darkhan like this.
  2. Ed. Yang

Ed. Yang Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yeah... Few hours ago i spent roughly about 2hrs watching through reviews made by Austin Evans, Linus, Hardware Canuck, as well as the 2 Aussies Jarrod and Hardware Unbox. I've yet see any review made by Unbox Therapy as well as Gamer Nexus.

3. W.D. Stevens

W.D. Stevens Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    There's a lot impressive about this laptop and a fair few things that leave me cold. When I was looking for my last one, all the Asus models I looked at had the motherboards mounted upside down to make it very difficult to upgrade which really made me not want to consider them at all.

I'm looking forward to seeing these CPUs in larger laptops which are more my thing. Paired with a really nice 17" screen, this could be great for mobile video editing.

undervolter0x0309 likes this.
  4. undervolter0x0309

undervolter0x0309 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Right there with you. 17"+ is where it's at for me, unless they have dual screens (like the Asus duo).

5. Wertzius

Wertzius Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I love this Laptop but is has a few downsides for sure.

8GB RAM soldered. So 24GB RAM max, then 16GB in dual channel, 8GB in singlechannel.
    Intel 660p SSD in all tested configurations. Might change in different markets and in different production runs, they use what is available.
    120 Hz FHD Screen has slow Response times, basically a 50Hz Screen, atleast in the Review pre production samples. Might be better in production samples.
    Fans are always running, even in idle. Might be better with future BIOSes. Might...
    No LAN port, ok you can carry an USB dongle with you.

The configurations are really bad. If i want a 1TB SSD i have to buy a 4900HS model which cost a huge premium.
    RTX2060 models with 1TB SSd have the LED lid which costs another 200§ premium.
    European Prices are ridiculous. The 1450$ US Model costs is not available in Europe, the similar model with LED lid and WQHD Display costs 2300€! Even if you substract the led lid and the WQHD Display it would costs 2000€ and therefore 300$ more as the us model+VAT.

I have to wait for a sale somewhere...

Here are all european configs with MRSP (Source: Computerbase.de):

Asus G14.png

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2020
    Terreos and Spartan like this.
  6. Spartan

Spartan Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    This is confusing, why isn't there model with the RTX 2060 and the R7-4900HS? I only see 4800HS for the 120hz version with an RTX 2060

Terreos likes this.
  7. Wertzius

Wertzius Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Different configs for Europe! The RTX2060 versions with FHD will follow later in the year in Europe.

8. Terreos

Terreos Royal Guard

Reputations:
    That is odd since Bestbuy has the R9-4900HS with 2060 as it's coming soon model for $1450. I hope that holds true as that seems like a nice all around model. Though the soldered memory kinda upsets me since I guess it only comes with 8GB. Would be nice to start with 16GB and a stick of RAM after the fact.

And you're actually interested in this? :eek:

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Launc...RTX-2060-Max-Q-finally-unveiled.459338.0.html

Spartan likes this.
  9. Spartan

Spartan Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    Terreos likes this.
  10. Terreos

Terreos Royal Guard

Reputations:
    Ah. That makes more sense. Probably gonna sell my ipad and this will be it's replacement for me. And I'll stick to desktop pc's for atleast the RTX 3000 series.

Spartan likes this.