ASUS ROG Zephyrus Duo 15 SE (GX551QR-XS98)

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by undervolter0x0309, Jan 12, 2021.

1. werdmonkey4321

werdmonkey4321 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I mean the factory overclock is just a default profile they set. They don't individually test and overclock each system. They choose conservative enough values such that it's stable for a high percentage of systems, but there will always be a select few that are unstable with those default overclocks.

Also you may want to check if the turbo profile overclocks the CPU as well. I'm not sure if they do on the Zephyrus Duo. Someone else may want to chime in on that.

2. Sou Yang

Sou Yang Newbie

Reputations:
    If it's crashing due to the overclock from the Turbo mode, I'd send it in for warranty work. The overclock on the GPU in turbo mode is just 100 core and 150 memory. You paid a premium price for this laptop. I'd expect a premium experience.

Spartan@HIDevolution likes this.
  3. alaskajoel

alaskajoel Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    My 3080/FHD equipped model also crashes in turbo mode on some games. For example, BF5 will crash very quickly under the turbo profile but works for hours on performance mode or manual mode with a slightly lower OC. I can play other games or run a 3dmark stress test without any problem in turbo mode.

It isn't super uncommon for some games to respond differently to GPU overclocks. I would be a little more concerned if it happened on every game or if switching to performance mode / manual mode didn't solve the problem.

4. Kaneco

Kaneco Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yeah, pretty much my issue. Will have to see how things perform on true fullscreen since I'm so used to playing everything on Windowed mode due to convenience. Really hope for Asus or Nvidia to implement some sort of solution through software or bios update... but if this was an issue as well for RTX 20 series models of the previous year, then I doubt it'll get solved... at least not officially. Hoping for some kind of Advanced Optimus patch from either of them, but doubt it.

5. alaskajoel

alaskajoel Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    From my recollection, this was only a problem on the original duo when used in Optimus mode. It had a MUX and could be switched into discrete GPU mode.

I wish this was possible but the hardware required for AO is not present. :(

6. Kaneco

Kaneco Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yeah I can see the better performance in true Fullscreen mode in some game examples... the stutter/micro pause every couple of mins is pretty much gone even while having over 30 tabs open in chrome while a Youtube video is playing on my External monitor. Haven't tried while streaming/recording with OBS, but I can see that the problems are mostly gone. Kinda inconvenient not being able to play in Windowed mode, but will have to do for now... as long as I have to deal with Optimus and some parts of the hardware being bottlenecked by using both the iGPU & dGPU at the same time.

Hope Asus or Nvidia does as much as they can through Software/Patches/Drivers to improve the experience when limited to this level through hardware, or Windows 10/11 does some magical things whether through their GPU Hardware Scheduling, Game Mode or many other things that deal with DWM, and maybe among other things.

7. ThaBigDaddyC-Master

ThaBigDaddyC-Master Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi again. I've been looking at the Lenovo Legion 5 and I must say it sounds more appealing to me. Great price, good reviews, nice keyboard, and great battery. I'll take a chance on the screen but I've read nothing bad about it. Suitable for me as I don't game much anymore.

How are the fans on this? Does it turn on just from things like web browsing?

Also can you upgrade the ram and SSD? I've read it has a 2.5 SSD and an M2 so I was just trying to clarify.

Thanks.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2021
  8. SteelQ

SteelQ Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    What are your temps on destiny or apex. I saw many reviews that they usually sit under 80 C° and if i dont underclock the cpu i hit 94ish in 1 minute of gameplay idk if also this is normal dont get me wrong i love this laptop i really love it but im with sou yang this doesnt feel premium. Failing with turbo profile out of the box feels like a brandless gaming laptop issue more than a flagship model issue well i'll try to ask for warranty. Thanks for the help. Also i want to know the temps im sitting at 95 cpu and 76 gpu in apex everything maxed lowering the cpu tdp to 45 it lowers the temps to uper 80ish and gpu 72

9. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    If you'd like more information about the current Lenovo Legion lineup, please post your questions here so as not to derail this thread any more than it already has. Thanks.

Lenovo Legion 5/5 Pro/7 2021 Discussion | NotebookReview

10. ThaBigDaddyC-Master

ThaBigDaddyC-Master Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for the link. I'm good to go now. I found something that suited me better spec and price wise. Fingers crossed on the screen.

On the Asus Duo topic, has anybody had issues with the sleep function? I've heard that some have had it happen on its own while gaming and others have been unable to put it to sleep. It was something I was looking at when considering it. Some said it caused theirs to overheat and not work properly.

It seemed like it was a pretty recurring complaint.