ASUS ROG Strix Scar Edition GL703GS vs MSI GS65

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by TheMisterJAP, Oct 9, 2018 at 6:27 AM.

1. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Yes, the GL50x series has been known to be very bad. The GL502 and GL503 were really bad.
    The GL504 however, with the GTX 1060 seems to do well, the one with the GTX 1070 also fairs okiash. Both of them, as long as you replace the thermal paste, should perform pretty well.

Can you please give me a link to a review where it says that the GL504 perfoms badly?

2. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    1. There is no GE73 Stealth, only GS73 . If you ever saw a GE73 Stealth that is most certainly a mistake. The GS73 is a thinner, lighter version of the GE73.

2. The difference between the Raider and the Raider RGB is their year of release, it's just a marketing thing MSI uses to differentiate between 2017 (no-RGB) and 2018 (RGB). Apart from that, there are no differences except for what you see in their technical specifications.

3. It is not difficult to install Windows, it's a pretty straightforward process. However, you may want to consider buying a Windows 10 license, however, you can stay without one if you want but there will be some limitations like you can't change Windows settings or wallpaper and such.

3. cynosure34

cynosure34 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    https://laptopmedia.com/review/asus-rog-gl504-scar-ii-hero-ii-review-a-huge-leap-forward/
    This one shows pretty bad temps and specifies it's the 1060, but some other reviews on the 1060 seem to show it a bit lower
    ie https://www.notebookcheck.net/Asus-...750H-GTX-1060-FHD-Laptop-Review.326126.0.html says they're okay.

4. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I wouldn't consider that review bad, processor clocks even after 10 minutes are still above the base clock and 80C is not bad. But as you can see , other laptops did a bit better. However, as I said, replace its thermal paste with something better and you should be fine.
    The GPU does get a bit too hot, it should stay under 85C even after 1 hour of gaming. But again, a good thermal paste will drop those temps by 4-5 degrees and should make the laptop perform ok.

Another thing to consider is the ambient temperatures, which are not mentioned in the bad review but should always be mentioned. If laptopmedia did their review at 30C ambient temperature and notebookcheck at 25C, then the two reviews will show different results.
    All in all, I wouldn't consider the GL504 an inherently bad laptop or laptop design, but there are better laptops out which you do not need to fiddle with them to get temperatures in check, but those are a handful.
    A 17-inch laptop should definitely get better temps because it should have a better, more powerful cooling solution.

5. cynosure34

Reputations:
    Ambient temp is true, I hadn't thought of that. It gets pretty hot here though so it's good to keep in mind.

Yeah I'd have to thermal paste myself if I buy the ASUS, which voids the warranty and that concerns me a bit. I'm not sure if that's an ASUS thing worldwide but seems to be how the warranty works in Aus.

17 is a little big for me, I still want something portable for study.

I'm thinking the Metabox N950EP is a good choice and they already thermal paste with IC Diamond 24 in the build process. The only downside is the speakers have been reviewed pretty poorly which is stopping me from pulling the trigger completely. That and the left side of the laptop seems to get warm under the keyboard which is not ideal

6. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    As far as I know the Clevos with the new Intel 8th Gen has the worst temps that not even thermal paste can save them. However, if you buy that 15-inch Clevo form metabox with the desktop processor, that one actually fairs better.
    As for the warranty, in the US and Europe, it is against the law to void a warranty if the user tampered with the device unless the device started to malfunction because of his intervention. So if I, for instance, replace the processor in my laptop and 2 months later by display burns out, they need to repair the unit under warranty. Some retailers will refuse to give warranty under such conditions, but if you threaten them with a lawsuit, they will provide you with the warranty because, that's the law.

7. cynosure34

Reputations:
    Yeah I think the temps are a little better on that model, further improved by undervolting.

Oh really?? I rang the store today and they told me repasting voids the warranty even if they did it in-store. Maybe that's a location thing.. I'm not a lawyer so I have no idea in Australia.

8. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Me neither, I just know how it is in Europe and the United States.
    So yeah, I suggest to get this one: https://noteb.com/?model/model.php?conf=15938690269528999936_1167&ex=USD or maybe this one: https://noteb.com/?model/model.php?conf=2494322030829684827_1666&ex=USD

9. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    @cynosure34 - please start your own thread if you have questions about specific laptops