Asus ROG Strix SCAR 17 G733QS-XS98Q

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Nauzhror, Jan 15, 2021.

1. Nauzhror

Nauzhror Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Does anyone know if this laptop will have a MUX Switch? Also, how much wattage the GPU is set up to use?

I'm currently debating between ordering one of the following:

https://www.gentechpc.com/product-p/asus-g733qs-xs98q.htm

https://www.eluktronics.com/Prometheus-XVII/

The Eluktronics definitely has a MUX switch, and definitely has the GPU limited to 150W.

The ASUS however....doesn't mention wattage, or the existence of a MUX switch. If it has a MUX Switch, and is giving the GPU at least 150W, I intend to order it.

The ASUS is shipping with a 280W charger though, compared to 230W with the Eluktronics model. This gives me hope that it might be giving the GPU 150W, or even potentially 200W.

2. NuclearLizard

NuclearLizard Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
    bsch3r and undervolter0x0309 like this.
  3. dieandromeda

dieandromeda Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    yes, strix scar 17 will have mux switch. refer their spec which indicate adaptive sync. afaik, adaptive sync only work in dedicated mode

NuclearLizard likes this.
  4. Destinatus

Destinatus Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

MAX-17 Ultra
    • AMD Ryzen 7 5800H 8 Cores - 16 Threads (3.2-4.4GHz Max Boost Clock) + 16GB GDDR6 VRAM NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 (Max-P TDP: 115 Watts, OC Options: TGP Adjustable up to 125 Watts + 15 Watts via Dynamic Boost for a maximum of 140 Watts!*)
    https://www.eluktronics.com/MAX-17

Looks like a win to me.
    I doubt the extra 10 watts will make the difference.

5. Jena_Plissken

Jena_Plissken Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I would like to know, though, how this "adaptive sync" technology works, as it's the first time I see it in notebooks specifications. Is it basically a freesync marked as "g-sync compatible", and so, does it have a working range? I hope everything will be clear.

I'm also interested about noise level. Asus in their commercial promo stated that "it's under 45dB in turbo mode". I really doubt it will be totally true (it also depends on how they calculate dBs), but still I'd be interested to know how much of that statement is bulls**t.

6. alpharatz

alpharatz Newbie

Reputations:
    The inclusion of adaptive sync does not seem to determine if it comes with a MUX switch, though- the Strix G17 has adaptive sync listed in the ASUS site's features list but definitely does not have a MUX switch (or advanced optimus, for that matter)- see GizmoSlipTech's most recent video where he confirms the only way to bypass the iGPU is by hooking up a monitor directly (via the DisplayPort/USB-C port, not the HDMI port which still routes through the iGPU). I'm hoping that the Scar and Zephyrus Duos don't have the same issue and would love if someone who has actually had a chance to use either machines could confirm.

7. Jena_Plissken

Reputations:
    Ultrabookreview in its review of the Scar 17 2021 seems to say it has a switch that automatically changes between the two. Don't know if it is Optimus or another thing, though it should be thorough to be sure.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2021
  8. NuclearLizard

Reputations:
    It seems to have a little software mux in the armory crate.

It's looking like the options are get advanced optimus or find one that dosent have any form of it whatsoever.

9. Jena_Plissken

Reputations:
    Now the problem is, will this method hamper performance when not plugged in to external monitor? Apparently like it is in the Strix G17 2021, as reported in a couple of videos atm.

I really hope not, and that the Scar will be different.

10. NuclearLizard

Reputations:
    Yea, I THINK there is a setting in the Crate to turn optimus off. I wouldnt quote me on it for sure.

At about 1 min 20 seconds he lays it out how it works.

Jena_Plissken likes this.