Asus ROG Strix GL702ZC / G702ZC / S7ZC with Ryzen 7 1700 8-core CPU and a Radeon RX580 GPU

Discussion in 'Asus' started by sicily428, May 30, 2017.

1. Jim Beam

Jim Beam Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    re the RAM

Thanks for the heads up.

How much of a difference would this make to the laptop in general usage ? How about for video editing ?

**Is this laptop capable of using 3000 or 3200 MHz RAM - will the BIOS allow it?**

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
  2. Deks

Deks Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    With bios 303, the AMD agesa version is 1.0.0.7.
    As a result, it should support higher frequency ram, but, as always, we don't know if Asus artificially limited the ram speeds on the laptop (although I doubt they would go through all that trouble considering the motherboard is desktop based B350 model adapted to laptop form).

What someone could do is try getting 2x16gb 3000mhz ram and test it out.

As for how much of a difference would this make to laptops performance... 10% depending on the usage scenario.
    Some games would probably see these benefits going from say 2400 to 3200 ram, but as of yet, there is no 3200mhz laptop ram in the wild I could find.
    Software like video editing... not sure if it benefits from higher RAM frequencies... it might... I'll see if I can find some youtube videos to check.

If I'm not mistaken, I think higher ram speeds for laptops are coming as something was said to be released for Intel CPU's in mobile, so make due with what you can afford and if ram prices drop, get the higher speed ram later on.

Right now, I just don't think it's affordable to be splurging 1 quarter of the laptop price on faster ram... Unless you got the cheaper ryzen 1600 version and you can justify the cost (though, a nice ssd would be a better investment).

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
    Caretaker01, hmscott and sicily428 like this.
  3. Jim Beam

Jim Beam Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yep - you are most likely right. Its probably not a big enough of an improvement (3000+MHz RAM) on this *particular* PC to make that much of a difference.

Probably bigger enhancements to be had in other areas and thus better putting the money there instead.

I see on the Hidevolution page that the highest speed RAM they offer is 2600 MHz - I wonder why that is?

4. mhdvt

mhdvt Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    AMD wattman almost available on Linux :D, kernel patches from AMD posted to mailing list February 8th.

Initial support is for Polaris (apparently), will compile a patched kernel and try undervolting with wattman.

hmscott likes this.
  5. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Wow, that would be boon to Linux performance modding and enthusiast interest.

Intel hasn't done this, nor AMD before, and it's been a big complaint from enthusiasts wanting to move from Windows to Linux ( @Mr. Fox @Papusan )

Papusan likes this.
  6. Phoenix_IT

Phoenix_IT Newbie

Reputations:
    after your advice I start searching the models with R7 and only the HDD... well, here in italy it's more difficult to find a model without ssd and the few that i find cost much more that models with ssd... ridiculous. my search continues.... :)

Caretaker01 likes this.
  7. Caretaker01

Caretaker01 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Here at the same price you get to choose between one with 16 GB ram and HDD and a 8 GB ram hybrid HDD + 8 SSD.
    So it's a no-brainer in my country. Also it is a retailer who sells it not an official representative.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

8. Deks

Deks Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Each country will apparently have it's own versions of GL702ZC it would seem.
    Unless you are buying from USA or a retailer that offers customization... you will probably have to get the version that falls in your price range.

Either way, you can upgrade yourself as time goes on.

9. Phoenix_IT

Phoenix_IT Newbie

Reputations:
    The best one for the ratio price / parts installed I find it's a Ryzen 7 - HDD 1000 GB - SSD 256 GB - RAM 16 GB for Euro 1.799 (tax incl. and authorized seller).
    Considering that I will sell all the part of my actual desktop it will cost approx. 1.200 Euro.

hmscott likes this.
  10. Caretaker01

Caretaker01 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    That's allot, I paid 1420€ total with taxes and shipping, for an R7 1700 - 1tb HDD, 16 gigs, and a Samsung evo 960 256 gb. 2 year's warranty 100 € if I what 2 more year's of warranty. And it's still cheaper than an iPhone X in my country

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

hmscott likes this.