]]>

Asus ROG Strix GL702ZC / G702ZC / S7ZC with Ryzen 7 1700 8-core CPU and a Radeon RX580 GPU

Discussion in 'Asus' started by sicily428, May 30, 2017.

1. Deks

Deks Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    2 x 8GB 3000 MhZ:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/G-SKILL-Ri...18315217&sr=8-2&keywords=so-dimm+ddr4+3000Mhz

2x 16GB 3000 MhZ:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-Ve...8315477&sr=8-22&keywords=so-dimm+ddr4+3000Mhz

Prices however are atrocious.
    Ebay seems to be selling the 2x16GB version for £400 (which is lowest thus far in UK).

hmscott and Papusan like this.
  2. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Yup, that's the key to why the NVME although 2x-5x+ faster than SATA III, the rest of the operations in the software take time too. :)

The first time I ran into this was when optimizing SATA II drivers for a Nubus card that they thought wasn't performing correctly, as the end result - transfering files, was only a few percent faster. They verified the disk IO was indeed 2x-4x faster than before, but it wasn't showing up in real world programs.

The problem was the filesystem code, it was optimized for a much slower storage throughput, and when faster throughput was available it didn't know what to do with it.

I ended up optimizing the OS / FS code years later and it really made a big difference.

We don't usually have that opportunity without access to source code, so we are stuck with finding applications that do optimize for higher speed IO, and respond with better wall time reductions than unoptimized code.

That's when I discovered that you need to do optimization from bare IO through OS to application before you can benefit from big gains in benchmarkable IO speed improvements. :)

SATA III works fine for M.2 vs NVME for most applications, most owners will benefit more from the 2x storage for the same $ if they shop wisely.

Deks likes this.
  3. Jim Beam

Jim Beam Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yes, but you have to get the files ONTO the laptop for any processing that you are doing with those files...then when finished you need to get those files OFF the laptop and back to some other storage medium.

What you are saying is that programs themselves may not deal with the high speeds. That is not what I am trying to do...... I am trying to move very very large files from outboard NAS storage to onboard laptop storage for further processing by programs on the laptop.

So how to saturate that USB 3.1 Gen 2 connection on this particular laptop is what I am asking and as I have said several times is it looks like the only way to do it with such sparse I/O on this laptop (only 1 x M2 and only 1 x 2.5" bay) is to use a device in the M2 slot that can give huge I/O in its own right. How else would one generate a read or write speed of 700-800MB/s in or out of this laptop?

Anyways, i just wanted to run it past the crowd here to see if my thoughts on this are headed in the right direction on this. Looks like I will just have to give it a go and see.

hmscott likes this.
  4. Jim Beam

Reputations:
    re the RAM

Thanks for the heads up.

How much of a difference would this make to the laptop in general usage ? How about for video editing ?

**Is this laptop capable of using 3000 or 3200 MHz RAM - will the BIOS allow it?**

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018 at 3:51 AM
  5. Deks

Deks Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    With bios 303, the AMD agesa version is 1.0.0.7.
    As a result, it should support higher frequency ram, but, as always, we don't know if Asus artificially limited the ram speeds on the laptop (although I doubt they would go through all that trouble considering the motherboard is desktop based B350 model adapted to laptop form).

What someone could do is try getting 2x16gb 3000mhz ram and test it out.

As for how much of a difference would this make to laptops performance... 10% depending on the usage scenario.
    Some games would probably see these benefits going from say 2400 to 3200 ram, but as of yet, there is no 3200mhz laptop ram in the wild I could find.
    Software like video editing... not sure if it benefits from higher RAM frequencies... it might... I'll see if I can find some youtube videos to check.

If I'm not mistaken, I think higher ram speeds for laptops are coming as something was said to be released for Intel CPU's in mobile, so make due with what you can afford and if ram prices drop, get the higher speed ram later on.

Right now, I just don't think it's affordable to be splurging 1 quarter of the laptop price on faster ram... Unless you got the cheaper ryzen 1600 version and you can justify the cost (though, a nice ssd would be a better investment).

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018 at 7:46 AM
    Caretaker01, hmscott and sicily428 like this.
  6. Jim Beam

Reputations:
    Yep - you are most likely right. Its probably not a big enough of an improvement (3000+MHz RAM) on this *particular* PC to make that much of a difference.

Probably bigger enhancements to be had in other areas and thus better putting the money there instead.

I see on the Hidevolution page that the highest speed RAM they offer is 2600 MHz - I wonder why that is?

7. mhdvt

mhdvt Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    AMD wattman almost available on Linux :D, kernel patches from AMD posted to mailing list February 8th.

Initial support is for Polaris (apparently), will compile a patched kernel and try undervolting with wattman.

hmscott likes this.
  8. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Wow, that would be boon to Linux performance modding and enthusiast interest.

Intel hasn't done this, nor AMD before, and it's been a big complaint from enthusiasts wanting to move from Windows to Linux ( @Mr. Fox @Papusan )

Papusan likes this.
  9. Phoenix_IT

Phoenix_IT Newbie

Reputations:
    after your advice I start searching the models with R7 and only the HDD... well, here in italy it's more difficult to find a model without ssd and the few that i find cost much more that models with ssd... ridiculous. my search continues.... :)

Caretaker01 likes this.
  10. Caretaker01

Caretaker01 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Here at the same price you get to choose between one with 16 GB ram and HDD and a 8 GB ram hybrid HDD + 8 SSD.
    So it's a no-brainer in my country. Also it is a retailer who sells it not an official representative.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk