Asus ROG Strix GL702ZC / G702ZC / S7ZC with Ryzen 7 1700 8-core CPU and a Radeon RX580 GPU

Discussion in 'Asus' started by sicily428, May 30, 2017.

1. Deks

Deks Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I saw those slides already... nothing out of the ordinary honestly.
    Having the ability to increase or decrease clocks in small increments is good, but existing motherboards already do this.
    The main issue for GL702ZC is basically a locked BIOS... if we could unlock it, we might/should be able to reduce voltages on the CPU and GPU on stock.

hmscott likes this.
  2. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    And, the lower power - power savings - features in the new x470 + Zen+ + PowerBoost 2 are what I was pointing out for the next version of the GL702ZC.

Which, if Asus holds true to form the new model with x470 + Zen+ + PowerBoost 2, and hopefully a form of Vega 56 will be out in April along side the new AMD Ryzen releases.

Deks likes this.
  3. Deks

Deks Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    You can most likely forget about granular control of frequencies manually if Asus has anything to say about it... because they will likely lock the BIOS in that upgrade (if they make one to begin with) too.
    PowerBoost 2 is I think already part of Zen+ architecture (the CPU itself)... doesn't have much to do with the mobo... though the existing motherboards would require a bios update to recognize and use new CPU's properly.

Lower power draw will certainly be good... but that's not going to help us at all if Asus buzzes out on the cooling again in the new unit.

What I'd like to see is upgraded BIOS for existing GL702ZC, so I can just slap a Zen+ inside... that way, I'd get most of the benefits (including power saving ones) anyway... and it's possible Asus might just end up doing this as opposed to re-designing the entire system with a new motherboard.

It's probably easier/cheaper for them to just upgrade the bios, slap in the Zen+ with same amount of cores/threads, lower power draw and sell it as brand new than to re-design a motherboard around the new chipset (and of course make the same mistakes by placing the CPU and GPU too closely together) and put in too noisy fans, etc..

Though, I wouldn't be surprised if they do make a new model with x470 mobo, Zen+, and make the same mistakes they did with this model. :D

If the desktop Zen+ matches Intel in base clocks or even surpasses them (Which should be doable with 12nm LP)... I would imagine we can easily get a 15-20% base clock boosted Zen+ at a lower power draw for GL702ZC

hmscott likes this.
  4. Leonwastedsunset

Leonwastedsunset Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Guys i used CRU to OC my monitor to 75hz 84 is max for me. I have a rx480 xfire desktop gpu and a 60hz freesync monitor. I was able to oc my desktop monitor to 75 hz and keep freesync enabled by playing with the freesync range. But when i tried to do the same thing to Gl702zc, i was able to oc to 75hz but loses freesync even set the range to 40-76. Anyone have this problem?

hmscott likes this.
  5. Arog

Arog Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Are you guys thinking the gl702zc cpu can be upgraded to zen? Will amd release a bios to support it I wonder? Can you guys comment on fan noise/temps at idle, gaming, web browsing/media consumption, etc. I'm thinking this will be my next laptop unless you think I should be patient and wait for the zen 2nd gen stuff that should be coming out soon.

Vasudev likes this.
  6. Deks

Deks Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    The GL702ZC already has a Zen CPU inside... Ryzen 1700.
    Are you referring to the Ryzen refresh, Ryzen 2 and Ryzen 3 by any chance?
    If so, Asus can certainly release a BIOS update to allow us to upgrade the CPU... but whether or not they do this is another matter and depends entirely on them.
    When I asked them about this, they completely ignored that question by never replying to me.
    It might also depend on adoption. I think they managed to sell a good chunk of GL702ZC's by now.. so if the adoption is good, Asus might indulge us with a BIOS update.
    Also, if they decide to upgrade the unit to include a Ryzen refresh at some point, we are likely to see a BIOS update in that case (as its' obviously easier and cheaper to just upgrade the BIOS and replace the CPU without re-designing the whole laptop).

Fan noise is tolerable if you don't stress the GPU to the max... either way, I'd recommend wearing headphones which will muffle out the fan noise anyway.
    One of the ways to reduce fan noise would be to use Radeon Chill and limit the amount of FPS shown on screen. Depending on the game, the mileage will vary. 60 FPS is fine as a top limit because the panel is limited to 60Hz, so anything more than that would be wasted frames and produce higher termperatures needlessly.

Mass Effect Andromeda for example never stressed my GPU to the max though... and I limited the game to 60 FPS at 1080p and High settings.

Temps at idle vary... usually around 45 degrees C, and its similar for web browsing/media consumption, though the CPU temps rise occasionally to about 50 degrees C and over that if you are watching videos, depending on how much the hardware is stressed. Not a big deal at all.
    During gaming however, the CPU can reach about 75 degrees C approximately, and the GPU about 85 degrees C (if stressed to the max)... otherwise, the GPU will produce about 70-75 degrees C with moderate usage.

If you think you should wait for the refresh of Zen (12nm) or Zen 2 (7nm), then yes, as by that time, more OEM's are likely to adopt Ryzen in mobile space and Vega will replace Polaris as a dGPU (probably also on 12nm LP). And the CPU is more likely to come with a Vega iGP too which should improve battery life.

So, hardware and cooling implementation might simply be better on other OEM's laptops who adopt Ryzen and Polaris or Ryzen and Vega on 12nmLP.

Its up to you though.
    You could send a technical inquiry to Asus HQ or trying to call them and inquire about the BIOS update.
    They released 2 BIOS updates since launching the GL702ZC initially. The last BIOS update (303) enabled virtualization.

Vasudev and hmscott like this.
  7. mark2410

mark2410 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    probably a stupid question but as i have several dells, im v interested in the cpu in this, anyone know if its charger is compatible with dell laptops and vice versa?

8. Deks

Deks Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Asus uploaded Sonic Suite 2 to their drivers portion of the website.