Asus ROG Strix GL702ZC / G702ZC / S7ZC with Ryzen 7 1700 8-core CPU and a Radeon RX580 GPU

Discussion in 'ASUS Gaming Notebook Forum' started by sicily428, May 30, 2017.

1. mark2410

mark2410 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    is there anyway to force it to 3.7ghz on all cores or otherwise OC it?

2. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I also speculated that the 6 core version might be the one that doesn't have those copper pipes running over the RAM sticks... but, here's the weird thing, the 6 core version still hadn't been released.

3. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Good luck trying.
    I think it's possible to overclock the CPU, but I doubt it would be able to sustain those speeds due to the cooling limitations that Asus put in.
    The CPU easily reaches 85 degrees Celsius when stressed... and that's probably due to the CPU fan not ramping up accordingly to the load (as I've noticed it remains in low power mode).
    The system fans seem to kick in only when the GPU is in active use - which is odd to say the least.

You might be able to get away with a mild OC if Conductonaut thermal paste was on the GPU and CPU, but... that's only speculation.
    I'd rather upgrade to Ryzen refresh or Ryzen 2 (7nm) provided that Asus releases necessary drivers.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
  4. sicily428

sicily428 Donuts!! :)

Reputations:
  5. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    But, it still can't be undervolted, the tools aren't working, so if you can undervolt you might get a couple of multipliers higher in clock speed too.

I hope Asus releases working ROG tuning tools at some point, soon.

Maybe for the Ryzen+ models?

6. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:

Indeed.
    I'd prefer dropping the voltage on the stock frequencies of both the CPU and GPU to lowest stable settings before trying to overclock.
    In case of 7nm upgrade... I think we'd see the most performance uplift with architectural improvements in this version (Ryzen 2) while also experiencing a drop in power consumption -

7. hmscott

Reputations:
    The new 400 series motherboard chipset that comes with Ryzen+ is supposed to be lower power with finer grain control software, so maybe that will help with laptop implementations.

It looks like AMD's mobile solution is positioned under the Intel/AMD collaboration performance which is under the full Ryzen / Vega Mobile (1060 3GB / RX480).

If AMD/Intel can tame Ryzen + Vega for 100w total power consumption with 1060/RX480 performance levels, I'm sure we will get a discrete Ryzen+ + Vega(+?) 56/64 with higher than 1060/RX580 performance.

Hopefully more vendors will pick up that higher end combo, with Asus leading the way. :)

8. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Power requirements are hardly an issue in laptops that have proper cooling.
    Look at i7 7700HQ + 1070 or 1080 for example.
    1070 mobile alone has a TDP of over 100W... while 1080 mobile (alone) has a TDP of 150W.
    Couple that with a 45W TDP from the CPU, and the combined thermal and power requirements of a i7 7700HQ and mobile 1070 easily exceed those found in GL702ZC... and yet we see that in some laptops, their cooling is more than able to cope with the CPU and GPU... in varying cases producing temperatures in the range of 75-85 degrees C.

Asus for example seriously needs to step up their game in regards to cooling.
    From what I've seen, some ROG laptops with i7 and 1070 easily go over 90 degrees C.

As for the 400 series chipset coming with finer grain control software and lower power... not sure about either of those since the only big difference we officially know of is the inclusion of PCI-E 3.0, but I'd genuinely be surprised if fine-tuned control of voltages was not included.

The 12nm LP specs however indicate lower voltages... but it's also designed for high performing hardware and high clocks... meaning that the existing Ryzen will probably see at least 20% boost on stock. Remember that this is no longer the low power process, and the chip density has been increased by 15% too... so it's possible that on the desktop end, AMD might be able to get 30% base clock increase over Ryzen 1 while remaining within the same TDP.

Voltage regulation on GL702ZC for both CPU and GPU seems to be contained to the BIOS and should work well if we can unlock the BIOS... or if Asus unlocks it.
    As it's evident from my previous posts, even Wattman does not show up in Adrenalin drivers for me.

Asus unlocking the BIOS however seems... unlikely at best as they could see this as a way for users to overclock their CPU's...
    Besides, it's possible that the auto voltage regulation on Ryzen 1700 here goes as low as it can given the existing clocks (I could be wrong though).

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  9. hmscott

Reputations:
    All we've got is some slides from AMD to go on, so as usual it's unknown what the shipping product will offer, but AMD made a point to say they are offering better power control and more power efficiency in their AMD 2000 desktops.
    8474_38_amd-launches-ryzen-apus-vega-gpus-talks-zen_full.png
    8474_40_amd-launches-ryzen-apus-vega-gpus-talks-zen_full.png
    Managing Power
    https://www.anandtech.com/show/1196...-apus-for-laptops-with-vega-and-updated-zen/4
    8474_32_amd-launches-ryzen-apus-vega-gpus-talks-zen_full.png
    Precision Boost 2
    https://www.anandtech.com/show/1196...-apus-for-laptops-with-vega-and-updated-zen/3
    amd_ryzen_processor_with_radeon_graphics_press_deck-legal_final-page-016.jpg
    8390_09_amd-launches-mobile-ryzen-radeon-vega-graphics.png
    "The key thing here is that AMD will continue to 1st and 2nd generation Ryzen support on all AM4 socketed motherboards and that is a good thing considering they are planning to refresh it this year in the form of X470. Being the successor to X370, the X470 flagship mainstream platform will be optimized specifically for 2nd Generation Ryzen APUs but that doesn’t mean you can’t run the chips on last years AM4 boards. The platform is said to feature lower power draw and will also be launching in April 2018 which means next to the latest Ryzen mainstream family."

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  10. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I saw those slides already... nothing out of the ordinary honestly.
    Having the ability to increase or decrease clocks in small increments is good, but existing motherboards already do this.
    The main issue for GL702ZC is basically a locked BIOS... if we could unlock it, we might/should be able to reduce voltages on the CPU and GPU on stock.

hmscott likes this.