Asus ROG Strix GL702ZC / G702ZC / S7ZC with Ryzen 7 1700 8-core CPU and a Radeon RX580 GPU

Discussion in 'Asus' started by sicily428, May 30, 2017.

1. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    If you play CPU-intensive multiplayer games like Battlefield 1, PUBG, and PlanetSide 2 at greater than 60 FPS, there will be a definite improvement.

Edit: Also AssCreed Origins :p

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
    hmscott likes this.
  2. Leonwastedsunset

Leonwastedsunset Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    U removed entire cooling unit? Is it possible to unscrew abit and slide in the 2nd ram into the top slot without messing up the thermal paste?

You did try to undervolt your cpu using ryzen master, What are your undervolted settings, i wanted to use it as a guide line, although it varys from chip to chips.

hmscott likes this.
  3. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I couldn't slide the ram into the slot without removing the cooling assembly.

As for undervolting the CPU... I tried that before the RMA, but the CPU already drops it's voltage accordingly under workloads to lowest settings. I tried using ryzen master to go below that, but my system froze every time I tried.

Granted, I hadn't tried that with my replaced mono.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
    hmscott likes this.
  4. Leonwastedsunset

Reputations:
    Isnt that gonna mess up the default thermal paste, is it okay to add the ram stick and reinstall the cooling unit without replacing the thermal paste. I saw the gunk when the person did a tear down, its disgusting as...... Even on the mem chip.

i also have gelid extreme thermal paste that i used on my desktop cooler maybe i could use that

hmscott likes this.
  5. brolo

brolo Newbie

Reputations:
    I tried to undervolt CPU but it had locked settings :|
    Anyone tried to undervolt GPU? I don't really have any problem with CPU temps to be honest.. GPU seems the thing to heat up more in games, even tho its not that bad eather the laptop stays cool while playing league of legends for example. PUBG its a rocket plane in regards to noise but it doesnt overheat(temps in 65-70s with coolerboost 20% and settings to make it run cooler).

hmscott likes this.
  6. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Looking "cleaner" - removing the gished out paste is one way to tell someone was in there and re-pasted. I said they notice differences, not that improving on the quality of the pasting is a bad thing, it just sticks out - looks different than every other laptop they open.

The heat pipes may / may not get hot enough in that area to conduct heat. There have been designs noticed that put a Wifi card too close to a heat pipe and it makes them hot - shorter life? - but they seem to work ok - putting a piece of ceramic insulator between the part and the heat pipe may work - but it can also conduct heat better if it's the wrong material.

I'm glad it's all working :)
    No, you don't want to "lift" a seated pasted component and push it back down again - it may trap air bubbles in the paste and make the temps worse. You can try it as a first "Plan A", but if temps are markedly higher go to "Plan B" and open it up again and re-paste from scratch - clean off all old paste and do it cleanly"

7. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    My temps seem to have been unaffected by removing the cooling assembly and putting it back.
    Though, if they DO get worse, I'll probably have to repaste.
    It's Asus own fault for designing a cooling assembly with copper pipes running directly above the RAM slots.

hmscott likes this.
  8. yrekabakery

Reputations:
    Interestingly enough, the pictures in the OP seems to show two different heatsink designs, one without the joint heatpipes running over the RAM slots. Maybe UltrabookReview had a pre-production unit?

9. Leonwastedsunset

Reputations:
    My speculation is that 6core variant of gl702zc may not have the extra heat pipe. But just my speculation, need mores people with 6 core to confirm

10. yrekabakery

Reputations:
    This doesn't seem to be the case. The configuration in the UltrabookReview article had the 8 core but did not have the heatpipes over the RAM slots.