Asus ROG Strix GL702ZC / G702ZC / S7ZC with Ryzen 7 1700 8-core CPU and a Radeon RX580 GPU

Discussion in 'Asus' started by sicily428, May 30, 2017.

1. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Way too long :)

Shorten it to a paragraph and include a link to his post.

2. Deks

Deks Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Then help me shorten it please.

This email needs to address these issues along with the laptop being unable to handle 100% load on CPU and GPU without throttling for as long as one needs maximum load.

How can we expect Asus to improve if we don't call them out on things like this?
    Or at the very least, raise the problem to such a degree where it could turn rather ugly if it came out publicly (which would actually be preferable, as people would need to know they can't just expect nice looks and sub-par functionality when in reality, you CAN have both - but it requires extra time and testing to get done).

This problem with OEM's designing sub-par cooling needs to stop.
    Asus needs to learn a lesson.
    If not a public announcement, then they need to correct it quietly... but correct it they must.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
  3. Deks

Deks Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Well, I spoke to my flatmate, and he says the email was already summarised.
    He also described it as a full report (something people apparently pay good money for).

Guys, I think this issue needs to be explained in detail to Asus so it gets tackled properly.
    I don't see it being addressed otherwise... especially if they made a mess of the cooling design and charge premium money for it (which they seem to have done and do).
    If I pay that kind of money (£1600) for a laptop, I would expect it to perform properly... which is something we didn't seem to get.

Other laptops already perform well and can sustain maxed out loads, or can be tweaked for example (undervolted, etc.) to sustain maxed out CPU and GPU for as long as someone needs them at lower temperatures.
    AMD already made both the CPU and GPU as efficient as they can get for their performance levels (you can't undervolt either - at least, not yet)... this is clearly an Asus problem (one I expect them to correct).

4. mhdvt

mhdvt Newbie

Reputations:
    I've not really had any issues with heat/temps, bearing in mind though I did repaste and use new thermal pads before hand like I do with any laptop. Temps are generally low to mid 80s at highest.

5. Deks

Deks Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    What kind of thermal compound did you use and where have you put the thermal pads (also, which thermal pads have you used)?

Btw, I can live with the low to mid 80 degrees C temps... but the fans are way too loud if the system is stressed.
    I can even let go of the battery being sub-par... but realistically, I do think Asus should have done better by say integrating better cooling by preventing the temperatures from going over say 75 degrees C at maximum load on both CPU and GPU.

It's a 17" laptop after all with efficient hardware.

My primary issue with the laptop was that the fans basically started running on 100% after playing Mass Effect Andromeda for 4 hours and never cycled down since then. I restarted the laptop, shut it down, powered it back up, waited over night before firing it up again, and the fans simply spin up to 100% from boot-up and never cycle down.

Since this happened during gaming, I'm suspecting that the heat in the system damaged internal circuitry, which leads me to think that either the cooling assembly wasn't designed properly (making it a design flaw), or it's an issue with the laptop being an early production unit.

Papusan likes this.
  6. mhdvt

mhdvt Newbie

Reputations:
    I used Grizzly Kryonaut and fujipoly extreme. Pads were placed where the rest of the thermal paste is on the chips around the gpu/cpu.

Also worth noting that the ASUS bios doesn't engage the fans as best as it could. The fans will never go above state 3 on their own. using the ec-probe tool from nbfc you can force it to cool harder (although with the obvious downside of it getting louder) the ec registers for the fans are 0x97 and 0x98 for the left and right fan respectively. The values can go between 0 and 8. I found that at level '4' a make -j16 of Linux will still keep temps in the high 60s rather than high 80s.

re: Stock voltages for the RX580 being too high; you can manually undervolt the RX580 to reduce temps further without any performance loss (actually returns a gain in most cases), see here https://www.phoronix.com/forums/for...27-asus-rog-strix-gl702zc?p=992308#post992308

After repasting and new thermal pads, undervolting the RX580 and engaging a higher fan level I'm seeing very good temperatures.

7. Deks

Deks Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Cool... Though, which software have you used to undervolt the gpu? I can't use wattman as it does not appear in the drivers and watttool doesn't allow changing the voltages.

Also which voltages have you applied and how?

Edit: I noticed you used a script based tool to undervolt, but it looks like you also managed to get the gpu to run constantly at 1077 mhz without downclocking per your own notes.
    This kinda defeats the purpose though because the gpu shouldn't be running at 100% all the time.

Isn't it possible to simply affect the voltage for the final p state and not touch the rest?

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017 at 6:15 AM