Asus ROG Strix GL702ZC / G702ZC / S7ZC with Ryzen 7 1700 8-core CPU and a Radeon RX580 GPU

Discussion in 'Asus' started by sicily428, May 30, 2017.

1. Deks

Deks Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Indeed... as for Nvidia's GPU's... they can't really be undervolted without lowering the clock speeds because the two are linked.
    As such, when talking about voltages, AMD and Nvidia aren't comparable. For all intense and purposes, nvidia already runs on optimized Voltages (thanks in part due to auto-voltage tuning, and Nvidia setting a lower upper voltage threshold lower than 1.2V - plus using a manuf. process better suited for higher clocks), whereas AMD does not... hence why undervolting shouldn't be overlooked in AMD's case or considered any voltage 'tweaking' as 'cheating'.

At the very least, we know that the ROG laptop with Ryzen and RX 580 does not throttle in gaming.... what will be interesting to see if we can undervolt the RX 580 (most likely yes) to reduce power consumption and reduce temperatures.
    If the RX 580 can undervolt in this laptop, it might be possible we could overclock the GPU as well to run a tad faster (again for a lower power draw than stock).

Will have to wait and see until I can get my hands on the thing.
    I've been waiting for my paycheck to finally clear so I could get the laptop, but there have been issues.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
    hmscott likes this.
  2. xsais

xsais Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    When would it be released or is it already?

EDIT: is there any possibility of them making the power brick smaller / changing the look?

Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
    hmscott likes this.
  3. Maru

Maru Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    PC Watch has Takashi Liu's GL702ZC-r7 review (ja) reporting that the fan is quiet for CPU-only loads, so the laptop is suited for multithread CPU-limited content creation tasks (photo editing, 3d rendering, video production). He also reports the CPU clock can be raised, although the GPU is limited to 68W and can't be raised.

hmscott likes this.
  4. xsais

Reputations:
    That's good, I could Imagine people that are getting this laptop are mostly focused on CPU intense tasks.

hmscott likes this.
  5. Maru

Maru Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Three users are reporting that AMD-V virtualization support (often labeled in the BIOS as SVM Secure Virtual Machine support) is not enabled, and the current BIOS of GL702ZC / S7GZ has no setting to enable it.

GL702ZC: darklajid at ROG forums (en): AMD-V not enabled ("Virtualization: disabled" in Task Manager / Performance). No AMD-V or SVM setting in BIOS. In Intel ROG laptops, VT-x can be enabled. Still contacting support.

S7ZC: FA in JD product comment (zh): AMD-V not enabled. Needed to run [Android?] simulator multicore. Not aware of plans to update BIOS.

GL702ZC: TMM_ at Phoronix forums (en): AMD-V not enabled. Filed a bug with Asus. Was able to get Linux working with a development build (Fedora 26, amd 4.3.11 staging, ...), though touchpad is not working well yet.

In addition to multicore Android smartphone/tablet development, virtualization is also used for developing cloud or cluster applications using containers like Docker 64-bit, and for testing developed software on different operating systems or on different OS versions. So CPU virtualization support is a requirement for many multicore software developers and programming students.

[edit: added TMM_ paragraph.]

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
  6. Maru

Maru Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    JagatReview has Gatot Tri Yuwono's nice detailed picture tour and review of the Asus RoG Strix GL702ZC (id) (viewed translation via Chrome browser).

The fourth page (id) shows the 8-core Ryzen 1700 performing well on multicore content creation application benchmarks such as rendering (Cinebench, Autodesk 3DS Max, Blender), transcoding (Handbrake), and image manipulation (Photoshop). Some of the PCMark scores might improved slightly with a faster SSD.

Temperatures were at most 85°C on the fan 'auto' setting, and below 70°C on the 50% setting. The loudest 100% setting was not needed. (The ambient temperature was not specified.)
    • Charts CPU temps on 3 fan settings (auto/50%/100%) while idle and on full CPU load (Blender).
    • Charts GPU & CPU temps on 3 fan settings (auto/50%/100%) while gaming (Metro Last Night).
    • Many FLIR images show which laptop surfaces stay cool or get hot (while gaming).
    The conclusion (id) points out that the GL702ZC may be the lightest, most portable system available with the 8-core Ryzen.

zdroj, xsais and hmscott like this.
  7. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I've had a laptop come without virtualization in the BIOS enabled at release, it took about 5 months for them to update the BIOS. (Haswell laptop: Acer).

Keep complaining to Asus :)

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
    xsais and Maru like this.
  8. Deks

Deks Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I'll also raise a ticket to Asus about upcoming AGESA 1.0.0.7 (the one that would enable support for Ryzen refresh, Ryzen 2 and 3).
    I don't tend to use virtualization so it doesn't exactly pertain to my situation, however, it's downright silly that it's not enabled by default.
    Seems to me Asus still might be getting out of its way to cater more for Intel vs AMD... though, in all honesty, it's early days yet.

It's also quite odd that the GPU being limited to 68W results in ridiculous fan noise under gaming - even limiting the FPS to 60 and enabling Radeon chill in the drivers doesn't do much to reduce the fan noise.
    Yes, the temps are acceptable, but it's not advisable to game without headphones.
    Ori and the Blind Forest however is one game that doesn't seem to stress the GPU at all... fans stay on low and it can be easily played without headphones.

Any other demanding 3d game though... nope.
    Asus should have done more to improve cooling in this laptop (especially for the gpu).
    There's no reason for the fans to be so loud for a 68W GPU limitation - even the GTX 1060 has a higher maximum TPB than this and the fan noise is lower.

EDIT:
    One other question... how do I reliably set the fans to 50%?
    Should I use the Asus ROG Gaming Center for that and then go into the FAN boost and move the slider to 50%?

I can definitely try that, but my past experience seems to indicate that the FANS will ramp up regardless of what I try.
    Also, keeping the fans at a certain lower level and temperatures on the GPU at say 70 deg C would be really acceptable.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
    hmscott likes this.
  9. xsais

Reputations:
    I found this review online

hmscott likes this.
  10. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Great multi-core performance from the Ryzen 1700 :)
    GL702ZC Cinebench R15 score 1412 multi 148 single.jpg
    Firestrike GL702ZC 1700 580 plus temps.jpg
    Asus ROG GL702ZC gaming fps.jpg
    Now if only Asus would produce enough to get into shops for sale before Xmas :)

sicily428 likes this.