Asus ROG Strix GL702ZC / G702ZC / S7ZC with Ryzen 7 1700 8-core CPU and a Radeon RX580 GPU

Discussion in 'Asus' started by sicily428, May 30, 2017.

1. Deks

Deks Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Indeed... as for Nvidia's GPU's... they can't really be undervolted without lowering the clock speeds because the two are linked.
    As such, when talking about voltages, AMD and Nvidia aren't comparable. For all intense and purposes, nvidia already runs on optimized Voltages (thanks in part due to auto-voltage tuning, and Nvidia setting a lower upper voltage threshold lower than 1.2V - plus using a manuf. process better suited for lower clocks), whereas AMD does not... hence why undervolting shouldn't be overlooked in AMD's case or considered any real 'tweaking' as 'cheating'.

At the very least, we know that the ROG laptop with Ryzen and RX 580 does not throttle in gaming.... what will be interesting to see if we can undervolt the RX 580 (most likely yes) to reduce power consumption and reduce temperatures.
    If the RX 580 can undervolt in this laptop, it might be possible we could overclock the GPU as well to run a tad faster (again for a lower power draw than stock).

Will have to wait and see until I can get my hands on the thing.
    I've been waiting for my paycheck to finally clear so I could get the laptop, but there have been issues.