Asus ROG Strix GL702ZC / G702ZC / S7ZC with Ryzen 7 1700 8-core CPU and a Radeon RX580 GPU

Discussion in 'Asus' started by sicily428, May 30, 2017.

1. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
  2. don_svetlio

don_svetlio Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Still better than the 61dB(A) of the RB14 :D

hmscott likes this.
  3. BeastOG

BeastOG Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Full english review is up on notebookcheck

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Asus-...700-Radeon-RX-580-Laptop-Review.247548.0.html

Looks like it's kind of a mixed bag overall, but it's definitely a nice package and a step in the right direction. Whenever they
    put a mobile version of vega out, that combo would definitely be killer.

Edit: it looks like there will be a vega nano with a TDP of around 150 watts being released in the near future. If that's true, that would be perfect (assuming good performance).

Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
    hmscott likes this.
  4. link626

link626 Asus GL502VM, Lenovo Y580, Asus K53TA

Reputations:
    considering that 13dba increase is greater than 10dba, which is generally understood to be double the volume,

Play any fan noise recording at 50% volume and 100% volume, and you'll see that an extra 13dba is very perceptible to the human ear.

at idle low cpu load, this 702zc probably sounds fine

i hope future reviews have a video recording of this under load.
    and how it compares to this....

hmscott likes this.
  5. Deks

Deks Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Some news on the ROG Ryzen laptops.

I tried calling Asus customer support to inquire about availability of ROG GL702ZC-GC104T,
    and the woman I got kept telling me I need to check with websites and social media for news, and of course the retailers.
    I kept telling the retailers were all in the dark about the release date of the laptops in question and that social media and websites are all out of date in terms of information, not to mention the fact the laptop was available for pre-order for months now with 0 change.
    I tried asking to speak to a supervisor, or to be connected to an office, or sales team, and she kept saying they don't have that information. It was really frustrating.

Finally, I sent off an e-mail to Asus with this issue and inquired about the release date or at least an approximation of it, and this is what I was told:

Many thanks for your email.

I am sorry that you had a poor experience when calling our service center. I will address that internally.

In regards to your question, we are VERY pleased to hear you have ordered our new RYZEN NB.

This will arrive in the UK by the second week of October (at the latest) but we are in fact pushing to have it land even earlier.

OCUK should have their stock by the first week of October.

Did you purchase from OCUK?

BR

Arjang Salehi

Gaming Manager

ASUS UK

So, there you have it folks... it would seem that availability of this particular laptop should happen at the latest in 5 weeks... potentially 4 weeks for Overclockers UK.

Intriguing.
    Finally can get my hands on a decent/sizeable upgrade.

hmscott likes this.
  6. Maru

Maru Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Prohardver (hu) has a nice Asus Strix GL702ZC review. Ryzen Master was used to optimize clocks, acheiving 0/8/12/19% multicore improvement depending on the benchmark, at the expense of turbo boost. Apparently they measured low idle and (CPU?) load noise levels and high full (CPU+GPU) stress noise, the latter presumably due to the higher-than-stock multicore clocks. (The low-high difference might mean more than the absolute numbers.)
    (via GL702ZC article list at Techspot.)

NotebookCheck (en) lists more GPU benchmarks that weren't included in their GL702ZC review, on their RX 580 page. (Perhaps the measurements weren't ready in time for publication, or perhaps they didn't consider them reliable: for example, they list a Luxmark Room Scene score near desktop RX 470 as you might expect, but they list a Luxmark Sala scene score way below expected, so there may be an OpenCL driver problem or other problem somewhere.)

Deks and hmscott like this.
  7. Deks

Deks Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I'm hoping the GPU results aren't due to throttling issues... which sounds like they might be.
    This might open up the GPU to the option of being undervolted via Wattman which would allow it to achieve and sustain boost clocks (past 1200 MhZ?).
    Also, if they overclocked the 1700 then they might have ended up starving the GPU of needed power as a result.
    Ryzen Master seems like another Windows software utility like Wattman... meaning that the CPU could be undervolted on stock without affecting the boost.

I think undervolting both the CPU and GPU would be key or important as it would allow supply of enough power to both pieces of hardware by avoiding thermal throttling and allowing them to reach their proper potential - but in all honesty, Asus should have already done this themselves and improved upon the cooling.

8. Deks

Deks Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Also ... here's more information on my inquiry regarding Asus ROG laptops with Ryzen 1600 and 1700 about RAM speed and capacity support, upcoming BIOS/AGESA revisions, etc.

This is an extract from the email I sent them:
    "One other thing... will the Asus ROG GL702ZC-GC104T support higher frequency RAM and will we be able to choose between 16 and 32 GB RAM too?
    Ryzen has Infinity Fabric in it (as you might be aware) which is sensitive to RAM speeds... and it was noted that replacing the 2400 MhZ RAM to 3000 MhZ increased Ryzen's performance by 10% or more.

Also, will the motherboard in that laptop receive future BIOS and AGESA updates that AMD releases which could affect Ryzen's performance for the better"

And their response:
    "Our models are only tested with 2400Hz memory and the R7 with come with 16GB memory installed on our first batch.

We have no plans to install 32GB as standard.

Our laptops are always able to have BIOS revisions – but we cannot guarantee how quickly they are released, and how compatible they are with our other internal components.

These will be tested / tried on a case by case basis.

Many thanks"

So... it looks like the first batches will be arriving with 16GB RAM.
    There's 0 official word on 32GB as standard (which is odd considering the official Asus webpage for this ROG laptop states 'up to 32GB'.

I would have hoped that we will at least get an option to customize the laptop to the point where it could have higher capacity RAM with faster speeds.

Mind you, faster RAM speeds did not seem to impact Cinebech multicore results at all... most of what it did was increase 1080p gaming performance... which is kind of critical here because the laptop's screen will be 1080p.

Still, I don't think the issue will be too apparent since I'll mainly be working with 3d Studio Max, etc, and some gaming too.

I could always upgrade to 32GB faster RAM speeds several months down the line when the prices drop - that's assuming that Asus keeps releasing BIOS/AGESA updates for the motherboard as AMD releases them and that the motherboard won't be artificially 'locked' to 2400 MhZ (though I doubt Asus would introduce this kind of limitation).
    Looks to me like they are going with a B350 motherboard (which should incorporate most of the AGESA updates to date).
    What worries me is that usually laptops end up with a much shorter life-cycle in terms of support. So, they release 1, or maybe two BIOS updates and then completely stop - though, this time, it might be different given that this laptop is more of desktop equivalent (with desktop grade parts) than a customized laptop (which also has downsized desktop grade hardware, but more customized?).

hmscott likes this.
  9. BeastOG

BeastOG Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Well the good thing is that by the time they release it and have all the release kinks worked out, Black Friday will be around the corner. I got 32gb for about $100 last year, so you should be able to find some good deals on it then.

hmscott likes this.
  10. Deks

Deks Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Yeah, but good luck finding 32GB (2x16GB) so-dimm DDR4 3000 MhZ for £100.
    This is laptop RAM we're talking about and the cheapest I saw 32GB 3000 GhZ (so-dimm) online was for about £295 (I think).
    Doubt that Black Friday would drop prices by £195.
    They might slash it down to £150 for example... but I'm not so sure about that either.
    Black Friday means they have select items on discount - and this usually implies low grade tech.

Further issue is that the laptop might ship with 2x8GB sticks... so if I'll want to upgrade the RAM, it will mean taking out both ram sticks and putting in 2x16GB.

Though here's what Notebookcheck says on the laptop memory:
    16384 MB so-dimm ddr4-2400 Mhz single channel, 1 of 2 slots used, 32gb max.

This indicates that the laptop might ship default with 16GB RAM stick in just 1 slot giving room for expansion to 32GB... but again the issue is RAM speed.
    And running things in single-channel at first would be discouraging (especially due to infinity fabric sensitivity to RAM speeds and single/dual channel modes).
    Ryzen Master software might potentially be used to increase RAM to 2800 or 3000 MhZ (which is 25% at maximum), but not sure how it would affect stability or RAM thermals.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
    hmscott likes this.