Asus ROG Strix GL702ZC / G702ZC / S7ZC with Ryzen 7 1700 8-core CPU and a Radeon RX580 GPU

Discussion in 'Asus' started by sicily428, May 30, 2017.

1. don_svetlio

don_svetlio Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Honestly, anything under 90*C under heavy load is usually fine. In most cases, you'd likely see thermals of around 80*C anyway. I mean, my machine does go to 90*C if I put it near max load but in games like CS:GO, Hearthstone and HotS - I average 75-78*C

Vasudev and hmscott like this.
  2. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    @Papusan knows what I am speaking to, the ill fitting Clevo heatplates - mostly for high CPU temps, but I've also seen higher than Asus GPU temps.

Remember this Asus laptop is the 1st RX580 / Ryzen laptop, so there will be some adjustment period as Asus get the design optimized, I think it's excellent for their first attempt.

Also, with the new 144hz Chimera absorbing 144 FPS gaming heat, beefed up cooling, hopefully the designs can feed off of each other for future laptops.

I'm hopeful that companies will start making thermally friendly physically larger designs as they see their customers are becoming savvy to the fact that thin laptops + performance are impossible to build.

We need the volume and weight of real cooling to handle these and future higher power higher thermal CPU's and GPU's, there's no faking it moving forward.

Vasudev and don_svetlio like this.
  3. Papusan

Papusan BGABOOKS = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    I'm sure Clevo P8xx socket beast with fully cooling capacity of +500w would have ice cold graphics temp if we could use a single 65w gaphics from AMD or just put in similar performing graphic from Ngreedia (80W 1060):D And for the records... I can't see my machine suffering from temp problems:oops: Wasn't even a problem out of the box.

Edit. And please don't forget the other review of Asus with R1700 and AMD RX580

But I would say this is a drunk man's work... Awful designed cooling!!
    upload_2017-9-13_1-59-53.png

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
  4. hmscott

Reputations:
    The "Chaotic layout" probably has a design reason, so as to not concentrate the heatpipe "overpass" in one area heating up surrounding components.

The Clevo "chaotic flatness" is manufacturing and QC follies, not "designed for"... or maybe it is ;)

5. Papusan

Papusan BGABOOKS = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    I'm sure more than me have got an ok Heatsink from Clevo. I've even got good quality heatsink for both of my Clevo's:eek: I have won the lottery, HeHe. Not every day this happens, HaHa. Maybe I should spend more money on lottery? I play and my wife pay?:D YEES!!

6. PredatoR_TR

PredatoR_TR Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Doesnt really 38-40db idle noise level bother you?

I never used MSI but as far as I compare it online, it is always louder than Asus. (I do not compare how cool it works).

For that extra work from Asus with more heatsink, etc at GL model, I expect less noise.

hmscott likes this.
  7. hmscott

Reputations:
    It's min 32dba not 38dba, learn to read / post / inform for accuracy :)

And, Ambient is measured as 31dba, so the G702ZC is 1dba above ambient room noise at idle at minimum - which is when nothing else is running - the range of 32 dba to 40dba is likely high due to actual work being done - not actually idle, they were a bit lax in including that higher measurement, IMHO.

You can't have a low min of 32dBA at idle and call 40dBA idle too, likely new laptop syndrome, with background things de-idling the laptop. :)

In fact you can see this in the idle graph, with less than idle peaks at the start smoothing out to 32dBA true idle the longer it sat "idle". 1st Graph.
    noise emissions g702zc.JPG
    noise chart - comparisons.JPG
    5% higher than 3 quiet laptops in comparison, and 12% for the one. So not noisy out of the box, and I think tuning will give better results.

For a power hungry 8 core CPU + RX 580, plus reasonably low temps, that's amazing. :cool:

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  8. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Those Witcher 3 and Max load DB are worrying. As you may be aware DB measurements are not linear, and 57 DB is high if constant. Hopefully its pitch isn't bad.

Vasudev likes this.
  9. jrwingate6

jrwingate6 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Not impressed after reading the full review.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

10. link626

link626 Asus GL502VM, Lenovo Y580, Asus K53TA

Reputations:
    What, those percentages don't make sense. The math is totally fkd up

decibels is logarithmic.

3dBa increase = 41% louder.

So Asus 57dba vs Acer 44dba ....13dba increase.... is a 346% increase in volume.

So this Asus is very noisy.

I don't care about idle noise. If you're doing anything intensive, you might need one of these (well almost)...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017