Asus ROG Strix GL502VT

Discussion in 'ASUS Gaming Notebook Forum' started by ZeneticX, Apr 26, 2016.

1. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I can't warrant safety of OC, there are always potential issues when running components outside published specification, but I haven't had problems.

All I can personally say is that of the last 5 laptops I have OC'd the display panel (Asus G750JW, G750JX, G750JH, MSI G72, GT80. Panels: Chi Mei, AUO, Samsung) from 60hz up to 100hz I haven't had any fail on me.

I recommend only doing it for games / apps that can run their FPS at that OC refresh rate - otherwise there isn't much point.

I also recommend using something like Rivatuner (RTSS) to limit FPS to refresh rate, that reduces load on CPU / GPU as well as reducing tearing, simultaneously reducing heat and potentially fan speed / noise.

Some panels won't OC far, the 17.3"/18.4" have done best, but even then I had one that would only OC to 70hz (AUO).

15.6" panels don't OC more than a few hz - so that might be your limit.

Be sure to know the procedure for setting the refresh, and ability to recover from that setting back to defaults.

In Windows if the screen won't sync at a test refresh rate, then wait for it to fall back to the default, if it doesn't then power off with the power button and when powered off, power up again and it should run at default refresh again.

Have fun :)

Mohammed Saeed likes this.
  2. Mohammed Saeed

Mohammed Saeed Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks alot for the info ,ill give it a try in Overwatch and turn it off to see how it works . :)

hmscott likes this.
  3. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Note that Intel's Control Panel is still broken for custom refresh setting / saving last I checked, so you can only do this while in dGPU mode where the Nvidia Control panel controls the internal display.

4. tomek1103

tomek1103 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    A little update on my gl502 (970m) after 7 months of use:

1. 2 out of the 3 usb 3.0 ports are not working. 1 of them was dead on arrival, the second one died yesterday out of no reason. Can't use a keyboard and mouse simultaneously anymore.
    2. trackpad is acting up, with the right click button refusing to work sometimes and leaving me with tapping the right side with 2 fingers instead
    3. Coil whine is annoying as hell once you hear it. Especially when you're browsing the web or doing something that doesn't require the fans to kick in.
    4. Heat build-up is too high above the keyboard - makes me worried about the components inside, who knows, maybe this screwed up the ports

Unfortunately I bought it overseas, but got extended warranty from hidevolution. Already contacted them, we'll see how it goes.
    Long term rating - 3/5. I'm jumping to the new alienware or razer blade after getting rid of this crap, hope to see better build quality there.

tetramelos likes this.
  5. ste180

ste180 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have the 980m version GL502VY (got it in June) and it gets super hot above the keyboard as well. Also, the AC adapter gets extremely hot to the point that I can't touch it. I don't know if that is normal. The screen also has a pressure mark. I heard a lot of good things about Asus laptops prior to purchasing but I guess that only really applied to their 17 inch laptops. Now that I think about, I should have gone with Alienware or Sager.

6. don_svetlio

don_svetlio In the Pipe, Five by Five.

Reputations:
    From what I can deduce, the hotspot is caused by the VRM cooling - there is a large heatpipe running over the VRMs of the GPU and CPU and those do tend to put out quite a bit of heat as well. You could update your BIOS to ver. 300 and that reduces the heat quite a bit but at the expense of fan noise. To give you an idea - when using ver. 300 I was getting quite a bit of noise and had to turn up my game sound to overpower it. With ver. 203 - it's quite a bit quieter and in most games I don't even notice it over my AC or skype call.

As for the adapter - the 970M and 980M versions of the GL502 use the same one - the 980M is just more powerful and thus more power-hungry. That is usually the case with high end laptop adapters - they are either massive or run warm - hell, the Blade 14's adapter is capable of burning you at max load from what I've seen.

7. ste180

ste180 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yes, I have bios 203. I don't mind the fan noise as long as things are cool. I have now undervolted my cpu so while gaming, both cpu and gpu are just below 80 Celsius. Before this, my cpu was hitting 99-100 Celsius and throttling. However while gaming when plugged in, the laptop doesn't charge. In fact, my battery gets drained little by little. If I'm playing for about 2-3 hours straight on a full charge, I get about half of the battery remaining when I'm done. I don't know if this is normal. I just think, the 980m version should have had a beefier adapter.

8. brattak

brattak Newbie

Reputations:
    its possible if i have 24\24 power supply connect remove the battery?

9. don_svetlio

don_svetlio In the Pipe, Five by Five.

Reputations:
    That's definitely not normal - you should be eligible for RMA IIRC

10. link626

link626 Asus GL502VM, Lenovo Y580, Asus K53TA

Reputations:

interesting, as this is the same chassis as my gl502vm.
    Do you game a lot?
    keep adequate ventilation underneath?
    do you carry it around from place to place, or on desk most of the time?