Asus ROG Strix GL502VT

Discussion in 'ASUS Gaming Notebook Forum' started by ZeneticX, Apr 26, 2016.

1. GigaG

GigaG Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    My decision to buy the GL502VT was somewhat of a rush job. I bought the base model (1TB HDD, 12GB RAM) at a local Best Buy when my first choice (the Gigabyte Aero 14) came in defective.

Of course, a 5400RPM 1TB HDD is not very good on a gaming laptop.

However, I'm reluctant to upgrade anything. The computer's left hinge has a small gap, and when that gap developed, the computer clicked when opening and closing. The clicking has stopped, but the gap concerns me and I'm worried that I'll need to warranty replace it eventually if that balloons into something worse.

Which leads me to the question - does upgrading the HDD to an SSD, or adding an SSD to the M.2 slot, void the warranty?

2. barakred

barakred Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hi.

So I bought this laptop (1070, with 256ssd) and used it for a week and here is what I have to say for now.

1. fingerprints magnet - as you all probably know by now
    2. battery is disappointing, 3hours top of doing nothing
    3. total beast when it comes to gaming, awesome screen and view, never going below 70fps in all games, epic settings.
    4. ****-tons of bloatware.. so useless, wasting my time removing all this ****...

from now ill elaborate more
    5. This laptop's adapter has 180watt output (9.23A, 19.5V), while the laptop requires ~183 at max performance (9.5A?)..
    the result? battery discharge while plugged, which is unacceptable! I mean, losing 10% battery after an hour of gaming? really??
    What will happen in 2 years? When my battery will last ~10minutes, I wouldnt be able to get it on...

6. Tempratures - a bit high. nothing unusual though.. people are whining about ~85 degrees. I played overwatch on ultra, and GTA V on ultra, and my GPU reached 84c top. which is fine. fans are loud, yes, but hey, thats a gaming laptop...
    keyboard is not getting hot where the fingers are, which is ok.

For now, I returned the laptop to ASUS. I explained that a discharging battery while being plugged is a deal breaker.
    they think this issue is related to the machine and this morning they called and said they are replacing my laptop to a brand new one.

If the second laptop has this same issue, ill definitely ask for a refund.. this issue is a deal-breaker for me.

Anyone experienced the same problem? did asus solve this?

3. KylePR

KylePR Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I've seen other people talking about the battery discharge while plugged in, specifically on the version with the gtx1070.

4. ste180

ste180 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have the 980m version of this laptop. I haven't really played too much on my laptop but I figure that 180W is not enough for the 980m either. I maxed out GTA 5 which caused the game to crash on a few occasions but I can't be sure if it was a power issue. I know that Alienware had problems pairing 180W adapters with the 980m. Unfortunately, I overlooked this issue when I first got the laptop so I can't return it now.

5. Spash

Spash Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have the same model (G502VS) and no issue at all about the battery while gaming, still around 100% even after few hours of games...
    Bought it in France, maybe there is a difference ?

6. barakred

barakred Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    how many watts your adapter can supply?
    mine could do 180 (19.5volt, 9.23amp)

btw - i've returned the laptop for a refund.. now i cant find a similar preformance & priced laptop (except for clevo, but no warranty in my country)

7. ste180

ste180 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Same 180W adapter came with mine.

8. barakred

barakred Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Weird. I've talked to few more people with that exact problem. One of them made a very nice review on youtube regarding this laptop.
    He did notice the issue and stated Alienware used to have this problem too back on the 970M machines.
    A solution was to replace the power adapter.

When I sent my unit to ASUS lab, they said the unit was defective and did not replace my power adapter.

9. Charlie087

Charlie087 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi, I have an Asus GL502VT with the gtx 970m 3gb vram and 16gb of ram (8gb soldered + 8gb in one slot). I wanted to know if I can replace the 8gb in the slot with 1 single 16gb ram to reach 24gb of total ram. Is it possible? 'Cause Asus official website says it can go "up to 16gb" but many sites say the contrary (included Notebookcheck) and there are a lot of versions with 24gb of ram and gtx 970m 3gb. Thank you!

10. Mohammed Saeed

Mohammed Saeed Newbie

Reputations:
    Is it safe to adjust the refresh rate ? i dont have an Asus laptop , i have MSI PE60 6QE which uses the same panel CMN15D2

hmscott likes this.