Asus ROG Strix G15 Advantage Edition : All AMD baby!

Discussion in 'ASUS Gaming Notebook Forum' started by IKAS V, Jun 4, 2021.

1. Redbeard

Redbeard Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  2. TrungGap

TrungGap Newbie

Reputations:
    Any encountering frame rate drops when playing a game and watching a video? Regardless if I'm using an external monitor via hdmi or not, whenever I play Diablo 3 and watch some video whether it's Youtube via Chrome or a local video file via Media Player Classic BE. The frame rate drops from around 112 fps to 60 and as low as 15 fps. On average it would bounce between 20 fps to 60 fps. When I check the CPU usage, the RX 6800m is only using around 22%. I force the MPC to use integrated graphic, but that didn't help.

When I force Diablo 3 to use integrated graphic, it tops out around 78 fps. When I play a local video (via MPC), Diablo 3 tops out around 66 fps (locked). How can this be? Using integrated graphic yields a more stable frame rate.

Anyone has fix/workaround?

Spartan@HIDevolution likes this.
  3. brajesh143

brajesh143 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Guys i am from India and i am planning to get G17 VERSION of this laptop. My relative is coming to India from USA by December hopefully G17 comes out. If not gonna purchase g15 from https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-r...eonrx-6800m-512gb-ssd/6466550.p?skuId=6466550 -1650 dollars
    I need a economical but a effective replacement for RAM 16 GB is enough ? 32 GB does it make difference in gaming ? kindly link one good ram kit
    I need a additional storage stock SSD 512 GB i will use for windows. Can i install normal internal hard disk like this one https://www.bestbuy.com/site/wd-blu...ard-drive-for-laptops/6220725.p?skuId=6220725 . Disk read and write speed doesn't matter as long as it doesn't impact gaming frames per second. Loading times i can live with it. Or its mandatory to get another SSD ? I am on a tight budget of maximum 2000 dollars

4. brajesh143

brajesh143 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
  5. avogev

avogev Newbie

Reputations:
    anyone try gaming with the lid closed? i wonder if its just a placebo effect but it seems to run warmer. i read somewhere that it uses a sensor to monitor heat on keyboard as well as some vents from the top, but i only read that in one place and havent found any verification on that.

6. shardey

shardey Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I’m sure the radiant heat above the keyboard is getting trapped a bit more inside of it causing a higher temp.

I’d keep it open a bit with a USB fan blowing across it and see if it drops the temps even further.

7. JeanLegi

JeanLegi Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Which driver version from AMD did you use currently? And you use Windows 10 or 11?

You can only use M.2 SSDs which supports the nvme protocoll there is no space to use a 2,5" HDD or SSD and the both M.2 Slots don't support the sata protocoll.
    If you want do gaming only i would say 16GB is enough for the first time. you can use it and check if 16 GB is enough or not.

8. brajesh143

brajesh143 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    kindly link one good ram kit 2x8 gb for getting more fps in games and one M.2 SSD which supports the nvme protocoll budget total of max 350 dollars. thank you

9. JeanLegi

Reputations:
    I can't find them on best buy so here is an amazon link for the Memory i use https://www.amazon.com/-/en/dp/B097TM4C4S .
    if you want to buy it then buy 32GB it makes no sencd to change 16GB with another 16GB. or you check if you have 1RX8 CL22 Single Rank in your device if yes there is not really a reason to change it in my opinion. but it is your choice if not really needed i would recommend to use the factory memory and buy new memory later.

I have good experince with sabrent i use a 2TB PCIe 4x Gen 3.0 and a 1TB Rocket Q4 PCIe 4x Gen 4.0 nvme ssd M.2 in my gaming rigs.
    In reference to your $350 i would recommend this two options the second option is $33 over your target price.
    Sabrent PCIe Gen 3.0: https://www.amazon.com/-/en/dp/B07LGF54XR.
    Price memory: $223.87
    Price Sabrent: $129.98 <--- 1TB SSD PCIe 4x Gen 3.0
    all: $353.85

Or you buy the PCie 4.0 Gen version https://www.amazon.com/-/en/dp/B07TLYWMYW the advantage here is that you should have less tempratures because the PCIe Gen 4.0 is running with PCIe Gen 3.0 speed.
    Price memory: $223.87
    Price Sabrent: $159.98 <---- 1TB SSD PCIe 4x Gen 4.0
    all: $383.85

i hope this helps a little.

brajesh143 likes this.
  10. JeanLegi

Reputations:
    sorry double post