*** Asus ROG Mothership Owners Lounge ***

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by SteveEricJordan, May 20, 2019.

1. SteveEricJordan

SteveEricJordan Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Last edited: May 20, 2019
  2. SteveEricJordan

Reputations:
    -

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
  3. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Darkhan and SteveEricJordan like this.
  4. SteveEricJordan

Reputations:
    -

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
    hmscott likes this.
  5. hmscott

Reputations:
    I still haven't seen the Asus ROG 'Mothership' GZ700GX for sale, but it's supposed to release in 2H19:
    https://www.asus.com/us/Laptops/ROG-Mothership-GZ700/

ROG:REDEFINE 2019 | Asus ROG 'Mothership' GZ700GX now available with factory-overclocked Intel Core i9-9980HK and OC NVIDIA RTX 2080 graphics
    https://www.notebookcheck.net/Asus-...and-OC-NVIDIA-RTX-2080-graphics.418740.0.html

And, LTT just released this behind the scenes of the ROG design studio where the Mothership was born:

How a Gaming Laptop Gets Made - ROG Design Center Tour
    Linus Tech Tips
    Published on Aug 31, 2019
    Thanks to ROG for sponsoring this video!
    Enter our ROG giveaway at https://lmg.gg/8KV5J for a chance to win one of their ASUS STRIX SCAR III Gaming Laptops. 2 days left as of this post...

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
  6. Vingard

Vingard Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Need to get my hands on one of these...

hmscott likes this.
  7. hmscott

Reputations:
    IDK how, in the LTT video he said they are only making 650 units...

8. Oneniquex

Oneniquex Newbie

Reputations:
    Just got it yesterday , So far so good I guess? did few benchmarks on it with stock turbo mode (refer pic) problem is I cant seem to find the sweet spot for undervolting the CPU .. tried from 0-130mv with cache limit at 50. anyone have any idea ? the i9 9980hk with both performance and turbo mode cant undervolt or im doing it wrong ? should I increase the voltage ?

https://imgur.com/wEDJUlr
    https://imgur.com/KJTQUdz

hmscott likes this.
  9. hmscott

Reputations:
    tl;dr -> So that's probably it, the stock OC out of the box is so high there is no margin for undervolt, and going higher might need additional +voltage or +undervolt/overvolt setting "voltage offset" using the same tool.

I haven't used ROG Laptop OC tuning tools for a while, one of the reasons I'm thinking of getting a G703GX-XB96K instead of an MSI this time, but as I recall there are performance modes + Windows Power Plan that can interfere with tuning.

You might make sure you are in the top Windows power plan and CPU Performance is set to 100%/100% in Advanced settings for High Performance (Asus might have renamed it), as 0%/100% will reduce the frequency except at 100% load. 0%/99% will disable Turbo FYI.

Otherwise the standard OC - Turbo - might be the problem, as you OC up from stock you reduce the voltage headroom for undervolting. At stock you may get -125mV, but at top OC on Asus I needed +10mV to +15mV and more - this is a while ago now, and each CPU model acts diffferently some will OC *and* allow some undervolt even up to 5.0ghz, YMMV.

So IDK if the Asus tools have a "stock" setting under Turbo, I'd work on the undervolt there first, and get the baseline of what is possible and then if it's user accessible set the OC one multiplier at a time for all cores and re-test the undervolt again, etc, until you are at full OC all core.

If the Asus tools won't do manual settings like that, they are all pre-baked OC's, then what I did was uninstall that Asus OC tool and install Intel XTU for CPU OC and at the time Asus had a separate GPU OC tool and I kept that for a long time, but eventually uninstalled that and since then I've used MSI Afterburner + RTSS for FPS limiting.

So that's probably it, the stock OC out of the box is so high there is no margin for undervolt. :)

10. Oneniquex

Oneniquex Newbie

Reputations:
    That's probably it. No room for UV .. Thanks hmscott :) , I tried everything. will wait for others to post their experience then >,<

On another note, if you are curious with the temps.. its awesome! im playing with no air cond (sensitive nose) and I'm in Asia - Malaysia to be precise where its hot ! ambiance temp around 25-28c

So here are the temps with performance mode (where cpu usually dont go above 4.2Ghz , where else turbo go as high as 5Ghz)
    Monster Hunter : 77~85c (few hrs of gameplay)
    Warhammer - Chaosbane : 75~81c (30 mins++)
    Anthem : 80~91c (4 hours of gameplay with very rare temp spike to 91 which only for a few secs and goes down lingering around 84~87c)
    Battlefield : 78~88c (an hr or so)

problem so far with the mothership :
    audio jack very sensitive when using with high end iems , you will hear abit of wheezing sound)
    keyboard not charging properly when using the cable (maybe its not suppose so charge ? have to mount and charge ?)

thats all ! and oh bought the ebags slim pro .. cant fit .. any recommendation ? any benchmark request or anything like ram/ssd model just let me know.

alaskajoel, sniffin and hmscott like this.