ASUS ROG GX501 Leaked

Discussion in 'ASUS Gaming Notebook Forum' started by HamzimusPrime, May 20, 2017.

1. Darkhan

Darkhan Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    AU Model AU042ED

hmscott likes this.
  2. Derek712

Derek712 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    http://cdn.ultrabookreview.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/hwinfo.jpg

Darkhan likes this.
  3. Derek712

Derek712 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I took some pretty consistent readings between the AW17 r4 and the GX501. Both read about 40dB at my ear level. At the exhaust the GX501 was a little louder though. In their defense, the exhaust noise is almost projected backwards because of the flap, so there's little or no reason to worry about that unless you're using it at a table across from someone.

As for the tone/pitch, I found the GX501 to be slightly more appealing, but it's mainly because of the flap pointing it backwards - I think it dampens the shrill a little better than the AW17. In the end, I don't really think it's that drastic a difference. AW does a really good job with the noise imho, and if you repaste and fix the heat issues, it's surely even better than the GX501.

Just to give everyone an update - After a solid 3 weeks, I don't think this machine is for me. "Think" is the key word here though. I still may keep it but I need to be sure and need more time to make the final call. It's a really nice machine and suits most of my needs, but there are a couple areas that I need a little more. Almost exclusively the reason being the battery life - 1-1.5 hours of productive work is not enough time for me. The other reason is the enthusiast in me wanting a little more juice out of the CPU and GPU. I could also use a second M.2 slot or a 2.5" bay. All these things combined are a tough pill to swallow for me to sacrifice in order to be a little more portable. I am ok with 17" laptops though, so my available options are much more wide open than others.

My sights are on the Aorus x7 DT now. I was thinking of going back to the AW17 and just dealing with the vbios/thermal issues the hard way, but with the Aorus coming out in a couple weeks, I figured I'll try that one first. I think that's going to be a nice balance between portability and power for me. Again though - that's just me.

I do still stand by my opinion that the GX501 is a pretty nice machine overall. If you can get past the cost and battery life, it's a really great buy. I can see how some are still arguing that it's a rip off for them crippling the GPU. But until someone finds a 15" laptop that's that thin and delivers more power, I don't think price arguments can be relevant just yet. The fact is, you're paying more for less in terms of power, but also in size and weight - a trade off some people are ok with. In the end, it's up to the purchaser to decide if that's worth it because, let's face it - those that purchase Clevo + AW are not the same as those that purchase Razer,MSI GS or this machine. Best of luck to those buying this one though. I may not be keeping it, but I would 100% pick this over any Razer laptop, if that's your other choice.

bsch3r, Darkhan and hmscott like this.
  4. HamzimusPrime

HamzimusPrime Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Darkhan and hmscott like this.
  5. bsch3r

bsch3r Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hmm, I bought a Clevo, AW and this one

Gesendet von meinem SM-G955F mit Tapatalk

hmscott likes this.
  6. bsch3r

bsch3r Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    No, this one is not for oc the cpu. However, if one seriously wants to oc the cpu one needs to keep away from all bga systems in the end. For me, the cpu is fast enough for gaming and also office work. I never intended to oc the cpu and do not have a need for it. In essence it is a portable gaming monster. And in my eyes it is what the RBP should have been from the beginning. But the RBP is flawed in many ways. This unit is quite and runs solid as a rock even with oc gpu. If you accept for whom this unit is meant for I can only find one real con: battery life. However, I can accept the poor battery life because I hate Optimus and love gsync, so this tradeoff is ok for me.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G955F mit Tapatalk

IKAS V and Darkhan like this.
  7. ijozic

ijozic Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    hmscott likes this.
  8. Cerreta28

Cerreta28 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm not sure if this will be a good price or not but I should have two systems brand-new available for sale with the GTX 1080 Max Q for 2450 i'll have them available in about a week and a half

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hmscott and IKAS V like this.
  9. IKAS V

IKAS V Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    That's the million dollar question what exactly to you get for 1070MQ performance? 1060 level ? slightly better?
    From reports the 1080MQ version is pretty quiet for a gaming notebook not sure how much more quiet...?
    Personally even though I think the 1080MQ model is expensive it is still a better value than the 1070MQ in my eyes just because you get better performance, is it $400 better? That's up to you.

hmscott, Cerreta28 and Darkhan like this.
  10. Cerreta28

Cerreta28 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'll have my first system tomo morning any tested needed to be run ?

I'm really considering flashing a 150w TDP Bios to it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017 at 7:01 PM
    hmscott likes this.