ASUS ROG GX501 Leaked

Discussion in 'ASUS Gaming Notebook Forum' started by HamzimusPrime, May 20, 2017.

1. bsch3r

bsch3r Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I bet a repaste will quiten loud units a lot. Mine is the quitest gaming notebook under load I ever owned out of the box.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G955F mit Tapatalk

Darkhan and hmscott like this.
  2. Papusan

Papusan BGABOOK's = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    Not me. I wouldn't pay more for maximum portability. I can use what I alredy have home. But this could be acceptable for me if I was in need... Or just use my smartphone
    [​IMG]

Maybe this is a better option. But $200 is on the high side:oops: Read the reviews... Lenovo Ideapad 100S

Conclusion

"Spending less than $200 on a laptop is a surprisingly viable option right now, and for those who mainly use Gmail, Facebook, Netflix and Amazon (or your own list of mail, social media, streaming video and online shopping tools), a laptop with an Intel Atom processor, low-res screen and paltry 32GB of storage may very well be all you need."

3. bsch3r

Reputations:
    What I meant is you pay more for a quite powerfull gaming laptop that is also portable. To each his own. I for my part want a portable unit which I can use for work and at the same time use for gaming at max settings. Of course someone else might find the solution with a deskop at home and a light notebook for work more suitable. I am sure you understand my point.

4. IKAS V

IKAS V Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    It is probably is sufficient in real world use and gaming stock but as a enthusiast and someone that likes OC I've found that smaller rated PSU's sometimes can't deliver enough power when pushing the clocks a bit.
    That was more of a personal opinion, but I guess that's what MaxQ is all about lowering voltage and power consumption while still delivering good performance.

5. bsch3r

Reputations:
    In BF1 power consumption never goes beyond 150W with a 200MHz OC on GPU and no oc on cpu with an undervolt of -130mV.

So with a little tweaking even with oc GPU the 230w psu is more than enough and very small and light which adds to the portability factor.

Imho a small 230W psu is a perfect fit for a max q system, ASUS made the right decision here.

Darkhan and hmscott like this.
  6. ijozic

ijozic Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You're comparing a user measured value at the exhaust with standardized results on notebookcheck tests. What's the point of that?

The stock Alienware 15 with a 1070 seems to be much louder than the GX501:

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Alienware-15-R3-Notebook-Review.196584.0.html

This is not an 1080, it's a gimped 1080 or "MaxQ" with a limited TDP so the provided 230W PSU should be enough unless they did their math wrong.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017 at 6:17 AM
    bsch3r, Darkhan and hmscott like this.
  7. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    There are no "standardized" tests, there are standard procedures by reviewer which aren't necessarily comparable.

Generally everyone tests right at the vents and at the user sitting position. They should probably test the sitting position to the right and left of the user - and directly behind the laptop across the table.

Different meters and different reflective environments make it impossible to compare different reviewers measurements, but it's all we have, and probably close enough. :)

That's exactly the point: Max-Q 1080 is not a 1080, it's PSU is under spec'd for full performance, saddled with a self-gimping 230w PSU it can't perform like a full powered / cooled 1080 laptop, ever.

Max-Q is not perfectly suited for a 1080, it's power limiting an otherwise fully capable 1080, which will never see it's life ambitions realized, forever chained down.

Sad, really.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017 at 7:28 AM
  8. chrisrelaxes

chrisrelaxes Newbie

Reputations:
    how much did all the upgrade posts? Would you mind posting a breakdown?

9. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Ultrabook Gaming: What Can Integrated Graphics Play? 31 Games Examined!

Papusan likes this.
  10. ijozic

ijozic Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    OK, but how do you figure GX501 is louder than Alienware 17 R4 at load then?

The 1080 MaxQ is gimped so it can fit this form factor which would not be able to handle the thermal output of the full 1080. Thus, the PSU is not underpowered.

But, one wonders why they chose to gimp the 1080 rather than somewhat optimize the 1070.. Not sure if it's e.g. due to higher margins they get on them or they're basically forced to put the "1080" in such a luxury machine because the potential buyers wouldn't accept having "just" a 1070 in their fancy new show-off piece?

Papusan and hmscott like this.