Asus ROG GL702ZC owners lounge

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by Deks, Oct 16, 2017.

1. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Try doubling or tripling up on the height of the back - 2x-3x higher than the front. This starts convective cooling, drawing air from front to back, which can increase air flow volume and transfer rate of heat to air over a level front to back stance.

If you use an external keyboard / mouse, you have more flexibility to place the laptop further from you, and if you have an external monitor you can place the laptop to the side - venting hot exhaust off the desk into free space, instead of into a corner or wall behind the laptop where the hot air will pool and reflect back under the laptop to get sucked into the intake vents.

If your desk is up against a wall, pull it away an inch or two from the wall to allow air currents from lower cooler air to push up the hot air exhaust if you can't vent into free space.

If you have a desk fan, point it across the laptop diagonally to create an air flow over and under the laptop enhancing the venting of hot exhaust as well.

2. Seltz08

Seltz08 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Ya so typically, and Ive done this with my MSI's as well, I only put the back on the 1/2" stands. I'm probably 4" off a back wall on either machine.. Im def in line to do get a base fan set up for either. I Have contemplated a new Monitor setup, like a triple, that I could use one for a laptop stand. I'm being picky about this idea as I'd like to find a laptop stand that wouldn't impede the airflow underneath or I could possibly mount a fan to as well..

I need to upgrade my keyboard status as well, especially running two laptops, My logitech flow just decided to quit connecting to both my computers so Im having to manually switch on my MX Master 2 mouse.. I will likely buy a logitech Craft if I can get the bugs with flow ironed out. I have a K350 but i think my unified dongle took a hit when traveling recently...

IDK maybe the stars are aligning to do some ergonomic upgrades. I will be upgrading to windows 10 pro for work stations in the next week or two, its actually a gift from my parents they let me pick... like 'yaaaaa how about just a $300 software and Ill be plenty content' lol

hmscott likes this.
  3. Erik C. Stubblebine

Erik C. Stubblebine Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    You could try this. It worked beautifully for me with an older, hotter laptop. 1st, get an old, fairly deep, metal broiler pan, insert two 'blue ice' bricks side by side, then but the broiler pan cover on. set laptop on top and temps drop like 8c. it really works.

hmscott likes this.
  4. Erik C. Stubblebine

Erik C. Stubblebine Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    thx. Did the dual channel RAM make a difference - at the same speed - as our single channel? If 2400 is the fastest RAM we can run, then buying an addition 16GB stick makes the most sense. With 32 GBs I'll then adopt StoreMI with RAM cache.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
  5. Seltz08

Reputations:
    In complete Honesty, Im not sure what performance improvement I have seen, if any. I will say my 2400mhz scale on the ROG center is no longer maxed... maybe this is hinting for some overclock headroom? But ultimately I just needed more ram per one of my programs that utilizes the space on occasion.

Yaaaaa... that's not happening at my office LOL I'll come up with something.. Im leaning into what liquid metal has the potential of in my application. I needed to take a step back when I contemplated drilling a 4" hole in my office desk to mount a fan to! lol!

I've kinda considered developing a water cooling system. Mini Pump, and I can 3d metal print a new heat sync but Im not that into the idea to move on it honestly

hmscott likes this.
  6. hmscott

Reputations:
    Sweet, yup, Linus did something like that - except with direct water to case heat transfer - to try to cool a Macbook enough to stop thermal throttling:

Water Cooling the Macbook 2015 - Increased performance or dead Macbook!?

When I wrote the last post I was also thinking of those fast defrosting trays that are like a giant heat plate for absorbing and dissipating heat. I've seen thicker heavier duty ones, but this might work too:

Upgraded Defrosting Tray, Gigabit Thawing Plate Defrosting Board Quick Defrost Meat or Cooling Coffee Kitchen Cooling Tools Without Electricity, Microwave, Frozen Foods Quickly Health Thawing Plate
    https://www.amazon.com/Defrosting-Gigabit-Thawing-Electricity-Microwave/dp/B0792X46F3/ref=sr_1_4_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1531265510&sr=8-4-spons&keywords=cooling+tray&th=1

And, then there are the clip on powered exhaust assist fans, which I used for years - no need recently, but one on each side could help assist enough to make it worth while. There are a number of makes, styles, and sizes that can be made to fit your need, I've used Opolar before:

Beast cooling solution for your gaming laptop? - Opolar LC05 Laptop Cooler Review

7. Seltz08

Reputations:
    I don't think anyone is sticking their machines in a tray of water, however a aluminum heat sync base plate that is either filled with a coolant or circulating fluid could be a great idea as a passive cooling solution.
    The sucker exhaust fans... We fall on the short end of that stick being a thick laptop and no side venting..

The only other area of improvement I could creatively consider is to actually add more intake ventilation on the bottom case cover. Looking at all other notebooks, theirs a lot of potential for air to come in, I feel it's very minimal with the 702. This is why I believe the preferred method at this point is to add a base fan pad...

One Amazon reviewer as well as myself added tape between the fan and radiator to prevent direct recirculating heat.

Give it a few more months and I might build a die that I could heat and burn a new set of holes through the cover.

My goal at this point is to stay sub 70-75 on auto. I'm primarily fan boosting 20-50% to achieve that currently.

hmscott likes this.
  8. hmscott

Reputations:
    Yeah, sometimes a cooling pad added air flow helps, but usually the main part of the benefit is raising the rear higher than the front for convective cooling, and decoupling the desk from the laptop heat exchange.

The fan helps most to cool the case so if you have an external metal case that conducts well it can pull down the internal temperatures a bit too.

Usually the air volume from the laptop stand is too low to push more air into the vents - it takes quite a bit of pressure to overcome the "back pressure" and get more air into the interior of the laptop.

This one works well for me, and I keep it near maximum vertical position, with external keyboard / trackpad - wireless. It also helps reduce the space taken up by the laptop on the desk.

Cooler Master NotePal Ergostand III
    http://www.coolermaster.com/mobile/notepal-all-notepals/ergostand-III/
    https://www.amazon.com/COOLER-MASTER-NOTEPAL-ERGOSTAND-FAN-SPEED/dp/B00PC2X1WU
    https://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-NotePal-ErgoStand-III/dp/B00MY3S2OM
    40_Product_Ergostand-III-product-page-02.jpg
    26_Product_Ergostand-III-product-page-03.jpg
    3_Product_Ergostand-III-product-page-04.jpg

9. Seltz08

Reputations:
    How about an exhaust vent? change the direction of the air instead of your computer... Just CAD'd these up myself. I can send ya the file if you have a printer...

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2998838

Attached Files:

10. hmscott

Reputations:
    If there were room behind the laptop you could put a deflective object on edge angled to redirect the exhaust air to the sides - but if you only have 4 inches between the laptop exhaust and the wall, these redirect vents would be a good alternative, but one that needs tuning for optimal results.

The problem with the exhaust redirects is the addedpressure that the exhaust fan would have to push the air vertical, transitioning in a short space as the hot exhaust exits the laptop.

I am not sure if a longer straight section would help or not, making the exhaust vent redirect flare wider as soon as it leaves the narrow exhaust might help reduce the added pressure against the exhaust fans, tuning this can help it work optimally. Reducing the back pressure while still accomplishing the redirect of the air vertically - or maybe redirec to the sides instead to avoid the exhaust falling back onto the laptop - at low fan speeds the vertical redirect might only serve to stack the hot air behind the laptop.

I've used books and cut sheets of wood to split the exhaust air to the sides before when stuck against a wall, perhaps look around for a way to do that, using the existing exhaust venting.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018