Asus ROG GL702ZC owners lounge

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by Deks, Oct 16, 2017.

1. Caretaker01

Caretaker01 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    You will have to prioritize one of them (either games or video production) if these are your options. The clevo notebook has a better gpu for game's, not by much but nvidias driver's are more catered towards game optimization, where as AMD's cover a wider range of uses not focusing on one in particular.
    On the video creation part the it mostly depends on the software that you will be using. If you use a cpu based or cpu+gpu accelerated program then currently there's no laptop that beats this one with ryzen 1700 in terms of rendering speed and export. However if you are using a gpu accelerated program, that doesn't take advantage of OpenCL and is focused on cuda then you best bet is Clevo.

Sent from my MI 5s Plus using Tapatalk

2. mhdvt

mhdvt Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Depends on your use case. I use alternative platforms to Windows (i.e Linux etc) and open source driver support is a key thing for me, so AMD GPU over NVIDIA is a god send. I compile a lot of code, do virtualization, and so on, so higher core count is key. As far as single core clock speed matters, no game (one of the few remaining single core stressing programs these days) is going to bottleneck your CPU. I play modern games on high / ultra settings and rarely get above 50% CPU utilization. And as has been mentioned, AMD GPU's support OpenCL, and on Linux they have ROCM, for combining CPU and GPU compute for machine learning, mining, bruteforcing, whatever...

Intel machine will be stuck on that coffee lake platform, whereas AMD will support AM4 through to the 7nm zen2. Whether or not ASUS release a bios with support is another story - although - myself and others are working on modding the existing bios 303, just like I done for virtualization support pre 303. It should be possible - I've currently slipstreamed updated microcod and AGESA files into 303, flashed it to the machine, and it seems to be working, though I've not had enough free time to stress test it. And I also need to get a Ryzen 7 2700 to test with.

On another note re: GPU , I've been playing with clock speeds and voltages. Does anyone have much information about improving/over clocking the desktop RX 580 and I'll try improve this further?

I'll probably start a gitlab page or something for proper discussion and input on this, and where we'd like to get the bios/feature set to.

Cheers

Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
  3. mcalago

mcalago Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    wow i wasnt expecting these really convincing comments about this laptop.Now I am all towards this laptop now but only gpu makes me thinking.Rx 580 with a 4GB Vram underclocked against gtx 1060 6 gb vram how much lose can it be.

4. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    In some DX11 titles, there's less than 5% difference between the two GPU's, in others, RX is better or equal. In DX12 titles, performance is either on par or higher for RX 580.
    Don't let the RAM quantity fool you. It won't impact performance in significant (or any) capacity.

5. mcalago

mcalago Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I understand thank you so much. So as my last question if i buy this laptop and dont set any undervolts would temperatures go over 90 degrees? I always play at low settings and 1080p 60 fps, so smooth framerates at 1080p is important for me dont care about graphics. Sorry to bother you.

6. Caretaker01

Reputations:
    CPU maxes out at 95 degrees on really hardcore long term rendering tasks (4 hour's +) with fans at low speeds (meaning at default, boosting them by 20% with asus software will drop max temp to 75), and won't thermal throttle keeping 8 cores at 3.2 GHz, where the gpu will run between 75 and 90 degrees. All of these numbers are my own experience and they are without any kind of tampering with voltages and clock speeds.
    I'm not a serious gamer, I play once or twice per month, my main use is 3d architecture and 3d design work with V-Ray rendering and Gimp usage.

Sent from my MI 5s Plus using Tapatalk

hmscott likes this.
  7. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    You can easily play most games at 1080p and High settings on GL702ZC which should produce 60 FPS even in demanding games.
    You can also set Frame Rate Target Control to 60FPS in Radeon Software (drivers) to prevent the GPU from using needless resources (because the refresh rate of the laptop screen is 60Hz, displaying more frames than that is useless and results in 'wasted frames').

Additionally, you can undervolt the GPU using MSI Afterburner to reduce the thermals on the GPU to improve its efficiency. My stable undervolt on it is -93mV on the core - so that way, the fans don't get too loud (if you want to game without headphones).

hmscott likes this.
  8. mcalago

mcalago Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Thank you so much for you answers.I'm really really interested in this laptop now. Not too many gameplays on youtube , i had to ask.

hmscott likes this.
  9. Snappy_Darko

Snappy_Darko Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have a few question about this model, would really appreciate your thoughts..

1) Is it possible to mod (replace) the screen with a better one? One thing that's holding me back from getting this is the poor SRGB rating - 83% SRGB notebookcheck has it at. Perhaps I could source another 17.3 screen and install it (id void the warranty of course)

2) The other thing is 'frying' the mobo. There were about 10 pages in this thread trying to decipher what had caused the laptop to die and I can't see if the issue was ever diagnosed correctly - any ideas what caused this?

3) Heatpipes. There were pictures back in this thread of 2 configurations of heatpipes - I believe one prior to getting an RMA and the other config after. The one post-RMA had the heatpipes shifted so that RAM was more easily accessible. Does anyone know if they are manufacturing these models with the heatpipe adjustments? - should I be looking for any dates of manufacture to ensure I get the latest heatpipe config?

4) RAM. It looks like people are have had success wth installed faster ram - what's the fastest RAM that safe/worthwhile to buy for this laptop?

That's about it. Other than being able to possible upgrade the CPU in the future (which seems to largely depend on this community pushing Asus to include a BIOS update for this, or even people here modding BIOS's themselves), this laptop looks pretty solid and has pulled me away from thinking seriously about purchasing an 8750h laptop for price/performance.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
  10. Caretaker01

Reputations:
    1. screen change.... i quess its posible but unlikely, and not worth it, there is no other variation of this dysplay other then the 144 refresh rate one that Asus never delivered. And going for a shady third party one on Aliexpres or such sellers may result in waste of money and time. Giving that you require better SRGB coverage its more usefull to buy a 4K external monitor factory callibrated to your needs. Im quessing you are going to run video or photo creation softwares on it wich will bouth take advantage of a higher res monitor with better calibration (+ this GPU can easly handle a 4K monitor)

3. What you saw in terms of cooling every ryzen 1700 based version of this laptop has the heatpipes running over the ram sticks. The other one is the cooling design for the ryzen 1600 one. There are a few members who claim that returning the 1700 laptop will result in a complete change of the heatpipes to match the 1600 one, but the jurry is out on that one. No real confirmation (although its posible).

4. fastest ram is 2666, some have had succes with higher frequency ones and reported that the ram stick operate at 2666. maybe a BIOS update or a cpu upgrade could change that (dont hold your breath)

2. To be continued...... no ofiicial problem reported its just a matter of how well your machine was put toghether and mandatory is buying this laptop with warranty.

hmscott likes this.