Asus ROG GL702ZC owners lounge

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Deks, Oct 16, 2017.

1. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    First of all your "emails" (tickets?) to them are too long, and you mixed in too many unrelated questions together. :)

You have to remember that English isn't always their first language, and even if it is, the statements are too long.

They have to read lots of emails every day and answer them, so if you can separate the topics, even if you just save them for future replies, you will get more favorable replies - IDK if it would change their reply, but I have always gotten the go ahead from Asus to re-paste and / or replace storage / ram.

I would try again. Maybe something like this.

"Hi, I need to add RAM, M.2 storage, and replace my 2.5" HDD with an SSD.

To get inside the laptop (model number here) I need to break the seal over the screw holding the back cover on the laptop. There are no easy access doors over the RAM or storage areas (if that is true).

Can I please do that without voiding the warranty?"

Then after you get the ok for that. Wait a few days, or at least 12 hours - so you get a new shift of front line support people. Put the 2nd question in a new ticket - important so you can track them separately.

"Hi, I am an enthusiast and usually re-paste my laptop's with better thermal paste and thermal pads. I love my new laptop but it's running hotter than I'd like to run it.

Can I please re-paste my laptop CPU and GPU without voiding my warranty? I promise to be very careful, and not cause internal damage while doing the re-pasting.

Thank you!"

Then after you get the positive response, open a new ticket and ask about the thermal paste specifics, include the previous ticket reference number for the re-pasting ticket request.

"Hi again, I'd like to use a thermal paste that gives the best performance.

Right now the best standard thermal paste is "Liquid Metal" paste.

These LM pastes provide the best cooling, and although they are conductive / corrosive and can damage laptop components if used incorrectly, I have experience with them and won't damage the laptop.

If I do damage the laptop I take responsibility for the cost of repairs, but I would still like Asus to cover other unrelated component failures via my warranty.

Is it ok if I take responsibility for the use of LM paste, and still get my Asus warranty over the other potential failures unrelated to use of LM paste?"

It's easy to get verbose, especially in response, so be conservative and focused in your replies.

You can start over with a new ticket, in the same manner as above. You've already gotten permission to change memory and storage, through the easy access covers, so that's why I made the above suggested ticket text with specific mention of the fact there are no easy access covers.

Good Luck :)

Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
    saturnotaku likes this.
  2. Deks

Deks Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I included a snapshot of my laptop in the post you quoted and I included this picture in the e-mail I sent.
    You can see yourself that there are no visible 'easy access covers'.

On the subject that english is not their first language... nor is it mine, though I have little to no issues with it (then again I'm also writing my own sci-fi novel in english, so, not exactly the same thing).
    Still, I can understand that covering several seemingly unrelated topics in one email can be perceived as a bit much.
    I like to explain things in detail to avoid misunderstandings, assumptions (or people pulling at straws), plus use just 1 email to get it done in one go...

But I shall follow up on your advice when it comes to asking them shorter questions as you suggested (actually, I might just copy/paste what you wrote directly) and in separate tickets for each topic (waiting around a day or 12 hours between shift changes).
    I might get a more favorable reply...

Papusan and hmscott like this.
  3. Papusan

Papusan BGABOOKS = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    Isn’t 95C max working temperature for Ryzen?:rolleyes: This is worse than Dellienware. They put max temp limits at 93C now (100c was the norm before). What a joke.

4. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    That's the problem with some of these laptops, you can barely do anything to them without voiding the warranty! If I ever buy a laptop again I'd probably get something like the Tornado F5 which allows for user tinkering without breaking warranties.

hmscott likes this.
  5. xsais

xsais Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Would you recommend this laptop?

6. Deks

Deks Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Has excellent CPU performance for productivity work on the go and a practically mid-range desktop class graphics GPU (more than capable of driving most if not all games at 1080p at 60 FPS under FreeSync - and if some titles are more demanding, then just drop the quality from 'Ultra' to 'High'... that will more than make up the difference without actually sacrificing any quality that one could see as relevant because of minimal to very hard to notice differences between High and Ultra in the first place).

It really depends on what you want to use the laptop for.
    If its more for gaming, then you might want to get a version of this laptop with Ryzen 1600 instead while still having large productivity capability... if anything, the version with 1600 will be cheaper... but it also comes will less RAM.
    Bear in mind you'll need to increase the RAM yourself to gain dual-channel and improve general performance any way you slice it.

The upcoming Raven Ridge laptops with Ryzen APU that has 4 cores and 8 threads along with Vega igp (comparable to desktop GT 1030 apparently in performance) seems like a more viable choice for people who want some productivity and light gaming - I wouldn't expect of the GPU to be able to game spectacularly, but it will probably do the work nicely in a much smaller TDP envelope, and of course you gain a lot more in portability and battery life) - and unless that APU comes soldered, you will likely be able to upgrade it as well to future versions of Ryzen APU's based on Ryzen 2 and 3 and probably Navi igp.

Again, your choice.

I find the GL702ZC very capable... it DOES require a 'personal touch' but that's just me.

hmscott likes this.
  7. xsais

Reputations:
    Thanks for the advice. Hopefully, when it's available in the US all the issues are solved.

How long is the charging cable? from what I have seen in pictures it looks pretty short.

hmscott likes this.
  8. Deks

Deks Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Charging cable isn't exactly what I would call too long , and the power brick is quite big/heavy... however, when you combine it with the laptop, it's no heavier than about 2.5 kg... less than 3 kg in total (which is no heavier than my old Acer 5930G with a power brick... and that laptop is/was far less powerful).
    Otherwise, the charging cable is long enough. Don't know how long you need it to be though (could you be more specific)?

As far as I know, there aren't any 'issues' per say... this is how the laptop is generally constructed and operates.

The thing I mentioned earlier about re-pasting and such to Asus and cooling in general was simply a reflection on how high the temps go when you stress test the CPU and GPU to the maximum in artificial benchmarks (88 degrees C)... the temps do stay lower than 80 degrees celsius under varying loads (CPU and GPU)... in the range of about 75 degrees C.

Plus, this mobile RX 580 can be set to use Radeon Chill feature from within the drivers and limit the FPS to 60 (which would bring down power consumption and remove wasted frames which the LCD panel is unable to display since its limited to a refresh rate of 60Hz... otherwise, FreeSync works really well with that and gaming at 60 FPS on ultra/high settings is more than enjoyable - unless you plan on connecting the laptop to an external monitor to game at 2k, but in that case, you will have a harder time hitting 60FPS at that resolution... maybe with 'high' settings (but that's a big 'maybe' and it also depends on how well the game is optimized).

hmscott likes this.
  9. xsais

Reputations:
    Since I have to keep the laptop plugged in most of the time, a long power cable would be useful if I am not directly by an outlet. My current power cable is about 10.5 feet, so if it's about the same length it would be ok

hmscott likes this.
  10. Deks

Deks Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    This one is about 10.3 feet (approximately). I measured it crudely, so I could be off by a small amount... but in that ballpark.

hmscott likes this.