Asus ROG GL702ZC owners lounge

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Deks, Oct 16, 2017.

1. meteeusz

meteeusz Newbie

Reputations:
    Yeah... one month without laptop... nice... I'm wondering how long does it take in Poland to repair it... warranty says up to 45 days for repair!
    I'm glad that they agree to take HDD off and do data backup on my own. I called them today and ask about it because warranty says that i can't do that.

Do they replace whole cooling system to "new type" with new board? Or just replace mainboard and left old cooling system?

If they did not replace cooling system in mine, it will probably burn couple more times on warranty period ;). I dont want to do ANY modifications (undervolting etc.).
    Actually when it will happen again it will be evidence of mass hidden defect.

2. terexo

terexo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I figure it out by myself with very helpfull advices of Deks on previous pages (thank you!)

Firstly I tested latest MSI Afterburner tool with settings adviced by Deks:
    -93mV on Core Voltage

Then I tested latest AMD Ryzen Master tool with settings also adviced by Deks:
    3.2-3.3 GhZ with CPU voltage 1.05V

This works fine for my laptop too. But I'm not planning to use this tools for now.
    Except the advice by Deks to undervolt GPU before starting some heavy games.
    I think it's good for prevention (but not necessary?).

Then I checked my drivers and realize that I have old chipset drivers.
    For some reason latest chipset drivers (18.10.0418) even don't want to execute.
    So I go for 18.10b (18.10.0312) and it installed well.

Now my temps on idle/copying/browsing is 48-55c for CPU and 45-50c for GPU.
    Without fan boost and any tools/undervolting.
    Outside is 23-25c so I think it's a pretty Ok.

I will try to find out how to install newest one (7-Zip can't even unpack/read it).
    Maybe find some unpacked drivers. Very thanks to Deks!

P.S.
    Why when I try stress test with AIDA64 fans just don't starting? It goest to 90c and they still 2200... o_O Is it game center and auto fan?

Last edited: May 17, 2018 at 2:22 PM
    hmscott likes this.
  3. Deks

Deks Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    To be honest, I don't know.
    I never opened my GL702ZC when I first got it in October last year... so I don't know if the cooling assembly was altered or not (it is possible that it was, but Asus only said they replaced the motherboard).
    When I opened the laptop after the RMA to install another 16GB RAM (and gain dual channel along with 32GB RAM in total), I noticed the cooling assembly had a heat pipe running above RAM slots, which made it very difficult to upgrade the RAM (so I had to remove the cooling assembly to install the second stick).

Now, whether my laptop didn't have that heat pipe running above the RAM slots is anyone's guess (as I said, I hadn't opened the laptop when I first got it/prior to RMA-ing it), so I cannot say whether changing the cooling assembly to just include that 1 heatpipe running across the RAM slots would make any difference).
    But I also know that initially, the GL702ZC was being sold with a cooling assembly that had a heatpipe running atop the RAM, and another design that didn't have that heatpipe - though, I'm puzzled as to whether this would have made any difference.

Nothing like that problem happened for me after the RMA, but admittedly I hadn't been pushing the laptop as hard as possible since then, and I usually keep it undervolted when doing stressful things.

I tried explaining the cooling issue to Asus, but I think they simply made a 'passing acknowledgment' to get rid of me.
    If it happens again, I might ask of Asus to give me a newer model if they make one because they are the ones that made a huge mess in creating an inadequate cooling system.

The GL702ZC has enormous amount of space in it... so Asus could have easily installed a proper cooling system with the same thickness to cool everything properly... heck, even the GPU could have been MXM.

hmscott likes this.
  4. meteeusz

meteeusz Newbie

Reputations:
    If you had problems with installing additional RAM - the cooling system is still "old type".
    New type has heat-pipe to B350 chipset for proper cooling.
    I check a lot of asus ROG laptops cooling systems on internet and they even made 3rd FAN for cooling chipset on some of them.

On GL702ZC motherboard there is also sign near B350 chipsec "FAN3" but there is no fan connector soldered.

BTW - B350 has 5,8W TDP so this little screwed metal plate is unadequate!
    It is even unbelievable for me to made so "simple" cooling system especially when there is a lot of free space near it!
    If you check photos of "old type" cooling system you will se that there is even milled space for this special heat-pipe on VRMs for B350 cooling.
    For me it is simple - they just made it chiper by this modification.

One more - you will probably not burn it with gaming or heavy cpu load.
    And there will be no defference if you undervolt CPU/GPU.
    B350 has its own power which you can't change.
    It is only for PCIe for NVME, SATA controller, USB controllers etc - so heavy long term I/O load should fry it. When you have IO load and no CPU or GPU load air flow is unadequate (no fans or very low fans speed).

I have second GL702ZC (we bought 2pcs for oure company) and second one is still working.

hmscott likes this.
  5. Deks

Deks Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    What would the new style cooling look like exactly?
    Do we have any photos of that system for GL702ZC?

EDIT: I know that the 1600 version has been sold without the extra heat pipe running above the RAM slots... but I didn't know Asus made changes to the 1700 version cooling assembly.
    If they have, what does that look like?

Btw... my GL702ZC fans broke (started working 100%) when I was playing Mass Effect Andromeda. To me, this indicates a cooling issue that was directly influenced by gaming, not the SATA or I/O load.

I can easily see the heat pipe going on top of the VRM's in my laptop's cooling assembly.
    Unless you're talking about something else.

Last edited: May 17, 2018 at 6:24 PM
    hmscott likes this.
  6. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Typically the chipset doesn't get a separate run / coverage into the heatpipe cooling, and cooling it depends on the draw of air over it being pulled in from the front of the laptop by the exhaust fans in the rear.

That arrangement also cools the storage - usually near the front so it gets the cool incoming air first, and then the air is drawn over the motherboard components that aren't connected via heatplate / heatpipe to the heat exchangers at the exhaust.

This small amount of air draw is enough for 2.5" HDD / SSD and the motherboard components like the motherboard chipset.

If as some are doing, you cut holes in front of the exhaust fans to "short-circuit" the air draw from front to rear - or reduce it greatly - you can cause heat stress to the motherboard components and storage higher than if they got that fresh cooling air draw over them.

For the hotter running controllers on M.2 SATA and more so for M.2 NVME, you need additional heatsink cooling or air draw in addition to that "passive" front to rear to cool it.

Same goes for hot running motherboard chipset's, there isn't enough air being drawn even when the full back pressure is being generated and pulling air front to back.

Off hand I think this is the first time I've seen the motherboard chipset included in it's own heatpipe add-on to the main cooling. :)

7. terexo

terexo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    If someone interesting, here's both versions of cooling system.
    The first one (I got this):
    [​IMG]

And the second:
    [​IMG]

hmscott and Caretaker01 like this.
  8. Caretaker01

Caretaker01 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Thx for sharing, they chose to correct the ease of upgradability to ram slots to my observations, otherwise they look like they would perform the same

Sent from my MI 5s Plus using Tapatalk

9. Deks

Deks Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Undervolting is recommended for lower fan noise when the GPU is stressed to the maximum, and it's always a good idea to reduce power consumption of the system on both the CPU and GPU as it will increase efficiency and make the components last longer.

Latest chipset drivers do seem crucial for better operations... but AMD should have segregated in the Installer to make it easier to select what exactly one is installing/updating (the GPU or chipset).
    Because, if you just want to update one of the two and download only GPU or chipset drivers, the installation usually says 18.4.1 presently installed and 18.10 local driver available (with the local being the only thing that you can actually install - for some people, this can be misleading).

The first picture shows the cooling assembly design usually shipping with Ryzen 1700.
    The second one is cooling design shipping with Ryzen 1600 (notice the lack of SSD) in it.

I can see that 1 heatpipe on the 1600 version (left side) extending to the chip which is on the motherboard (the one that has a metal bit on it and doesn't have the heat pipe in the 1700 version). What is that chip again?
    As for the VRM's... they do seem to be covered by the heatpipes on both systems.

The 1600 cooling does seem a bit better thought out in regards to RAM... but the 1800 cooling is lacking that 1 heatpipe going to the motherboard chip.
    Crucial/critical?

Last edited: May 18, 2018 at 9:25 AM
    hmscott likes this.
  10. Deks

Deks Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    *Deleted*

Double post

Last edited: May 18, 2018 at 7:10 AM