Asus ROG GL702ZC owners lounge

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by Deks, Oct 16, 2017.

1. Phoenix_IT

Phoenix_IT Newbie

Reputations:
  2. Caretaker01

Caretaker01 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Play around with MSI afterburner latest or beta version and you may achieve some lower temperatures, by undervolting
    Sent from my MI 5s Plus using Tapatalk

tkalfaoglu likes this.
  3. mhdvt

mhdvt Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Windows 7 works fine. I created my install media via MSI smart tool. No issues with booting, or in operation after install.

I can't comment for Windows, but I'm in the progress of getting OpenCL/ROCM working on Linux, will let you know how performance measures up.

4. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    For anyone who ordered this thing stock, how are the temperatures out of the box? Is it something that desperately needs re-pasted, or would an undervolt with standard paste be OK?

hmscott likes this.
  5. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Standard paste seems to work fine.
    Repasting apparently doesn't bring too low temps... maybe in the area of 3 degrees... possibly 5 deg C at most.

I'd sooner recommend undervolting both the CPU and GPU and only repaste after the warranty expired and the temps are rising.

Out of the box, temps are actually fine... about 43-46 deg C for CPU and GPU in standard Windows operations.
    Under stress, it depends... can be up to 88 degrees C for the GPU on full, and similar for the CPU.
    If you undervolt, you can drop temps by quite a bit... up to 10 degrees C for CPU and GPU independently.

Last edited: May 15, 2018
    tkalfaoglu, hmscott and saturnotaku like this.
  6. terexo

terexo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So for now I'd say I'm happy with my new laptop. Installed another 8gb stick and now it's 16gb dual mode 2400.
    It's was a little tricky with drivers for chipset and gpu but I did it. Still no Win7 for now, but I'll try another solutions)) Win 10 is ok.
    FreeSync is enabled, Ryzen Balanced installed manually. Mixed oem drivers from Asus website and newest drivers from manufacturers.
    Latest chipset drivers don't even want to start installing (some bug from AMD as I understand) so I manually installed OEM Asus drivers through the device manager and then installed gpu drivers etc.
    Personal advice - if you're using Win10 LTSB 2016 - install recommended drivers (18.2.1 in my case), not latest. Latest drivers works badly with this OS build (for ex. in two monitors mode).
    About temperatures. In short - I'm using ryzen balanced (don't understand exactly what's the point but just in case) with some personal settings.
    CPU min 90%, Max 100% (maybe it's good to set 99% but I don't), AMD Powerplay: max perf.
    In regular browsing, copying files, work with archives (casual, not stressing), music, videos; with torrents, vpn and messengers in the background my temps are:
    CPU ~60c; GPU ~55c (is it Ok?)
    With some more hard work (big archives, photo editing etc) it's about ~70c +-5. GPU ~same as casual

So here's my personal pros and cons for this laptop.

CONS:
    - Overall build quality could be better BUT it's Ok. I mean my old mid-ranger laptop (10 year old) was like a tank. But I think all new laptops goes with the same "cheap-like" quality. Maybe Alienwares is Ok but I don't use it.
    - Keyboard. But it's personal. My old laptop have keyboard like on Alienwares, also with more pushing depth.
    - No ODD. No slot for third HDD/M.2. They could do it. But they don't. For a workstation it's not good (yes it's a "gaming laptop").
    - HDD is warming a little bit higher that I prefer. On my old laptop it was 35-38 max. here is 43-45.

PROS:
    - Working power. Great CPU (even my 1600) with a very good GPU (all what I tested run's 60fps on max). But I'm not a hardcore gamer. It's a mini PC build, not a laptop I'd say. Workstation if you want.
    - 17' IPS display with FreeSync - really nice bonus. Yes it's 6 bit with a drawn 16m colors but it's really great. At home usually I'm using ext. monitor.
    - Easy to change thermal grease (as I seen) and cleaning all that stuff if needed (in future)
    - Sound is REALLY great. I mean I did not expect so good sound, bass etc (even without SonicStudio). Great little speakers!
    - Has all needed i/o - USB's, Type-C, DP, HDMI, CardReader
    - I like cooling system. It's doing it's job. Yes it's noisy some times (in stress work and games) but it's better then burned components (I know that).
    - You can play games between browsing and serious work : )
    - Price. It's strange but price for the power is great. +- same desktop build is about ~$200 less in my region.

Some questions:
    - what temperatures is ok? I can achive 43-46 only with 30% fan boost or even 50%. 25c outside (streets).
    - can you please one more time advice presets for undervolt cpu (ryzen master) and gpu (afterburner)? And do I need it?
    - maybe some advice for soft power configuration?

hmscott likes this.
  7. meteeusz

meteeusz Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello everyone,
    I bought GL702ZC R7 1700 version on March and I was really surprised its power (both cpu and gpu).
    On my previous notebook there was i7 3630qm+GT650M.

Unfortunately yesterday notebook just died...
    100% fan power, no manual fan control... seems familiar?

I just read couple topics, check cooling solution pics on internet and I have bad news my dear friends.

It looks like Asus made hudge mistake in cooling solution design... they forgot to cool B350 :). This plate-thing-cooler on early models isn't anough to cool it down.
    They made new thermal solution with heat-pipe to GPU radiator.
    I'm talking about this type where there are no heat-pipes above RAM slots.
    I checked over a dozen desktop atx boards witch B350 and there is large passive radiator on every single one of them! Not flat metal plate!

Unfortunatelly fan bug is only beggining of problems - i tried bios/uefi factory reset, windows restart, i've tried new ubuntu too.
    After 1 hour i decided to plug off "brick" and give it some time.
    After couple hours - fans are still at max, but.... there is nothing on LCD :).

I made RMA, they probably replace the board...
    Now i'm wondering if they replace cooler too.
    I don't want and don't have time to play around with service center any more.
    Do you guys can tell me about yours repairs? Is it working after repair and do they replace cooling system?

For me it is really strange that this happend when I was reading PDF datasheets, and had only libreoffice calc and some CAD software open... no load cpu and gpu, fans were quiet.

So, wish me luck with repair, and i wish you guys the same!
    It WILL happen to most of you!
    Just make sure it will happen on warranty peroid!

P.S.
    By the way now i'm forced to use my wife's Ryzen 5 2500U on Envy x360 and it's working great! Just because it IS WORKING! ;)

hmscott likes this.
  8. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:

Your problem sounds identical to what I had.
    I was playing Mass Effect Andromeda, when suddenly, fans started blowing at 100% and refused to cycle down after powering down the game.
    I shut off the laptop, and the moment I turned it on, fans just went straight to 100% and didn't cycle down.
    My GPU was functioning though...

I had to RMA the laptop. Waited about a month before getting it back, and Asus said they replaced the motherboard, but couldn't say what caused the problem.
    I told them that the problem is likely rooted in the inadequate cooling which might have caused a control circuit which regulates the fans to break down, or worse yet, the VRM's (voltage regulators on the motherboard).

Anyway, since I got the laptop back, I usually keep the thing undervolted on both the CPU and GPU when doing things on it that stress the hardware, such as playing games or using 3d Studio Max.

Asus really dropped the ball on cooling, and makes me wonder if the same problem will occur again down the line.

hmscott likes this.
  9. meteeusz

meteeusz Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yeah... one month without laptop... nice... I'm wondering how long does it take in Poland to repair it... warranty says up to 45 days for repair!
    I'm glad that they agree to take HDD off and do data backup on my own. I called them today and ask about it because warranty says that i can't do that.

Do they replace whole cooling system to "new type" with new board? Or just replace mainboard and left old cooling system?

If they did not replace cooling system in mine, it will probably burn couple more times on warranty period ;). I dont want to do ANY modifications (undervolting etc.).
    Actually when it will happen again it will be evidence of mass hidden defect.

10. terexo

terexo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I figure it out by myself with very helpfull advices of Deks on previous pages (thank you!)

Firstly I tested latest MSI Afterburner tool with settings adviced by Deks:
    -93mV on Core Voltage

Then I tested latest AMD Ryzen Master tool with settings also adviced by Deks:
    3.2-3.3 GhZ with CPU voltage 1.05V

This works fine for my laptop too. But I'm not planning to use this tools for now.
    Except the advice by Deks to undervolt GPU before starting some heavy games.
    I think it's good for prevention (but not necessary?).

Then I checked my drivers and realize that I have old chipset drivers.
    For some reason latest chipset drivers (18.10.0418) even don't want to execute.
    So I go for 18.10b (18.10.0312) and it installed well.

Now my temps on idle/copying/browsing is 48-55c for CPU and 45-50c for GPU.
    Without fan boost and any tools/undervolting.
    Outside is 23-25c so I think it's a pretty Ok.

I will try to find out how to install newest one (7-Zip can't even unpack/read it).
    Maybe find some unpacked drivers. Very thanks to Deks!

P.S.
    Why when I try stress test with AIDA64 fans just don't starting? It goest to 90c and they still 2200... o_O Is it game center and auto fan?

Last edited: May 17, 2018
    hmscott likes this.