Asus ROG GL702ZC owners lounge

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Deks, Oct 16, 2017.

1. tweake628

tweake628 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    ahhhh dam ok that's kinda what i figured .thanks a lot for the speedy reply

hmscott likes this.
  2. terexo

terexo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello again guys. Got another 8gb ram stick. Now it's 16gb dual channel. But when I installed it I noticed something. Is it ok that thermal grease is a little came out by sides of all that cooling system (it's where socket for ex.) It's not on motherboard but I can see some of it came out.
    Do I need to clean it or leave it like that?

ALSO: Can you advice some tool or anything to boot up Win 7 installation. I integrated all needed drivers (usb 3, nvme etc) but it's stuck on Win 7 "Starting windows" installation and that's it. Do someone installed Win 7 successfully?

hmscott likes this.
  3. Deks

Deks Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    As Caretaker01 mentioned, overclocking the RX580 in GL702ZC (at least on Windows) is not possible for now probably because the laptop's BIOS is locked.
    We either need to unlock the laptop's BIOS, or modify the existing video bios and then flash it back onto the GPU (though as you might imagine, hardware overclocking can be problematic, and flashing a vBIOS incorrectly could result in a non-functional GPU).
    I think the GPU was successfully overclocked on Linux using this laptop, but it needed a BIOS flash, etc.
    MSI Afterburner can also be used to undervolt the GPU (which to me is eminently more important) and lower the temperatures by about 10 degrees Celsius.

If the paste isn't producing any difficulties, leave it where it is right now. If something happens, you can always take the new RAM stick out, RMA the laptop and blame it on 'spontaneous hardware problem' (don't mention to Asus that you upgraded the RAM).

As for Windows 7... I wouldn't bother with it because it doesn't support some features that are needed by Ryzen CPU.
    You can always disable Windows 10 snooping as much as possible.
    There is no inherent advantage to having Win 7 anymore... unless you use legacy software that doesn't work on Win 10 (though, generally, if it works in Win 7, it should work in 10 too).

Last edited: May 13, 2018
  4. Phoenix_IT

Phoenix_IT Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey guys, finally I bought this beasty laptop.
    only one thing. i'm trying to download Ryzen Master for have a little downvolt of my cpu (gpu already undervolted by afterburner) but seems that AMD has unified Threadripper version with Ryzen version. Is there someone that has an old Ryzen Master Threadripper version and give me a link? I would be very grateful for your help :)

5. Deks

Deks Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    If AMD unified Ryzen Master, then it should work on GL702ZC.
    I downloaded that unified Ryzen Master and used it upgrade my existing version. Seems to work fine.
    Otherwise, I have the older Ryzen Master for Threadripper in my GL702ZC driver folder.
    I could send it to you via email or some other method.

Phoenix_IT likes this.
  6. Phoenix_IT

Phoenix_IT Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks Deks. If my daughter decide to sleep I will try this evening

Inviato dal mio ASUS_X00ID utilizzando Tapatalk

7. spencerj650

spencerj650 Newbie

Reputations:
    The latest Ryzen Master Utility works perfectly on my new GL702ZC.

Has anybody benchmarked their OpenCL performance? My 3d performance measures up like I would expect, but OpenCL is extremely disappointing.

Geekbench 4 I get just 33,000 using the latest drivers from Asus, and 66,000 using the latest drivers from AMD set to Compute mode. It seems nearly every other RX 580 gets around 120,000+ in this test. My GTX 1060 laptop that this was going to replace got 125,000.

Temps are good, and GPU-Z reports the core and memory frequencies are staying at 1077 and 2000 the whole time. I've run some other OpenCL benchmarks and they all show similar results.

Am I doing something wrong? Is this because it's a laptop chip and not a desktop 580?

8. genius89

genius89 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have such problems with my asus

9. Caretaker01

Caretaker01 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    This laptop has a desktop GPU witch has been undervolted and underclocked. To my knowledge there is no mobile laptop RX 580, however it was the choice Asus made to include a very powerful energy hungry desktop GPU in this laptop and in order to do so some tweaking was made. You can only further undervolt the GPU lowering you're temp's, but as of today there is no way to OC the GPU to match the desktop one (at least in Windows).
    And I'm not sure if this laptop would be a able to power up a full RX 580 and the ryzen Chip during heavy gameing and streaming and keep it cooled. It was just an ambitious project that had some compromises to fully load a desktop grade GPU

Sent from my MI 5s Plus using Tapatalk

Phoenix_IT likes this.
  10. spencerj650

spencerj650 Newbie

Reputations:
    Does your computer show similar deficiency in OpenCL? My GL702ZC matches the GTX 1060 in my other laptop in 3dMark Fire Strike within 5%. However, multiple OpenCL benchmarks show it performing anywhere from 30% to 60% of the performance of the GTX 1060.

I am quite aware of the thermal and power limitations of the computer that has resulted in certain compromises, but it seems that even with the lower clocks this graphics card should have significantly better OpenCL performance.