Asus ROG GL702ZC owners lounge

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by Deks, Oct 16, 2017.

1. Trander

Trander Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi there. I am currently running 3.2GHz @ 0.98125V (got this info here, Thanks btw). I want to customize different profiles for different use such as low clocks for working and for battery and high clocks for gaming. Can anyone provide a table for safe voltages for lets say 2.4GHz to 3.7GHz or even 4.0GHz(if possible). I don't know where to start regarding safe voltages for a particular frequency. I know each silicon varies and I can dial up the voltage and/or dial down the frequency if its unstable/crashing, but it would be nice for me and any n00bs to have a proven reference.

hmscott likes this.
  2. Caretaker01

Caretaker01 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Nope, no one can, overclocking and voltage tampering is entirely based on the silicon lottery method, as no chip is the same in the manufacturing process no one can assure you which voltage goes to which frequency.
    During the research and development process there will be some basic sets that work across all chips and those are all ready being handled and apllyed in all chips.
    The voltages and speeds mentioned here used for overclocking are hit or miss, there aren't too many variables and each user needs to determine them on their own

Sent from my MI 5s Plus using Tapatalk

3. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    That's why I use the "core offset" voltage adjustment, it works in negative and positive numbers, with current Kabylake/Coffeelake (before 6c/12t, so only 4c/8t) -100mV works for most as an undervolt, so it's a good starting place.

But, the range is from -15mV - -220mV, so if you got a poor undervolting CPU then -100mV will likely not be stable, even at stock speeds.

The lower you go in frequency on one or all cores from stock you can usually begin to undervolt more. And, as you OC past stock your stable undervolt will decrease.

Older CPU's undervolt less, with less range, but usually -75mV is ok as a starting place at stock speeds.

As long as you are undervolting your aren't going to damage the CPU, it's the overvolt that can be dangerous, so as you add voltage nearing max OC (for older CPU's, Kabylake I can undervolt even at 4.5ghz) use small increments. I had a +100mV overvolt on a Broadwell to reach 4.2ghz, it ran hot but I could benchmark. :)

Intel XTU has profiles to save and load that you can make for higher and lower clocks, or anything really - I have several for benchmark OC, daily OC, long batch job under-OC, etc.

Good luck :)

4. kinoble

kinoble Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey guys,

Hi to all.

I’ve just got one of these beasts, but it is the 6 core ryzen 1600 version.

Couple of questions:

I am on high performance battery mode as its used for gaming etc. Is that what you guys are on?

Secondly my temps are pretty high. I know its a desktop cpu and gpu but at IDLE my gpu is 64c (fan 19%) and cpu is 70c. Sometimes drops to mid 60’s.

That seems pretty high compared to what I have read. At load on Far Cry 5 gpu was around 85c and cpu hit 89c.

Thats pretty high but not unexpected from reviews. Its mainly the idle temps. The gpu is constant 1077mhz idling...

So yeah fans are on just watching or browsing.

Using latest drivers for gpu, and amd adrenaline software.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
  5. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Two things:
    Use AMD Ryzen Master utility to undervolt the CPU in creator tab.
    Use MSI Afterburner to undervolt the GPU to about -93mV on the core (so it should consume less power under load).

Also, in the GPU drivers, go to global settings and activate 'Power Efficiency' (that should prevent the GPU from spiraling upwards to maximum under regular loads).

But, seeing that your idle temps are ridiculously high (mine are 47 deg C for CPU and 43 deg C for GPU), perhaps something else is happening that might be resulting in that.

If this is how your laptop behaves from factory (since buying it), it might be a hardware problem, and you could ask for an exchange.

Alternatively, please check to ensure that nothing is taxing your CPU and GPU (such as runaway bitcoin code that might have been installed with software).
    Try restarting Windows and running the setup under Ryzen Balanced mode.

zdroj and hmscott like this.
  6. kinoble

kinoble Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

So I havnt tried undervolting and would prefer not to until Ive established what everyones baseline Idle temps are without an undervolt-yours above are with the undervolt?

I had already activated power efficiency but it only dropped a couple degrees, to around 59-60c idle gpu.

I have ‘balanced’ power mode which didnt seem to do anything but I don’t have the ‘Ryzen balanced’ like I do on my desktop..I forget how to get that. How do you get that?

It has latest bios (303) but I didnt install the latest/only chipset drivers because it came up with a ton of unusual options that looked like they would interfere with the gpu driver software/adrenaline.

No accidental miners installed, cpu load is very low almost all the time, same with gpu load even though its running at 1077mhz.

Can’t test until next week now but wondering if its simply a thermal paste issue-I won’t be doing anything with that and if so the laptop will go back-its brand new!

30mins prime it reached 95c on cpu which while uncomfortable is in line with some other reviewers. Obviously id prefer it lower but its the idle temps (and thus fans) that seem mad.

I may have been a bit harsh yesterday but idle temps are definately 65c on Cpu and 60-62 on gpu.

Running latest creators update 1709.

7. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    The baseline temperatures would not be affected by the undervolt, unless we manually modify individual P states, and Ryzen Master doesn't allow us to do this on GL702ZC. What we can affect with the undervolt are temperatures under maximum load (so for example, in Prime 95, instead of 95c on the CPU, you could get 85c or less - how low your CPU and GPU can undervolt depends on your silicon quality).

The temperatures I mentioned above: 47 deg C for CPU and 43 for GPU (during idling or basic tasks), are my regular ones with or without Ryzen Master utility running.

If you hadn't installed latest chipset drivers, I strongly suggest you do this.
    They shouldn't interfere with adrenaline (although you may need to re-install GPU drivers afterward).
    Just download the latest chipset drivers from AMD's website and pick express install for the chipset.
    Once you restart, check to see if your GPU drivers were affected (downgraded)... and if they were, just run the installation again, only this time, pick the latest GPU drivers, and again use 'Express' installation.

Alternatively, completely remove existing drivers from your system and do a clean chipset and driver install... though AMD's driver set allows for a clean install as well.
    You should be able to retain Freesync functionality though, and nothing like that should end up affected - mine certainly wasn't.

Check if you may have any needless software pre-installed... but there's a chance your older chipset drivers might be causing the problem... alongside the pre-installed Windows 10 (that thing is just bug riddled, and I fixed all of my issues with the system by doing a clean install - but if you do perform a clean Win 10 install, make sure to backup your existing OS state first just in case - and download needed drivers for this machine on the usb).

EDIT: you could also try running Malwarebytes free to see if you might have malicious code executing in the background (just to be sure).

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
    hmscott likes this.
  8. tkalfaoglu

tkalfaoglu Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    just make my laptop cooler and the laptop fan won't come on. see this forum for photos

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

9. kinoble

kinoble Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi,

Thanks for this.

So I have managed to have some time with the laptop, it ran much cooler when booted and left on idle but after some stress testing (only firestrike this time) it topped out at 83c on both cpu and gpu. Happy with that (well considering all things).

Installed latest chipset from AMD website which was 18.10b (?) What is your chipset version?

Anyway also using Ryzen balanced mode-are your idle temps given using this?

Anyway its a little cooler. 57-60cpu (after idling 20mins after benching) and 51c with gpu.

The temps measured using coretemp seem to spike briefly (they do on my desktop using ryzen master monitoring too) to about 61c every few seconds. If it wasnt got this, cpu would probably be 57c which is roughly in line with reviewers.

No malware or bloatware.

This laptop is so cool (ironic) but its making things difficult. Is there a factory reset from asus in bios? I do not have a memory stick on me right now.

hmscott likes this.
  10. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    How warm is it where you are?
    What's the environmental temperature?
    Bear in mind that in really warm climates, your ambient temperature could easily contribute towards higher idling temps... but they still seem a bit high.

My chipset version is 18.10b like yours, and my power profile is also set to AMD Ryzen Balanced.

As for the factory reset... there's no option for it in BIOS... you need to jump start the Asus recovery by using their utility:
    https://www.asus.com/uk/support/FAQ/1013001/#

Bear in mind though that Windows 10 Creator Fall upgrade broke my factory reset partition and made it inaccessible/useless.

I did a clean Windows 10 install and that solved my problems... the OEM Windows 10 install is just BUGGY.

I hypothesize that there might be several reasons for your higher idling temps:
    1. Higher ambient temperature
    2. Asus improperly applied their thermal paste
    3. Buggy OS install, or incorrect sensor readouts?
    4. You might be keeping the laptop on an uneven surface which could be reflecting the heat back to it and obstructs airflow.

What are you using to monitor the temperatures?
    I'm using ROG Gaming center and occasionally third party software (up to date - older versions of these programs had a problem and reported about 10c higher temps).