Asus ROG GL702ZC owners lounge

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by Deks, Oct 16, 2017.

1. tkalfaoglu

tkalfaoglu Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I didn't use any foam or anything.. Then again I used those metal films.. See my pics I posted earlier

2. mhdvt

mhdvt Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Even if ASUS don't release a new BIOS it isn't too difficult to slipstream updated microcode into the latest BIOS, which should theoretically allow CPU upgrade.

On another note, AMD wattman functionality now in the Linux kernel and from the brief interaction I've had with it, I'm happy so far. Thanks AMD for the wonderful open source drivers!

Kevin@GenTechPC and hmscott like this.
  3. InDevBrian

InDevBrian Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi, I just re-pasted but now my fans seem to be running backwards. Instead of bowing hot air out the back they're making two hot spots right where they are on the bottom of the laptop. Anyone know how to fix this.

4. Caretaker01

Caretaker01 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Is there a possibility you could have mounted the connecting wire to the motherboard in reverse?

Sent from my MI 5s Plus using Tapatalk

hmscott likes this.
  5. InDevBrian

InDevBrian Newbie

Reputations:
    That was my first thaught but when I checked they were put in place correctly

hmscott likes this.
  6. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    lol, there's a certain comedy in that situation! Ha, but no, if you've wired it all up in the same way & put it back to together the same way (not putting the fan upside down or something, but doubt it would even fit if you had), then it should still blow hot air out rather than suck it in. I would just double check you've put it all back together properly, including the wiring, and maybe check that your fan is actually spinning as the temperature increases (by looking at it or installing HWInfo and looking on the sensors page to see if fans are spinning). I suppose you've put your hand behind the laptop vents to confirm if air is coming out when doing something that gets the fans spinning - something CPU/GPU intensive.

Papusan likes this.
  7. InDevBrian

InDevBrian Newbie

Reputations:
    I realized there was something wrong once I put my hand behind. I've run benchmarks and the fans are spinning up louder than before because of the higher temps. I never unscrewed the fans so they can't be uspidedown, but if this photo is right then the cables are plugged in right https://www.ultrabookreview.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/internals.jpg

8. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Strange, I don't know what else to suggest. If the fans are spinning and you know for a fact that no air is coming out of the back, then perhaps airflow is blocked through the heatsink, something to do with how you put it together, but I can't imagine how that could be. And given that you said you connected the wiring up ok I can't imagine it running backwards, and normally the connections don't allow you to plug them in the wrong way anyway. I'm stumped! My last & final thought is that maybe your repaste didn't go well & you have poor contact between heatsink & chip which could explain a localised hot spot on the base of the laptop, and perhaps you can't feel the air coming out the back of the laptop because it's not hot air - but then again I think you'd feel the air regardless if it's hot or cold. Strange, strange problem.

9. InDevBrian

InDevBrian Newbie

Reputations:
    So all I did was take of the bottom panel and turn it back on, now it’s blowing in the right direction. I’ve started a stability test, and I’m about 16c lower than when it was blowing the wrong direction. I feel no heat radiating from the hotspots which tells me that they were blowing wrong direction before. I just have no idea why it’s normal without the bottom panel. Going to put it back on and hope it stays this way

hmscott likes this.
  10. tkalfaoglu

tkalfaoglu Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Could the fans be mounted upside down?