Asus ROG GL702ZC owners lounge

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by Deks, Oct 16, 2017.

1. fizikz

fizikz Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Maybe some electrical noise, i.e. "coil whine"? I hear it, and that would drive me insane.

2. woloss

woloss Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks, you described this sound much better :) So, seems it's not normal noise from this laptop, even fans at 100% more pleasant ear.
    Today I launched laptop, GPU failed at desktop (black screen, then fans goes to 100%, only holding power button may help). After that I launched it again and tried Cinebench R15 OpenGL once again, white screen, black, fans 100%, power button. Looks like faulty GPU.

3. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    From what you describe, it seems like a faulty unit indeed.
    Unless you wish to explore other options, I suggest you call the seller today, describe them these issues and ask for a replacement unit... though I might think they will just say you should turn to Asus directly for such problems.
    In that instance, don't ask them to repair the laptop, just describe the issues and request a replacement unit.

It seems odd that Asus would ship GL702ZC's with these faults... granted, mine had a similar failure with fans running at 100% a month after I got it, and someone else reported a GPU failure in that month too.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
    hmscott likes this.
  4. AngieAndretti

AngieAndretti Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Me neither, and I've spent some time looking. Please share if you find something you can purchase online that is compatible, as I'd be interested in having a spare too - even if it didn't provide the full 330w. Even just having something smallish that would drive the laptop for casual non-gaming use would add value to the machine for me.

5. AngieAndretti

Reputations:
    Yea, I hear it. It's an electronic component stress sound, like a type of coil whine. Mine makes somewhat similar sounds under load sometimes, BUT NEVER ANYTHING NEAR THIS LOUD! The fans must be silent with no real ambient noise present to hear the sound my unit sometimes makes. I would recommend sending your laptop back even if the only symptom you were experiencing were the sound in the video, because it indicates component(s) under a great deal of excessive stress. Throw in the crashing and I feel it's clearly a defective unit.

hmscott likes this.
  6. AngieAndretti

Reputations:
    Great procedure and pictures!

I can confirm that the "goop" can be replaced, if desired, with the K5 Pro thermal compound that was suggested to me earlier in this thread. Thanks again @hmscott - it worked great!!

I did try replacing the goop with common blue thermal pads first because it's cleaner but I just couldn't get the variations in gap thickness accommodated for perfectly enough. I was either running slightly too thin with 1mm pads everywhere, not making proper contact in some places, or slightly too thick with 1.5mm pads on the larger VRM gaps which then prevented the heatsink from seating flush on top of the CPU/GPU. I was able to get it "usable" with the pads in place but the thermals just weren't what they should have been - so I started over with my Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut on the CPU/GPU and K5 Pro as a replacement paste for all the other thick rubbery ASUS goop, and it's working really well!

My solution may not have the thermal conductivity of liquid metal but my thermals are better than stock and the machine is noticeably quieter while gaming. I'd recommend the Kryonaut/K5 Pro to anyone needing a safe and easy way to re-paste after removing the heatsink to upgrade RAM, etc.

hmscott likes this.
  7. fizikz

fizikz Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have not heard back from Asus, but I came across a plausible explanation for the battery capacity discrepancy:

For a given battery, the *discharge* capacity depends on the current. This is due to internal resistance, particularly ionic resistance, which includes several electrochemical factors intrinsic to the mechanism by which a battery delivers its stored energy. Internal resistance increases with current, meaning at higher currents, there are more internal losses resulting in a lower charge capacity available to an external load.

I don't know if this is the correct (or only) explanation for the discrepancy, but given the high power draw of this machine, it is plausible. IF this is correct, then there might not be a defect or error after all.

Deks and hmscott like this.
  8. woloss

woloss Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So, I got new one. Yeah, this sound exists under load, but way quieter. Maybe I did a mess before, I launched CB w/o admin privilegies, anyway, previous laptop had crashes at loading PUBG. 95 fps in CB OpenGL now, gonna download smth and try more.

hmscott likes this.
  9. Jim Beam

Jim Beam Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Does anyone think we will be seeing a Zen+ version of this laptop anytime soon?

10. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    From what we can tell, there is no real difference between the new generation motherboards and existing ones sans in BIOS microcode support.
    I'm hoping Asus will release the needed BIOS updates to support future/upcoming CPU's.