Asus ROG GL702ZC owners lounge

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by Deks, Oct 16, 2017.

1. AngieAndretti

AngieAndretti Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    It's been an exciting night guys!! :biggrin:

I swapped in my 2x Goldkey 8GB DDR4-2400 RAM sticks and re-pasted the entire cooling system with Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut paste.
    I used A LOT of the stuff too, OMG! I think next time I'll do thermal pads on the VRM's and VRAM instead because I used about three and a half of the 1-gram tubes on this project!
    For those who are curious, I'd say my thermals are running about 3 degrees Celsius below what I was getting with the stock paste.

But here's the exciting part: I was able to use Thaiphoon Burner to update the RAM timings to include a basic 1333MHz option (as in DDR4-2666) and it took effect like magic on reboot! I didn't even have to erase any stock timings to force the use of the new profile or anything funky like that. This implies that we could push further using this method with RAM that can handle the speed, as Ryzen reportedly has that sweet spot around DDR4-3000.

As promised, I also photographed the battery while the system was open and it actually has 76wh printed on the battery, not 74wh as I had stated; sry. It reports itself electronically as 74wh but it's physically stamped 76wh.

Oh, and given this success I think I'm going to hold off on the unlocked BIOS for now. I did actually put something together to test - a simple mod that's just set up to show every single menu/option available (regardless of whether they'll all work or not) but I'm nervous about trying to flash it right now. Maybe some day.....

Attached Files:

hmscott and fizikz like this.
  2. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    That's all awesome stuff including the RAM timings :)

I thought I'd mention that standard pastes won't work for bridging much of a physical gap - like where thermal pads were used before - and will dry out and pull apart - leaving the gap again.

And, since there aren't thermal probes there you won't know the VRM's / vRAM / component is overheating until they fail - burn out - so that's bad. :)

Thermal pads are best, but another thick paste was made to replace them, especially for larger gaps and variable gaps over a line of coverage. Also useful if you plan to be going in and out a lot where thermal pads will fall apart from wear quickly.

K5 Pro:
    http://www.computer-systems.gr/content/k5-pro

https://www.amazon.com/Computer-Sys...&field-lbr_brands_browse-bin=Computer-Systems

https://www.youtube.com/user/ComputerSystemsGR/videos

3. fizikz

fizikz Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    @AngieAndretti Have you quantified the difference due to the bump from 2400MHz to 2666MHz? And are the changes persistent and independent of OS?

For the battery, the values make sense and are within 3% of each other:
    4800 mAh (minimum) * 15.4 V = 73,920 mWh
    4940 mAh (typical) * 15.4 V = 76,076 mWh

Thanks for the screenshot and pic!

hmscott likes this.
  4. AngieAndretti

Reputations:
    Oh man!! Thank you so much, that's exactly what I needed! I recognized that my re-paste wasn't really "right" on all those thick gaps so I had ordered some various bulk thermal pads last night along with a new supply of Kryonaut to redo the project properly, but this K5 Pro looks exactly like what ASUS had originally used - and it'll conform to all the different heights and shapes perfectly!

So my new supplies should be here in about seven days to redo everything. Hopefully the Kryonaut will hold things together until then - but please tell me if you don't think so and I'll put this on a shelf and use my other laptop until supplies arrive. Thanks again! I did not know that I could buy this gummy paste anywhere.

Robbo99999 and hmscott like this.
  5. AngieAndretti

Reputations:
    Sorry I could have been more scientific about this in terms of benchmarking the RAM prior to swap. I can tell you this so much so far - there's only one game I play that fails to hit my desired framerate, BeamNG.Drive, and only then when playing on one map, East Coast I believe. A specific scenario that I remember running very consistently around 37fps ran at 48fps last night, and there were far fewer large latency spikes. On the downside, I have experienced a couple of hard system crashes that required holding down the power button to recover from - one while launching a game last night and one when resuming from S3 sleep when I first turned the unit on this morning. The first of those two actually came prior to overclocking the newly swapped-in RAM though. I did run a long RAM test with BurnInTest just now and no errors or crashes occurred.

I'm going to hold off on running any demanding full-system benchmarks for now, as @hmscott has made a very good point about regular thermal paste not being appropriate for the larger gaps above the VRM's and VRAM. If crashing repeats I may even shelf the whole system until I can do a better rework on last night's project.

hmscott likes this.
  6. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Yes, you're right, it was a mistake to use thermal paste on those places with the large gaps where the pads were used before. If your crashes only just started since you did the repasting I suggest you don't use your laptop again until you've put the pads back in - maybe the VRM's and/or VRAM is overheating & causing it to crash.

hmscott likes this.
  7. AngieAndretti

Reputations:
    Well the first crash occurred after only about fifteen minutes of use post-repaste, while launching a game. Then the machine ran fine for the rest of the night. The next morning it crashed immediately when I first opened the lid (never saw the login screen) so it didn't even have a chance to heat up that time - and again it ran fine for the rest of the day after that. It's really similar behavior to what I experienced previously when overclocking the CPU with just a hair too little voltage. I'm inclined to agree with you though and play it safe because although I originally bought this machine as an experiment, I miss it now which means I've come to like it and I'd be sad if it died! I'll be running the trusty Sager for a week instead.

Robbo99999 and hmscott like this.
  8. zdroj

zdroj Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hmmm...while I commend your efforts, and encourage you to continue in your efforts to unlock this laptop's potential, it has already been established that this rig will run 2666 RAM. In fact, HIDevolution offers 2666 as an option. So please...do push that RAM further when you take it back off the shelf!

hmscott and Deks like this.
  9. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but GL702ZC doesn't come standard with thermal pads from Asus itself (at least, mine did not)... custom made ones from HIDevolution though are offered with thermal pads.
    It has a relatively thick thermal paste which does seem efficient enough for everything... and re-pasting (as other people noted) didn't really bring more than about 3 degrees C reduction... which is why I'd probably leave the stock thermal paste as is and just undervolt the machine (as its bound to produce much better results).

For future internal cleaning and thermal paste replacement, I'd likely advise use of Ge-lid extreme on the CPU and GPU and thermal pads for VRM's and VRAM.

hmscott likes this.
  10. zdroj

zdroj Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Asked and answered, my friend: