Asus ROG GL702ZC owners lounge

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Deks, Oct 16, 2017.

1. tkalfaoglu

tkalfaoglu Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    did you enable the legacy boot option (can't remember it's acronym) and disabled secure boot in bios? it might help.

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

zdroj likes this.
  2. s3n

s3n Newbie

Reputations:
    Yes I had the same problem but I have managed it and everything works without any problem, so Windows and programs on the 960 M2 and everything else on the 850.

I did it like this:

- There is a option in the BIOS for Security (Press F7 for advanced). Go Security -> Secure Boot and switch the Secure Boot Option to disable.

- Next step, you have to go into the BIOS again to the section Boot and you have to enable CSM Support.

-> ONE of these two options requires a reboot after changing, but cannot remember which one

- Now you need to install Windows10 Pro at the M2 NVMe and do a reboot. If it not works, check the BIOS again for these option and also check the boot options.

This should allow you to see the M2 as a boot option, boot from the M2 and use your SSD for everything else.

Edit: @tkalfaoglu : you was faster :D

tkalfaoglu and zdroj like this.
  3. zdroj

zdroj Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks for the replies, I'll get on this post haste! Owning this computer has been a culture shock for me, in that I never dealt with a UEFI before. Where have all of the options that I came to know and love over the years gone?

EDIT: AHA! Who knew you had to...scroll... to see the security options? What manner of witchcraft is this???

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
    Deks likes this.
  4. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Yep, I'm sure it will lower your idle temperatures because as you say it pushes air through the laptop vents even at idle, but at load I'm wondering what the benefits really are, at idle it would lower laptop fan activation though which could be a positive.

5. guidevnet

guidevnet Newbie

Reputations:
    What are the specs of the RAM module that comes with the GL702ZC? I know that is a 16GB 2400MHz, but I want more detais like CAS latency, rank, manufacturer, etc. Thanks in advance

6. tkalfaoglu

tkalfaoglu Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Best place to find that information is crucial.com, i always use it, and then buy it locally, which is cheaper for me..

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

7. zdroj

zdroj Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Deks and hmscott like this.
  8. Technooby

Technooby Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    After reading through 49 pages of comments in the lounge I figure you guys might be able to help. Although it doesn't look like any of you have been using the Gl702zc for premiere pro.

Hey guys! I've been lurking around this website for years and have never actually posted anything before! For my first post I could really use the help of all you tech savvy great people.

I am about to purchase a new laptop and after months of consideration I believe the days gl702zc may be the best machine for me.

Here are my concerns:
    1. My primary use for this machine will be editing 4K footage in premiere pro. I have read that premiere runs better with CUDA supported GPUs. I have also read that OPENCL works just as well in real world editing and that's the only really important thing is to have a dedicated graphics card for GPU acceleration rather than relying on the CPU alone. This brings me to concern 2.

2. I have read that premiere pro since a recent update isn't working well with intel i7 cpus due to internal (switchable) graphics and premiere defaulting to the internal graphics/not using discrete graphics at all with no fix available. (This is a large part of my leaning toward the ryzen 1700) which brings me to

3. Premiere runs better with more cores/threads. I can't realistically buy a nice sager/clevo style laptop with desktop 8700k and I can't really wait until coffee lake mobile CPUs finally come out.

4. Not being the greatest with computers.. I'm concerned that this laptop not being a huge seller it won't get the bios support/updates it may need to work out issues with the "custom" GPU or any other bugs it may have (is this a dumb concern?)

Those are my main reasonings/concerns. Here are a few things about my use.

1. Video editing only, no gaming needed on this machine.

2. Loud fans don't bother me.

3. Battery life doesn't matter as everywhere I need to edit I'll have access to an outlet.

4. I understand the GPU in this laptop gets hot when gaming (CPU temps sound on par with intel in other machines) but I won't be gaming or pushing the GPU too hard and I'm willing to use a cooling pad during heavy editing. So this shouldn't be a big problem for me I assume?

Does anyone have real world experience editing video on the Gl702zc? Especially in premiere? Is there a better laptop out there for my needs? I'd really like to stick around 1500 but can spend up to 2000 if I absolutely must.

Thanks for anyone who read this huge post and for your help!

9. Caretaker01

Caretaker01 Notebook Guru

Reputations:

Check out from minute 3.40
    Best answer I can give you

Sent from my MI 5s Plus using Tapatalk

zdroj, hmscott and Technooby like this.
  10. Technooby

Technooby Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    WOW! So many hours reading and I hadn't checked out YouTube for a review at all. Not just speculation but actual real world use in premiere pro with comparisons! I couldn't be happier thank you so much for the link and taking the time to reply!

hmscott likes this.