Asus ROG GL702ZC owners lounge

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by Deks, Oct 16, 2017.

1. tkalfaoglu

tkalfaoglu Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks -- later on I did some sample test runs.. Unplugging while the battery is at 100%, and it survived very nicely.. No idea what it was that time, but it has not repeated itself..

2. tkalfaoglu

Reputations:
    Here is my laptop's battery status.. Indeed it's not "new".. Two days old laptop :)
    $ upower -i /org/freedesktop/UPower/devices/battery_BAT0
    native-path: BAT0
    vendor: ASUSTeK
    model: ASUS Battery
    power supply: yes
    updated: Sat 10 Mar 2018 09:58:07 PM +03 (112 seconds ago)
    has history: yes
    has statistics: yes
    battery
    present: yes
    rechargeable: yes
    state: discharging
    warning-level: none
    energy: 60.26 Wh
    energy-empty: 0 Wh
    energy-full: 61.615 Wh
    energy-full-design: 74.228 Wh
    energy-rate: 0 W
    voltage: 15.4 V
    percentage: 97%
    capacity: 83.0078%
    technology: lithium-ion
    icon-name: 'battery-full-symbolic'

3. fizikz

fizikz Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Great to see those details. Such a big difference between energy-full-design and energy-full is strange on a new laptop battery. For my previous Asus laptop it took probably over 2-3 years to get that kind of capacity drop.

4. tkalfaoglu

Reputations:
    I hacked my laptop cooler with window insulation foam all around. I highly recommend it, it pushes air into the laptop. I tested it after turning off the laptop, and hot air still comes from the rear vents of the laptop.. make sure that the cooler can deliver lots of air. more than the laptops own puny fans..

Attached Files:

zdroj and hmscott like this.
  5. tkalfaoglu

Reputations:
    Sorry if this is already resolved.. Laptop's hardware stays powered on even after we power it off. I found that some weird glitches can ONLY be fixed after unplugging the laptop AND unplugging its battery, and waiting 10 minutes.
    Good luck. I hope it works.

6. tkalfaoglu

Reputations:
    Today the battery issue happened again. Laptop's been off and unplugged all night (it was at 95% when I turned it off last night). When I turned it on this morning, it turned itself on, stayed on for several minutes, (Fedora linux appeared) and it turned itself off.
    Turning the laptop back on was not possible -- until I plugged it back in.
    After login, I found that the laptop was at 95% battery full. I will try the same test dual-booting to windows instead. Perhaps it's the linux that's causing it to power off.

7. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Did you do before and after testing during load (the same workload at the same room temperature)? How much difference in temperatures between with & without foam?

8. tkalfaoglu

Reputations:
    i didn't do any tests yet, but anything that helps the fan and quiets down the laptop is probably not all bad.. I will do some tests soon..

9. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    My issue was resolved by RMA-ing the unit. Asus simply replaced the motherboard... but never explained why the problem occurred in the first place.

zdroj and hmscott like this.
  10. zdroj

zdroj Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So...I have Win10Pro up and running on the 960, but it was a bit of a chore. For some reason, the NVMe does not show up as a boot option in the BIOS (ver. 303), so after the first time I installed Win10Pro on the 960 (from a USB stick) I discovered that I could not boot from it at all. I did notice that there was a bios option for adding a boot device, but I had no idea how to point it to my 960. Guess I've been spoiled by my Dell M6600, in that all I had to do was setup a boot order depending upon the devices/ports, and it booted from wherever I wanted it to.

So...I installed Win10Pro on the 850, and could boot from there, then reinstalled Win10Pro on the 960 such that a duel-boot configuration was created. I then deleted all partitions on the 850 to see if I would be able to boot from the 960 afterward, which resulted in an unmitigated failure.

So...I repeated the entire OS installation process I described above. Great, so now whenever I start up the machine I am given a choice as to which drive I want to boot from, despite the fact that the 960 still does not show as a boot device in the BIOS.

So...I have found a work-around, but it is not ideal. I don't want to have the 850 set up in this manner. I just want Win10Pro installed on the 960, and I want the 850 totally free to do with as I please.

So...I "know" this can be done - I just marvel at my own ineptitude in failing to figure out how to do it:wacko:. Any suggestions are very much appreciated.

Deks likes this.