Asus ROG GL702ZC owners lounge

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by Deks, Oct 16, 2017.

1. Erik C. Stubblebine

Erik C. Stubblebine Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I do not have the Radeon Chill option. How do I install it? I have the latest drivers.

hmscott likes this.
  2. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    At stock, my scores are the same.
    Looks like the CPU is already boosting to 3.17 GhZ on stock if Windows Performance Monitor is accurate (though I was under the impression the 1700 usually boosts to 3.0GhZ across all cores).

3.325GhZ at 1.05V (in Ryzen Master) registers in Performance Monitor as 3.3GhZ... and yields 1468 points in Cinebench - not sure if the Performance Monitor is reading things incorrectly though or applies some kind of offset I'm not familiar with that differs from Ryzen Master and CPU-Z (both of which will say 3325 MhZ).

Oh and, don't test Cinebench with Chrome open... it will lower the scores by about 200 points (something I discovered recently when I was testing/retesting with Chrome open in the background).

It's located under Gaming > Global Settings and reads as 'Chill' (simply switch it on and set Framerate Control to 60 - there's no need or point in having the GPU render more than that because the screen is limited to 60Hz... meaning, anything above 60FPS will be wasted frames and consume more power needlessly - also ensure to set up Gaming profiles with the same option and Freesync set to ON - besides, I think 60 FPS is more than pleasant/fluid).

P.S. Also activate 'Power Efficiency'... this seems to keep the GPU on minimal settings under regular functions (such as watching videos, etc.) - though for some reason, it switches off periodically and doesn't stay on (might be that it's reset after waking up the laptop from sleep or does that automatically when playing games, though waking the laptop from sleep seems like a more likely explanation).

P.P.S Might be worth retesting the battery life on GL702ZC with Power Efficiency switched 'on' in drivers, as the GPU would otherwise be used to the max more or less even when browsing or watching a movie and of course draw more power by default, even if the stress on GPU isn't high.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
  3. HardwareInside

HardwareInside Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi Deks,
    i will play BF1 and use my VR HTC on the laptop :)

Erik C. Stubblebine likes this.
  4. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    That's one field I wouldn't have much knowledge in.
    Someone apparently tested the rx580 on desktop vs 1060… and these are the results they got (though take them with a grain of salt) :

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/venturebeat.com/2017/08/07/why-i-love-the-radeon-rx-580-for-vr/amp/

Now, the RX 580 in GL702ZC is clocked 20% lower than it's desktop counterpart and is limited to 68w, so it will/should behave about 10% slower (which is not a great loss at all) and will give pretty much the same or better scores like mobile gtx 1060 6gb (limited to 80w).

Actually, running battlefield 1 in DX 12 should outperform the mobile gtx 1060.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
    hmscott and Erik C. Stubblebine like this.
  5. HardwareInside

HardwareInside Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you :)

Will run the AMD Ryzen 5 2400G on this Notebook?

hmscott likes this.
  6. Caretaker01

Caretaker01 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Maybe, it could but as of current BIOS version it's unlikely until ASUS cofirms with an update

Sent from my MI 5s Plus using Tapatalk

hmscott likes this.
  7. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    On the other hand, hmscott did mention something about the fundamental incompatibilty of GL702ZC and Ryzen APU's... because there would (apparently) be no way to output the IGP video to the laptop screen.

I'm not so sure if this is entirely the case though as the motherboard is B350 after all... modified for a laptop chassis though.
    I guess we will have to wait and see.

I don't think we would gain a lot in putting a much weaker APU as a replacement for 1700... unless AMD makes a Zen 2 1700 equivalent with much higher base clocks and of course an IGP - don't know really of their direction with Zen 2 architecture and if their CPU's will have an IGP by default or not.

The final word would be up to Asus for a BIOS update, because the current AGESA 1.0.0.7 does NOT appear to support Ryzen+ or any upcoming CPU's (makes sense, because AMD is likely to release new AGESA versions just prior to the release of their new CPU's for existing or new motherboards).

At the very least, we could request of Asus to include spectre patches for 1700 and give us the latest AGESA in the process (one that supports Zen+ and Zen2 and Zen 3).
    If you ask me, AMD's AGESA releases should be universally compatible for each motherboard and control CPU microcode support via chipset drivers installation (after all, a new BIOS can be flashed through Windows as well).

That way, we wouldn't have to rely on OEM's for future CPU support... and with specialized AI algorithms, the new AGESA could simply be adapted automatically to each motherboard via simple Windows flash utility that would use the algorithm to assess the existing BIOS and adapt the new AGESA to it.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
    xsais and hmscott like this.
  8. Erik C. Stubblebine

Erik C. Stubblebine Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thank you, thank you, thank you. Wonderful. I found the Chill. Unfortunately, now i'm having an issue with Origin. No Battlefield 1 until I get it sussed out.
    I too plan on playing BF1 and using my laptop for VR as well.

HardwareInside, hmscott and Deks like this.
  9. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    What kind of issues is Origin producing exactly?

10. xsais

xsais Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    How was the packaging of the laptop? is there any extra cushioning HID adds?

Last edited: Mar 4, 2018