Asus ROG GL702ZC owners lounge

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by Deks, Oct 16, 2017.

1. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I am happy sticking with the reality of what we have in front of us now, I don't need to posit what if's that don't exist.

If additional issues come up, then I'll deal with them. Like I've been doing on the internet since 1978.

You are skirting the problem, not facing it directly, and I understand, denial is a stage to go through.

It may take the realization that the new CPU's have the mitigations baked in the firmware, patches you can't not install, performance hits you can't disable.

You'll get there eventually. :)

2. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Then we will all be in the same boat and I will find something else to enjoy. No point in owning a belly-button CPU that sucks at overclocking for no reason other than it is "safer" based on an isolated definition of safety. I can experience the equivalent of watching paint dry for less money doing something else.

Donald@zTecpc, hmscott and Papusan like this.
  3. hmscott

Reputations:
    Yeah, well OC'ing is a thing, but it's not the only thing, and for most people it's not even of any interest to them, especially a laptop.

You could learn to use the computer for other things? They do lots of stuff besides benchmarking and OC'ing, really they do. :)

4. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    I think overclocking will be even more popular than people think. Almost all the notebook OEM's try to push you towards unlocked mobile. And more and more of them offer OC tool in their main software.

Ashtrix and Donald@zTecpc like this.
  5. Donald@zTecpc

Donald@zTecpc Company Representative

Reputations:
    Amen to that!

A more balanced, and realistic view of the situatioon.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
    Ashtrix, Mr. Fox and Papusan like this.
  6. Jim Beam

Jim Beam Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Interesting....

So the 8700 matches the Ryzen 1700 in encoding.......

here I go again....endless reading and research and paralysis on which laptop to buy. In the end there is still a big difference in pricing between laptop classes though.

When is the next coffee lake coming ? IIRC there was something about this coffee lake version being a stop gap measure until the next coffee lake CPU comes out and that the next coffee lake was the real deal compared to this one.....anyone know about that ( i read it somewhere but cant remember where I read that)

Donald@zTecpc and hmscott like this.
  7. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    I'm not sure, but I think its called Ice Lake (LGA). Coming this fall (late fall, I don't know). If you think about Coffee 6 core BGA... Maybe April or May.

Donald@zTecpc and Vasudev like this.
  8. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    If you plan to do any overclocking, 8700K beats it handily in most things with 2 cores less because Ryzen sucks at overclocking. So, if that matters there is nothing to stop and read about.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
    Donald@zTecpc and Papusan like this.
  9. hmscott

Reputations:
    Even though it's all irrelevant now that the Meltdown / Spectre has been found, and all Intel CPU's aren't worth buying - until Intel releases a new architecture CPU in a couple of years, I'll let you know what I heard...

The story boils down to: z370 6 core Kabylake-Coffeelake vs z390 8 core Coffeelake 2.

That's about it :)

The first z370 came out to support the Kabylake 7700K + 2 more Kabylake Cores to make a 6 core Kabylake, that Intel decided to call the "Coffee Lake" 8700K.

It's not really Coffee Lake. The original Coffee lake was due out late in 2018 before Intel needed to come out with a new name for the 6 core Kabylake.

Then we heard that the z390 was required to support 8 core, and that it was going to be the real Coffee Lake and come out at the end of 2018.

Then we heard that Intel was going to release 8 Core Z390 earlier, as early as 1H 2018, with February / March as the rumored release.

IDK how much of any of those rumors are true, except @Eurocom Support made posts about the 8 core Coffee Lake and Z390 that they would come out in late 2018 as a new Eurocom product.

Of note, it was made clear that the z370 CPU's won't work on z270, and z370 CPU's won't work on Z390, and Z390 CPU's aren't backwards compatible to z370 / z270.

I don't see much about the Z390 since November, when it was mentioned as sampling:

Intel’s Z390 Motherboards Start Showing Up – Will Support Coffee Lake-S (Up To 8 Core) Processors, Arrival Due in 1H 2018
    https://wccftech.com/intel-z390-motherboard-leak/

There were other outlets carrying the info too, but again it's all rumors.

Anyone have anything more recent / more solid as to the z390 / 8 Core "Coffee Lake"?

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
  10. Erik C. Stubblebine

Erik C. Stubblebine Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I just received my new Ryzen Strix laptop and I need to send it right back. Unfortunately, the left speaker is blown. A lot of nasty vibrations coming from the left side. If I put on earbuds it goes away. I was in the music business for years and the one thing I can not stand in bad/broken audio. So, now I'll probably have to wait another two weeks to finally enjoy my new computer. Other than the speaker situation, I really, really like this laptop.

hmscott likes this.