Asus ROG GL702ZC owners lounge

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by Deks, Oct 16, 2017.

1. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Exactly, the RX 580 is a "discrete" GPU, and it's video output is the only one available on the HDMI and DisplayPort ports on the GL702ZC.

If there were going to be APU support, there would be disctinctly seperate HDMI, DVI, VGA ports also available on the GL702ZC, and there are none.
    gl702zc left side ports.JPG
    A B350 chipset motherboard with video connectors routes the APU GPU video through them:
    LYcUUrAsqpAShVj9_setting_fff_1_90_end_500.jpg
    A discrete GPU PCIE card has it's own video output HDMI, DVI, DisplayPort, etc connectors on the PCIE card.

So there will be no APU GPU video output through the Asus GL702ZC as it is made today.
    The APU connectors on AMD motherboards have been this way for a long long time, they only support the IGP APU GPU. There is no "software" switching to direct APU GPU video out through the discrete GPU video ports, or to direct discrete video output through the B350 motherboard video outputs.

The GL702ZC was designed for RX580 discrete video output through it's video ports, so there is no way for APU GPU video to get out of the GL702ZC as made today.

Intel screws this all up by doing what you are suggesting routing all the video - discrete video and iGPU video through the iGPU to the internal display.

Even on Intel Optimus laptops the discrete video is what is pumped outside the laptop to external display's, there is no iGPU video output to external display's through the external video outputs. Very rarely there is one iGPU Optimus external video output, what a waste.

AMD was smart enough to avoid that mess.

The improvements will be in the new Ryzen+ CPU's, so you don't need to dream of cobbling together Ryzen APU's into the GL702ZC. :)

And, don't forget the Ryzen APU's have Thermal Interface Material under their Lid's, unlike the Ryzen, ThreadRipper, and Epyc CPU's which have soldered IHS "Lid's":

AMD confirms that Ryzen 2nd Generation will be soldered - Zen+ CPUs will not need to be delidded
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...ga-polaris-gpus.799348/page-408#post-10682997

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
    zdroj, sicily428 and Deks like this.
  2. xsais

xsais Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

hmscott likes this.
  3. Jim Beam

Jim Beam Notebook Guru

Reputations:

Agree with all of that. I would **MUCH** prefer TB3 but the only desktop CPU with more then 4 cores in a laptop with TB3 is the 6 core. For encoding the loss of 2 cores (8 vs 6) is a big deal.

So go with 6 core CPU and process less frames per second but get the data on and off the laptop far far quicker..... OR go with an 8 core CPU and process more frames per second but get the data off and on the laptop a good deal slower. At the end of the day it takes far longer to encode then to move the data off and on the laptop.

The P751 having more onboard storage is a huge plus. Having those 2 x NVMe slots is a big deal to get the fast I/O (Raid 0 setup) - but the storage does nothing for the actual processing - the encoding itself is CPU bound. Nothing beats more cores (up to a point)

I do get my use case is a *niche* but its real to me. At least there is USB 3.1 Gen 2 on the laptop. Not the best but it could be worse.

zdroj likes this.
  4. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    If you talk about Ryzen 7 1700 I can't see the 2 extra cores will do much more vs 2 core less from 8700K
    techpowerup.com/reviews/8700K - Core i7-8700K Reviewed by Lab501

5. zdroj

zdroj Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    For me, the reasons for my choice go deeper than just that...they go to the incredibly low ethical depths Intel has sunk to over a long, sustained period of time, as most recently represented by this:
    https://www.techpowerup.com/240283/intel-released-coffee-lake-knowing-it-was-vulnerable-to-spectre-and-meltdown

Papusan and hmscott like this.
  6. Erik C. Stubblebine

Erik C. Stubblebine Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    My new Strix GL702ZC arrives tomorrow. It will take several days of setting up, copying over files, downloading others. Windows update, etc. Anyway, could anyone give me some pointers. I read somewhere that only the Threadripper version of Ryzen Master works. Are there any other things I should know. Like, will it be capable of writing email and web browsing? Just kidding. I plan on using it for VR. To fight pain - I am very encouraged by the advances made in this area. I am disabled. I suffer from a very painful condition called Complex Regional Pain Syndrome, Type 2, Stage 4. My left arm/hand is now a useless, contorted, withered appendage that does nothing but hurt. I live in a 'stress-position' 24 hours a day. Anyway, I've found gaming to be a great way of focusing away from the pain. I come to PC gaming late. I'm 49 years old now. When I was healthy and working I was far too busy to game. I also used computers in my work and did not want to relax in front of a computer. Now I spend 85% of my waking hours in front of my laptop. I am restricted to a laptops because my one good hand has to straddle the mouse pad and keyboard. I don't think I'll be able to game in VR due to the controller situation. For the most part I've mastered gaming on a screen. Between re-assigning keys and using AutoHotKey, etc. I can play and enjoy most games. I can even hold my own playing 64-player Battlefield 4.

Now I'll have a desktop IN a laptop; thank you Asus! I would also be open to suggestions regarding the best/wallet-friendly VR headsets. Thank you in advance to anyone who has any advice or suggestions for me. Have a great day everyone.

7. hmscott

Reputations:
    Those test results are from a time before Spectre and Meltdown, those tests need to be re-run.

There are successes in those tests on both AMD and Intel results, so it will depend on what your software needs for best results.

AVX type acceleration is one "advantage" for Intel, but as we have seen AVX needs to be disabled on Prime95 to avoid cooking the CPU, so you won't want to run it for encoding either.

Purchase Intel broken security CPU's is a bad idea, so I and many others will recommend refraining from new purchases until Intel releases new CPU's.

Once those new architecture Intel CPU's have been proven in the field, for what - 10 years? - that's how long it took to find these Meltdown / Spectre bugs, so that sounds about right.

I'll buy Intel again in 10 years ;)

zdroj likes this.
  8. Papusan

Reputations:
    How old is Ryzen architecture? I wonder why AMD engineers wanted release throw out a new microarchitecture with the Spectre CPU flaws:D And from what you post.... More than 90% of all Gaming laptops - notebook workstations produced now and in the future (+10 years in time) is delivered with pure trash:p

Donald@zTecpc and hmscott like this.
  9. hmscott

Reputations:
    Hey, I am posting what others have already concluded, I'm only sharing the good news.

Even the CERT official security response was, hey, if it's an Intel CPU you gotta "Replace the CPU", even now -> that's the only mitigation that has a chance of working 100%.

You bought a pig in a poke, and it's now matured to it's full 400lb's of dead weight.

Enjoy running that fat boy around the benchmark world, towing the full dead weight of Meltdown and Spectre around it's neck.

Albatross!! - "That Intel CPU around my neck is worse than an Albatross!!"

Remember Ryzen+ and Ryzen 2.0 are coming right along to ease your Intel induced suffering, and AMD doesn't even have to beat Intel performance, it's just gotta work right - Intel still can't do that... oh, well. o_O

Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
  10. Papusan

Reputations:
    Fat or thin boy... +90% of all notebooks run Intel. I haven't the numbers, maybe you have? And I haven't counted in the lowest powered notebooks with Intel or AMD processors. From what I know... AMD wasn't a notebook option if you wanted more power (cpu-gpu) last year or before that.

Donald@zTecpc and hmscott like this.