]]>

Asus ROG GL702ZC owners lounge

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Deks, Oct 16, 2017.

1. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I've heard HIDevolution will do "special" requests, did you ask if they will order what you want and install it?

Alternatively you can order the memory you want and have it delivered to HIDevolution for installation. That way they can complete it and test if for you, and you don't need to open it up again - and risk needing to lift the heatpipes and re-paste.

2. zdroj

zdroj Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Ok...so here's the scoop:

I just talked to Ted @ HIDevolution. He assured me that, yes indeed, the heatsink does not need to be removed to get access to top ram slot and add/remove sticks. Apparently the tech people there have been getting more and more acquainted with this laptop and figuring out what is possible and what is not. So, I decided to add the top-notch thermal upgrade to my order. Great for me, but not too exciting for the rest of you unless you plan on experimenting with your ram, in which case it is somewhat exciting, I guess...

But wait! There's more! Ted also told me that since the processor is socketed, they are looking into seeing how the system reacts to putting a 1700X in it! Yes, they know all about wattage and thermals and what not, and they realize there may be some throttling and that some modifications may need to be made, but they are going for it!

So while I wouldn't hold my breath for an offering to become available anytime soon, I'm anxious to see what they come up with!

Robbo99999, Caretaker01 and hmscott like this.
  3. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Arghh, as I was reading your post I started thinking they were gonna give you a free upgrade to a 1700X so you could be a guinea pig for them - that would be cool! :)

hmscott and zdroj like this.
  4. zdroj

Reputations:
    I wouldn't mind beta-testing one, but I have a feeling that there will be too many kinks to work out such that it better stay in-house!

Robbo99999 and hmscott like this.
  5. Deks

Deks Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I'm telling you, it was a no-go for me for installing the RAM stick... was extremely awkward and borderline dangerous (because it could damage the stick - so I didn't want to risk it).
    The stick kept falling off when it was under the heat pipes, couldn't push it in properly, and after 30 mins of messing about I was starting to get worried I could damage the pins.
    But I also mentioned that you should try doing it yourself and see if you might end up with different results.

Anyway, I'm just upgrading the drivers to latest ones.
    Good to see improvements for RX 580.

Any idea on when we might get Wattman functionality on Windows for our RX 580?
    In addition to the core undervolt, I think the GPU memory would also benefit from the undervolt as well.

zdroj and hmscott like this.
  6. Caretaker01

Caretaker01 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    No idea when or if the Wattman miracle is going to happen, I just regularly check out and forums and happend to come across the release notes, also this update enabled GPU in task manager so that is good

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

zdroj and hmscott like this.
  7. zdroj

Reputations:
    I don't doubt you for a minute, Deks. I'm sure I speak for many when I state that I very much appreciate all of your efforts and the knowledge you've bestowed in this and the other thread.
    Hopefully by next week I'll be able to start reporting my findings as well, and much of what I will be doing will be based on your elucidations. I raise my glass to you! ;)Cheers!

hmscott and xsais like this.
  8. Deks

Deks Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    double post - please delete

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  9. Deks

Deks Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:

Looking forward to see how your unit holds up (please also let us know of your ASIC quality - I'm curious if later batches or those in the USA are of higher quality).

With CPU and GPU undervolt, the machine runs great.
    Nothing to complain about really (apart of course the low battery life).

Now if I can just be bothered to apply Gelid GC extreme and Thermal Pads, I'd be all set.
    :D

I'm actually glad I got the laptop (considering the horrific desktop GPU prices)... but I would prefer we get Wattman for VRAM undervolting (and also potentially lowering the voltage on the first 2 P states for the gpu).

Btw... what are the chances we will see a Zen 2 analogy of 1700 with a vega iGP and 12 cores/24threads?
    The new process should hopefully allow it (and the iGP addition might actually enhance the battery life by a lot).

Given what we know of IBM's 7nm process (of it allowing 5ghZ base), and overall reductions... It would be nice to see Zen 2 1700 with 12c/24th, 4GhZ and Vega iGP.
    Possible, or wishful thinking for more cores?
    side-grading to another 8c/16th would probably we fine as long as it comes with much higher clocks and a vega iGP in 65W.

zdroj likes this.
  10. zdroj

Reputations:
    Sounds like a dream comes true - and, I think it is entirely possible, I'm just not sure how soon....all that @65W might be asking a lot. Now if they went to, say, 95W and beefed-up the cooling...
    And that's my greatest "fear" about this laptop, if you can call it a "fear": something might come down the pike soon that is all AMD and better than this model, in which case I would be flipping this unit right quick!
    I just wish the aesthetics had been a bit different and that the machine had been marketed as something like a "mobile supercomputer", like what Eurocom does with the Clevo models, so as to encourage a wider demographic to buy in. And give me upgradeable dedicated graphics next time, and another NVMe slot - and ditch the 2.5" hard drive bay, and add two more DIMM slots in its place...with fries and a chocolate shake, pretty please!
    Asking too much? At the current price point, yeah probably. I know you lamented about the price of this laptop in the UK, but I'm happy that one can get a DTR like this, with an 8 core desktop processor, for as low as US$1399!